PDA

View Full Version : Wow, nice to meet you all!

HikeandFish
03-11-2007, 08:43 PM
I was transferred from Pennsylvania to North Carolina six years ago and instantly feel in love with the GSMNP! The opportunity to fish in remote areas is so much greater than in PA. Don’t get me wrong PA has great limestone spring creeks and some remote freestone streams, but most are crowded. One has to love the chance to fish a couple mile stretch of a stream and never see another angler. Of course the beauty of the GSMNP is also breath taking.
I love to hike and fish and have hiked 2000 miles of the Appalachian Trail, all the trails in GSMNP (750 miles), most of the trails in Shenandoah National Park and many in the White mountains of NH and the Adirondacks’ in NY. Most trails are ridge top affairs, so on the rare occasions I got to rest by streams and watch rainbows rise for insects and browns chase minnows I said I got to try this fly fishing thing! The last two years I have spent weekends fly fishing/backpacking in NC, TN and VA. Some favorite areas include Little Bottoms on Abrams Creek, the big shoe on Abrams, Bumgardner bend on Deep Creek , Campsite #24 on Little River (when the bears behave) and the South Mills River in NC.
Everyone I met at the Little River Fly Shop is friendly and helpful and the people on this site are great. It is a pleasure to meet you all! I hope I can learn from you and share a few trout fishing experiences.

HikeandFish

David Knapp
03-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Welcome to the board!

RFowler
03-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Great post, H&F. Welcome.:) The park is a magical place. Don't forsake the great fishing elswhere. There's great variety down here!

Sage
03-12-2007, 02:54 PM
H & F,
Nice post. I've found this board to be full of pleasant people. Just as the Park can recharge your battery, the people on the board can restore your faith that there are still good people out there. Since you hike so much, how do you handle boot/shoe selection? Different pairs OR one for both? Curious.

fishlicker
03-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Welcome aboard HikeandFish,

The Letort humbled me, Big Spring Creek amazed me, and Yellow Breeches made me wonder how many trout could fit into one small spring creek and not pile up in the parking lot! :)

I've been to PA twice to flyfish for trout, and although it's really nice and the people were very friendly too....there's nothing like a freestone stream rolling wildly down the side of a mountain! :)

Welcome to the boards, and to the South. We'll have you Southernized in a few more years. You eatin' grits yet? :)

HikeandFish
03-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Hey Sage,
Thanks. I carry Orvis Ultra-Light wading shoes (38 ounces) that provide good ankle support. If I wet wade I use neoprene socks, if early spring I carry light Gore-tex waders. I like the ankle support with the Orvis waders especially on Forney, Abrams and Noland creek. Slippery streams they are! I hike to the streams in light weight hiking boots. Total pack weight 30-35 lbs. for 2-3 days camping/fishing.

HikeandFish
03-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Hi Fishlicker,

Hate to admit it, but I have not aquired a taste for grits, Brunswick stew or eastern NC pork barbecue! Still love Philly cheese steaks, cream cheese and Philly pizza shops. However, love these mountain streams and the lower population density down here. North of Richmond, VA it gets crazy fast!

Must say I fished Yellow Breeches catch-and-release area last August. Some stream! 70 degrees by one stream bank, 55 degrees by the other bank. Like you said the the fish are piled up like an I-95 traffic jam in Philladelphia! You can fish all day in one spot. Funny the comparison of NC streams to Yellow Breeches. On NC streams I would say Stealth = Presentation >> fly selection on Yellow Breeches no stealth needed but presentation and fly selection very important. It's a different world down here.

HikeandFish
03-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Hi RFowler,

Thanks. In addition to those mentioned I have fished Hazel Creek, Noland creek, Forney creek, Wilson Creek, Cheoah Lake, Lost Cove Creek, and Nantahala River in NC and the Smith River in VA. Any suggestions for outstanding freestone or tailwater fishiing in TN or VA? Your personal favorites?

mtnman2888
03-14-2007, 05:47 AM
I'm pretty new to the tailwater thing, but i'm making my second trip to the s holston river this weekend and it's a nice little fishery, you should give it a shot.

Craig