PDA

View Full Version : Droppers

gmc
03-09-2007, 11:22 PM
I have been reading the message board for a while now and am still new to the board. I love fishing in the Smokies and just enjoy the time I get to have when I am up in the area. There is an awsome amount of information that everyone can cram in their mind. I have but one question for the moment " What is the best way to tie on a dropper?" There are several ways I would imagine, so how would you guys go about it?
Thanks,
GMC from W.TN

Gerry Romer
03-09-2007, 11:42 PM
For me, the most direct way is also the simplest and least "messy". Tie a length of tippet material - I believe the regs in the park call for a minimum of 18" but I usually tie on about 24" - to the bend of the hook of your dry fly/stimulator. Then tie your dropper to the other end. Simple, clean and linear for less mess (tangles and wind knots).

Gerry

Stonefly
03-10-2007, 12:17 PM
I'm heading to the White River next month. I read something on line that made me suspect that droppers may not be allowed there? Anyone know if you're limited to single fly, using a standard indicator rather than a dry fly?

sb

FLYFSN
03-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Tie tippet material to the bend of hook, use the Pitzen knot. It is fast,small,strong. Hugh Hartsell, put me on to this knot. You can google.com the pitzen knot up. Hope this helps. Paul

Sage
03-13-2007, 04:14 PM
I agree with tying to the bend. It's amazing how much more interesting fishing becomes when you start using droppers. As for which knot, well, I'm always willing to learn a new one so I'm going to research this pitzen knot. Anything to save more time and not(knot) sacrifice strength.

BuckeyeRick
03-23-2007, 12:09 PM
You might want to check this out. The knot is so easy it's hard to believe.

http://www.pechetruite.com/Noeuds/Davy-knot.htm