PDA

View Full Version : Has any one ever done this!?!?!

FFM4LIFE
03-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Ok, so i have a pretty interesting story for any one wo reads this. I was fishing at a good friend of mines house today in a pond he has on his farm. I was using a #10 BH Olive wooley Bugger. I cast a few times and had nothing. I cast one more time and my phone on the other side of the pond was ringing. So, I layed down my fly rod ran and answered my phone and came back. I started to reel in a felt somthing VERY heavy on my line. I thought i had caught a large tree. All of a sudden i saw some riples and before i knew it i saw a head out of the water hissing at me. My friend yells "Its a snapping turtle!!" and i said ya right its a tree. But come to find out i caught a HUGE snapping turtle probaly 30 pounds on a #5 wieght fly rod and 10pound test line. The turtle was hissing like crazy and i was so amazed to catch a snapping turtle on a fly rod!! Has any body else ever done this before?!?!

buckeyetrouter
03-11-2007, 08:33 PM
hmmmmm, I've never caught a turtle on a fly rod, but I have tail hooked a nice size carp and it felt like a tarpon (not really a tarpon, I've never hooked a tarpon)..man it was crazey fun......

buckeyetrouter

David Knapp
03-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Not on a fly rod but.....I hooked a good sized snapping turtle several years ago throwing a buzzbait on a little stream in Oklahoma. Scared me pretty good, I cut the line...:rolleyes:

ijsouth
03-11-2007, 09:14 PM
I've caught turtles before...not on a fly, but on pretty light tackle...there was also this time, when I was into bass fishing and the action was slow. I started teasing this little gator with my plastic worm...he kept nibbling it until there was hardly any worm left. He ended up hooking himself, which I kinda felt badly about - I went ahead and cut the line. They're tough - I'm sure the hook rusted out.

rainshaker
03-11-2007, 09:57 PM
I hit a flying duck on my back-cast once...Surely that counts for something:)

Vern
03-11-2007, 10:39 PM
I have also caught trutles on light tackle. But my best was when I was a 12 or 13 yr old. I was camping next to a farm pond and was fishing with grashoppers for Bluegills for lunch, when a rainstorm came up and we ran back to camp. After the storm we went back to fish and my brand new rod and reel was gone. In the water about 3feet out was my rod. I wadded in and pulled my rod off the bottom reeled in the slack and all a sudden the line took off and the drag screamed. 10 mins. later I pulled in a bullhead catfish about 15#. Needless to say we had a nice lunch.
You would figure that I learned my lesson at an early age. But Percy Preist lake has # high dollar Bait cast rod and reels from when I use to Bass fish. Two were lost when I would be worm fishing and my buddy would hook one and needed me to net it. Either a bass hit the worm or I snaged on the bottom. The third one was when I was fishing the Jumps with a top water bait, reeled in and threw toward the next jump, Rod and all. Makes you feel perrty stupid.

geerona
03-11-2007, 10:42 PM
I've caught turtles while smallmouth fishing with soft craws before but not on a fly rod. My best catch yet was a Cobra hand held Walkie Talkie and before someone ask it did not work althought it looked to have been lost recently. I wonder if I needed an FCC license to keep it?http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

Wishin' I wuz fishin', g <*))))><

MTN_TRT
03-12-2007, 08:28 AM
Yeah I caught a turtle on time. A big 'un! Like 50lbs. It looked like a dinosaur. I reached down and got him at the neck and chocked him on the spot. We had soup that night. Actually, I made that up.....never caught a turtle.

Nharrier
03-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Never caught a turtle but at sunrise at Blind Pass, St. Petersburg Beach, Florida, I was fly fishing on the back side of a rock jetty and I got into a school of lady fish. On the back cast the leader wrapped around the wing of a flying laughing gull. Well the gull came down on the beach with a little coaxing. It was then that I noticed that I had an audience on the porch at the local breakfast shop. I cooly took off my T shirt, threw it over the gull, kneeled down, unwrapped the leader (fortunately, the #2 streamer did not embed itself in the wing), removed the T shirt, and the gull flew away. The audience stood and applauded. I was more amazed than they were, not to mentioned relieved!

appalachian angler
03-12-2007, 09:20 AM
I have caught them on spinning gear with bait such as leopard frogs while fishing for bass. I have also caught soft shell turtles in Georgia while fishing with chicken livers for catfish...they ain't so friendly when hooked either!

AA

Sage
03-12-2007, 02:42 PM
A few years ago, I was at a friend's cabin at "Top of the World". It's midway across Foothills Parkway. Anyway, we were at this pond and some kid had a little junior beginner rod & reel set. He was casting with only a hook on the line out a few feet and reeling it in when all the sudden, POW, this snapping turtle hit that hook and took off a little ways. The kid threw the rod down and started running. I picked up the rod and we landed a 25lb or so snapper.

Rog 1
03-12-2007, 04:09 PM
No turtles but the wildest catch was a red tail hawk....I was fishing for bass on a small lake at my dad's retirement community with a small popping plug when a shadow came over my shoulder and the hawk dove on the plug and hooked itself.....there I was with an ultra light spinning rod and 4 pound test with this hawk flying around like a june bug on some thread....my trout fishing buddy was with me on Tremont late one eveing casting a small EHC to some rising trout when his fly was set upon by a large dragon fly....don't know who was surprise more.

patillac
03-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Nharrier: lived in Treasure Island for 8 months in '05. Lots of reds, mangrove snapper and permit in those channels.

I've caught a mess of gulls while fishing salt flats for snook or trout. It never fails to crack me up. Usually they don't hook themselves, they just dive down and try to fly away with my greenback, then get their neck jerked back and drop it. Caught a few softshells before.

out4trout
03-12-2007, 07:54 PM
I have never hooked a turtle with a flyline before but I have hooked plenty of trees and branches. That counts for something doesn't it?

ijsouth
03-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Tree fish, stick fish, grass fish...they all count...;)

Vern
03-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Caught a peligan off the myrtle beach pier once. Cut the line and ran.

mtnman2888
03-12-2007, 08:47 PM
I did that today as a matter of fact! I was fishing at my house in a pond (with a spinning rod) when i threw the line out and a tangle ensued. When the lure hit the water, i proceeded with getting the tangle out. I finally got it out and when i picked up the lure i had a huge fish on it!! I was bass and crappie fishing and i thought i had just gotten a lunker! Turns out, it was a catfish, although a nice one at that, probably about 5 lbs.

Craig

choctaw
03-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Some years back I was running a 35 foot Chris Craft off Dauphin Island, Alabama fishing for spanish mackerel. Had a bunch of fun time, beer drinking Jaycees aboard. Located a bunch of birds above a large area of bait fish that were in a surface breaking frenzy thus indicating possible spanish mackerel (or something) feeding on them. One of the young fellows came inside the cabin and said. "Cap'n, best you come back. Your deck-hand needs some help!" Well, my deckhand was holding onto a small guy that had hold of a big rod that had hold of a very large pelican (looked like about an eight feet wing spread) that had dove into the feeding frenzy and took hold of something that he/she could not turn loose! The pelican was probably at least 50 feet in the air and was doing circles around the boat. The problem: Do you cut the line and let it go or do you haul it in? The artificial plastic lure's treble hooks would most likely not rust soon enough so the bird would probably die from starvation or bleed to death. Do you get the 12 gauge shotgun out from my locker and shoot the bird? Or do you haul it in? Now if you have not seen a hooked bird on a boat deck...It's a pitiful sight! It is not fun to see the creature violently suffering, possibly breaking a wing fighting with all its heart, or likely hurting someone, in addition. So, I took the rod and sent the deckhand to fetch a blanket from the locker below. Took about ten minutes for three of us to get it safely aboard, covered it with the blanket, gently exposed its head, removed the lure with a hook retriever and safely released the terrified pelican. And thank God no one got hurt!!

But Vern, like you though, I wish I could have run!!!!! Capturing and releasing any hooked bird or animal, rather than eliminating it, is the humanitarian thing to attempt but in every case is very dangerous doin's...whether in a boat, in a stream or on land!! "He don't think it funny!!!"

Choctaw

snaildarter
03-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Things other than fish I've caught:

- Several snapping turtles in my youth in farm ponds. They like little beetle spins.
- Bull frogs, as many as you want, again in farm ponds. They like flies, even popping bugs.
- A pelican in St. Andrews park in Florida. Was flinging frozen cigar minnows off the jetties for gulf blue fish and he dove into the water to get it. It had gang hooks in it so the bird ended up hooking his bill onto his wing. It was both comical and horrible. I tried to reel him in, but he broke the line. So the bird flailed in the water for about 10 minutes until some fishermen in a boat saw him and rescued him.
- A big creek snake, when I was about 3 years old. Mom and I were feeding minnows in a tiny creek beside our trailer by putting white bread balls on a bluegill hook. The minnows never got hooked but it was fun to watch them nibble at it. This snake came darting out from under the bank we were sitting on and bit the hook. Mom and I screamed and ran off. She went back to get the pole, and the snake had apparently never really hooked itself. Gosh, I remember that snake looking like an anaconda. But I guess it was maybe 2 feet long.
- Dad and I were fishing in Old Hickory Lake when I was about 13. In the back of a cove, we were fishing topwater plugs (Mann's Baby -1) when this barn owl swooped down and grabbed his plug. It went flying off, taking drag, and tried to land on a branch. While struggling it fell off the branch, so for a moment there you have this huge bird hanging from the branch upside down with a lure caught in its foot. It wiggled itself free after a few moments, stood up on the branch for probably 30 full seconds staring at us, and then flew off. Dad gave one quick jerk and the plug sailed free of the tree back into the water. He got his plug back!
- An old buddy of mine from years ago named Randal (he used to work in that Orvis shop in Gatlinburg) once hooked a foot-long hellbender salamander in the lower part of Abrams Creek. He was very scared to even touch it.
- I once left a mess of fishing line on the bank when I was about 12. I came back the next day and 2 birds had tangled and died in it. That really marked me good. To this day I always pick up fishing line whenever I see it.
- And last, one of the neighbors d***ed dogs. Dad and I were going fishing and had the poles leaned up against the house. The stupid dog decided it would be good to bite at a spinnerbait. He got hooked in the lip real good when he decided to run off through the yard. Once he felt pain, he ran faster, which made it worse. We had to restrain him and push the hook on through his lip and cut the end of the hook off so we could get it out of him.

Josh

Kentucky Kid
03-15-2007, 04:34 PM
I haven't caught any turtles on a fly rod but I have caught some on a spinning rod while catfishing with cut bluegill.

stuart
03-18-2007, 07:14 PM
I did one time on a smallie trip lay a rod down after casting a WB out to do a "nature call" and looked the line was goign out hooked something really strong. I still wonder what it was since it came off. But I may never know.

STU