PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in a fly swap?

TroutDude
03-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Hey good people,

I'm just throwing out the idea of a possible swap. Maybe an early season tie? any ideas?

Dude

Trouttater
03-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Sounds like a good idea. Count me in. Spring/Early summer Smokies Patterns?

Griff
03-09-2007, 10:51 AM
I've been thinking about hosting a fly swap on here for a while. I'm not sure there are enough active members that tie, but there is nothing saying it has to be a big swap. I'm game.

rainshaker
03-09-2007, 12:11 PM
I'd participate....I can't guarantee you wouldn't cuss my flies (and maybe even my username), but I would be happy to participate :)

Midgeman
03-15-2007, 09:48 AM
I am a fairly new member, oK, I am a really new member on this board, but I would be up for a swap, especially of patterns for the Smokies. I am planning my first trip to your area for this June and I am just now starting to tie up the flies that you all have recommended. So I am would be very interested.

rainshaker
03-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Looks like we got at least 5 tiers...

How does this work, 5 patterns per tier?

Pattern suggestions, anyone?

Midgeman
03-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Well, I am interested in learning about more patterns from your neck of the woods, so I like the idea of a Smokey Mountain pattern swap. The flies that I use up here are a bit different (I use mostly size 18-22 midges alot of the time with some griffith gnats thrown in for good measure). Right now I am working on the Tellico Nymph and other "goto" flies I have read about on this board.

Griff
03-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Looks like we got at least 5 tiers...

How does this work, 5 patterns per tier?

Pattern suggestions, anyone?

Swaps usually work like this: Each person ties 1 pattern. You post the pattern you are going to tie so that there are no duplicates. If there are 5 people in the swap and the pattern that you have decided to tie is a green weenie, then you would tie 5 green weenies. Everyone sends their flies to a "swap miester" in a crushproof container along with a return envelope and return postage. When the SM gets everyone's package, he makes "sets" of the flies and sends them back to the participants. Everyone then has a complete set of flies.

Take a look at this post regarding swaps. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=15195

rainshaker
03-16-2007, 01:38 PM
Griff ,

Thanks for the explanation. I'm interested in the pattern known as the Smoky mtn. Blackbird Soft Hackle. I don't have the exact recipe for this one, but if someone here does, consider this my vote for adding that one to the mix.

I'm at work right now, but once I get home I'll look over my materials and post a smoky mtn pattern.

Sounds like fun, looking forward to it !

buckeyetrouter
03-17-2007, 07:51 AM
I would be interested, but midgeman would have to provide written gaurantees that there would be no litigation based on failed effectivness of any given pattern....lol....

buckeyetrouter

buckeyetrouter
03-17-2007, 01:08 PM
ok.....count me in....I'm either going to tie quill gordons or thunderhead dry...

buckeyetrouter
Go BUCKEYES....uhmm and Go Vols

Troutman
03-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Count me in also. I've traded flies alot with friends so this sounds like fun.
I'll submit a truly local Smoky Mtn. pattern called the "Cottontop" or "George Nymph". I use these in fairly large sizes as a stonefly but also in smaller sizes as an attractor below a dry. The late Eddie George originated this pattern. Hope I can do it justice!

rainshaker
03-17-2007, 03:53 PM
I think I'm gonna tie the rubber legged red-copper john. Hope this pattern is Smoky mountain enough.

buckeyetrouter
03-17-2007, 05:52 PM
O.K.......so who is the Swap Manager so we know who is going to be coordinating this.........the SM can make sure we don't have duplicate flies
and get everyone going (actually I ordered a bunch of material from LRO just this morning to get started )............... another ?.....if there are only a handful of participants, should we maybe tie two for each one involved? I just know that as a very effective Branch Manager, I loose my share of flies in the trees and if I only have one.....well, you know #$*@&$%$(

just my thoughts
buckeyetrouter
(how 'bout them bucks) - this could be bad, the bucks and vols are in the same bracket......uh-oh

Griff
03-17-2007, 06:56 PM
I just know that as a very effective Branch Manager, I loose my share of flies in the trees and if I only have one.....well, you know #$*@&$%$(

Branch Manager...LOL...that's funny right there.

OK guys, it looks like we have enough for a swap. I would be happy to be the SM if nobody objects. Make sure to read the link that I posted earlier, it will answer a lot of questions. Any Smokey Mountain pattern will be fine. I will try to tie a softhackle, I've never tied one before so I reserve the right to change my pattern later. We will limit this swap to 12 tiers including myself, so there is still room for a few more tiers. If we don't get anymore tiers, we might go to 2 of each pattern as suggested by Buckeye.

Trouttater
03-17-2007, 06:58 PM
By my count, we have at least seven participants, so we could do the two fly swap without too much trouble. I'm game either way. I am torn between tying either the Smoky Mtn Candy or my most successful mountain pattern which is the Hare's Ear Parachute. I will try and remember to call Daniel on Monday. Maybe we could send the flies to LRO and I will run up there and distribute them on a Sat. or one day after work.

Buckeye, can your boys make the Tourney any more exciting. Lets see if the Vols can make us proud tomorrow. It all depends on which team shows up. Go Vols!!!

Brad

Trouttater
03-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Griff,

Looks like we were typing at the same time. That will be great if you will be the SM and going with the Smokies theme, count me in for Smoky Mtn. Candy.

Brad

buckeyetrouter
03-17-2007, 08:45 PM
wow......I was all ready to start looking forward to next year when we have another 7 footer coming in who is as good as Oden but can hit fromt he 3 pt line also......guess I'll have to stick with the cardiac kids for a few more games.....ya know we could end up playing each other in the next game.....that would be awsome.......

hey Griff.....that one lone tree behind the ranger housing at elkmont that looks like it is adorned with hundreds of earings, look closer....those are fly donations from Abby and I.........

buckeyetrouter

TroutDude
03-18-2007, 04:28 PM
I'm in. I'm thinking about either a Jim Charley or a Hazel Creek. I've seen both tied by Roger Lowe.
Dude

Midgeman
03-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Buckeye, how 'bout this for a warranty? I think it is pretty fair.... really lookig forward to seeing you all's work. Thanks for letting me participate.

"LIMITED WARRANTY

For consideration, in hand exchanged, the undersigned tyer, hereby represents and warrants that the materials attached hereto (hereinafter refered to as "flies") are, more or less, free from defects (sorta) and probably won't come apart. Further, the undersigned tyer represents that he/she cleaned up the tying area pretty soon after tying the flies so as not to incur the wrath of the undersigned tyers signficant However, nothing in this really limited warranty should be construed as a guarantee that it will actually catch fish work or be fit for any purpose. The undersigned tyer does represent and warrant that the flies aforementioned, will, if throw with sufficient force and with the required amount of lack of planning, snag, inter alia, clothing, ears, hats, eyes, trees, children, cats, dogs.

If you, as the recipient, are not completely satisfied with the above referenced and described flies, please return such flies, attached and affixed to a 9' 5wt custom bamboo fly rod along with a sufficient remuneration to fund an exploratory trip to Kamchatka to test the efficacy and trout-worthiness of said flies."

rainshaker
03-20-2007, 10:30 AM
The undersigned tyer does represent and warrant that the flies aforementioned, will, if throw with sufficient force and with the required amount of lack of planning, snag, inter alia, clothing, ears, hats, eyes, trees, children, cats, dogs.

This sounds fair....but I'd suggest adding the verbage"...ducks,tubes, tubers and or their navigators." ;)

buckeyetrouter
03-20-2007, 04:06 PM
ok Midgeman....how 'bout I just take your word on it....lol...that was a great response though......

this is the first time tying the quill gordon but with the recipe on Mr Hartzel board I believe I can do a fair job.....and as you stated, maybe it won't come apart.......

looking forward to the exchange and even more exchanges....

buckeyetrouter

Troutman
03-20-2007, 04:46 PM
buckeyetrouter, Hey don't forget to soak the quills before tying them on. The first time I tied a quill body I got very frustrated with them till I reread the instructions in a tying book.
I am going to hopefully start on the george nymphs tonight. I may tie one in the smaller standard size and the other in a larger Stonefly version if thats OK.
Hope you guys don't mind a little lead also.!!

buckeyetrouter
03-20-2007, 07:57 PM
talk to me Troutman....where is this book and is it available in broken english so I can understand it???????? Truthfully, first time I heard 'bout soaking the hackle for the quill gordons.....but I am fairly new at tying dries.........

buckeyetrouter

rainshaker
03-21-2007, 03:14 AM
submerge the quills for a minute of two before wrapping them on as a body. The moisture makes quills behave more like a piece of thread and less like a metal spring. Also, if you're using peacock, a little water allows one to strip-off the herl <the green stuff> with ease.

Troutman
03-21-2007, 07:37 AM
The only tying book I have is titled "The Art of Fly Tying" from the hunting and fishing library press. You may have seen this book at Kmart or Walmart in the sporting goods of all places. I was surprised when I found it there. It is Hardbound cover with spiraled pages with a picture of a Royal Wulff dry fly on the cover. It is very basic but has great pictures and explanations of procedures of different materials and types of flies. Once you learn the basic procedure on say tying a quill body then you use it on all the different quill body recipes. Same on tying parachutes or divided wings flies.
The quill,as rainshaker said, needs to be soaked in a glass of water for about a minute so it will bend around the hook without breaking. I use a pencil eraser to rub off the fibers on a peacock herl before the soaking. Tie in about one-third hookshank length from the bend and wrap forward. Wind stem back toward bend in an open spiral. Reverse direction and wrap forward in a tight spiral overlapping to form a smooth body profile that is tapered. You can apply some lacquer over the quill for durability.
Hope I didn't ramble on too much. I sat down and tied up about 15-16 george nymphs last night. Some are going in my flybox! They are much easier to tie than what several of the members are doing. Looking forward to getting everyones flies.

Midgeman
03-21-2007, 03:34 PM
Man, I was just hoping that one of you all would agree and I could get my very first cane rod... oh, well.

On the book issue, the only book I have at present is the Fly Tying Bible or something along those lines. Not a bad book for beginners. Been looking for the Benchside book, but that is pretty pricey. So, for now, I find most of my information by picking the brains of you fine folks. I also love Craven's webpage (he has great suggestions and easy to follow instructions). I am a self-taught tyer so I use the internet quite a bit for me learnin'

Looking forward to getting these flies submitted to you all. THis weekend is my littlest daughters baptism, so I will be busy with that, but I plan on getting them out early next week.

Midgeman
04-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Hey folks. Time got a way from me as work has been very crazy the last month. I will get my flies out by Friday if it isn't too much trouble. I am sorry about the delay, normally I try and get things done well in advance, but this time I think I bit off more than I can chew. Can you pm me the address to send the flies? I will be finishing them up this evening.

Troutman
04-18-2007, 09:50 AM
Send Griff a PM and he will send you his addy. He extended the deadline to the 30th also.