PDA

View Full Version : Stud Sole Boots in GSMNP?

Plunker
03-08-2007, 11:55 PM
"To stud sole...or not to stud sole...that is the question?"

Hi folks,
Planning a trip in early spring to the park...my wading boots are stud soles...Not hiking in them just fishing in them.how much trouble/ heartaches/ footaches...can I expect?
or are Plain felties better up there? :confused:

rainshaker
03-09-2007, 12:42 AM
Go with the Studs...

For years I only had one pair of stud-less wading boots, until a friend finally talked me into adding some small tin-roof screws (they sell these at LRO) to my soles. Honestly, the first time out I didn't notice a comfort difference but as you know, the amount of traction one gains on underwater rocks is quite noticable.

I say use the studs. There's a lot to be said for remaining up-right.

pmike
03-09-2007, 01:20 AM
Some folks are upset at the prospect of weraing studded boots in the park, but at my age I figure they are mighty cheap insurance against a visit to the emergency room. I also use a Simm's wading staff my wife bought for me from LRO a couple of Christmases back.

I will also add that my wading boats are the Korkers Outfitters with the convertible soles so I can change to plain felt for use in a boat or to rubber lug soles for hiking in without undue wera on the felt or stud soles.

Mike

Waterborn
03-09-2007, 09:57 AM
2nd the Korkers - same reason I got them...as far as really needing studs, it may be a case of having them and not needing them than the other way around. But the only place I've seen really wanting them is on Abrams - slickern' snot on door knob - and the advice there really is to have a good wading staff. But even then with staff and studs, I've had buddies get baptized in the soft waters of the cove...

Plunker
03-09-2007, 10:53 AM
My wife, my credit card companies, and my bank account thank you. Now that I don't feel the need to buy new waders and boots (currently have Silver Label Bootfoot w/studs)...that Winston 3 wt is a phone call away;) .

Thanks Guys, I appreciate your responses!
See you in the Creek