PDA

View Full Version : Rookie lookin' for help...

teefly
03-12-2007, 04:01 PM
I know this question has probably been asked about a million times on this board, but I went back quite a few pages and did not see any answers, so I'll ask again. Looking for advice on camping near Townsend/National Park. Coming down in May in order to beat the crowds after schools let out. We'll be tent camping, really want to be as close to the water as possible, and would kind of like to be able to have my truck nearby the campsite. Comforts and amenities are not as important to my group as being close to prime fishing access.

What are my choices?

Thanks in advance!

Teefly

David Knapp
03-12-2007, 04:13 PM
Based on what you are looking for, I would highly recommend Elkmont campground in the park. It has become my favorite if fishing is the top priority of the trip... It is more centrally located to a lot of water and is right on the East Prong of Little River. Cades Cove campground is very nice also and my favorite overall... Whichever you decide on, make reservations to guarantee a spot. See the park site (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/frontcountry-camping.htm) on camping for more details...

teefly
03-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Thanks for that info and the park website. I checked the maps of both Elkmont and Cades Cove, and Cades Cove does not seem to have any campsites right on the water, but Elkmont's map shows many that appear to be streamside sites. Is that the case?

Teefly

David Knapp
03-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Yes... Cades Cove has sites close to the stream but not on it. If you want sites on the water at Elkmont though, you have to reserve them (for a guarantee...they are usually the first to fill) and it costs an extra $3.00 a night. They are very nice sites though and worth the extra $$$ in my opinion...

out4trout
03-12-2007, 08:00 PM
I have camped at both Cades Cove and Elkmont. Both are great campgrounds and you can't go wrong with either one. I would not recommend Tremont Outdoor Resort. It has a nice website (don't let it fool you) and offers more ammenities but I have had some bad experiences there.

fishlicker
03-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Also, check with the Park folks about a reservation - if I'm not mistaken, they don't take reservations until later in the year...but I could be wrong - I am the king of "being wrong", trust me. :)
I second Elkmont.

The positives: Great water nearby, nice campground, almost in-between Gatlinburg and Townsend, and not far from Walker Camp prong.
Negatives: It's a big campground( so is Cades Cove though), mostly shaded( but it'll be warm by then anyway) and alot of people (just like us) love it. :)

Troutman
03-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Elkmont sites can only be reserved for between May 15- Oct.31. The campground is partially open now (I drove through it this past weekend) Everything is first come, first serve until then. I believe Cades cove is open yearround. Smokemont is another nice campground on the water over the mtn. on the NC side.

Gerry Romer
03-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Here's another vote for Elkmont. However, The Tremont campground mentioned above by out4trout may be your best bet because it was recently sold. Unless I'm mistaken, the old owners were hired on to manage the place. But new ownership may mean they'll be making a greater effort to accommodate. Of course, new ownership may just be another reason to avoid Trermont. Best to call and check it all out. Just so you know, Tremont campground is the only one mentioned so far that is NOT in the GSMNP. It's the last public, privately owned campground before the Townsend-side entrance to the park. Unfortunately, by mid-May it will be infested with tubers...

Gerry

Kevin_Thomas
03-13-2007, 12:35 AM
Elkmont is very hard to beat. I also like the Little River Village when I want quick access to town. I'll be at LRV during Troutfest!

sammcdonald
03-13-2007, 08:51 AM
there is a new reservation system in place which will allow you to reserve the exact campsite you want. done on-line is easiest. can reserve at cades, elkmont, and smokemont. all others remain without reservations.

teefly
03-13-2007, 02:15 PM
I really appreciate all the advice. I went with Elkmont for a nice riverside site. I'll be stopping by Little River Outfitters when I get in town to get some advice and buy some flies and stuff. Once again...thanks for your help.

teefly

Gerry Romer
03-14-2007, 12:34 AM
Good choice. I noticed you're posting from Cincy. Whereabouts? if I might ask... I was born and raised there. Moved here in '84. Don't really get back up there much and, yes, the mountains may have something to do with that.

Gerry

teefly
03-14-2007, 08:38 AM
Thanks for responding. I'm from Maineville (near Lebanon). If you were in Cincy in the 80's you've probably never heard of it, but it is one of those little villages that is now a real estate boomtown. I fell in love with the Townsend area when I was on a four-day golf trip in the Gatlinburg area a few years ago. I got tired of playing 36 holes everyday and on the third day I announced to the group that I was going fishin' and they were not pleased. But I did a little research, found LRO, stopped in and got some advice and had a glorious day on my own. I still have no idea where they sent me to fish (probably Cade's) but I have been itching to get back ever since. So I found a couple friends who've agreed to go, but they have never fly fished before. This means I will probably be tying knots and "guiding" for them for three days rather than fishing myself, but that's OK. At least I will be back in the area and getting more familiar with things. I can see why you never came back to Cincy!

Teefly

teefly
03-14-2007, 08:42 AM
We'll be there May 18, 19, 20. Feel free to join us if you have the time. I'll give you my cell phone number. On the other hand, if you don't feel like baby-sitting a bunch of newbies, I can sure understand that!

Teefly:p

teefly
03-14-2007, 04:19 PM
There was actually another question...

I want to get a head start on tying some flies for me and my rookie pals to leave hanging in the trees. If we manage to get a few flies actually into the water, what patterns should they be for the Little River, Abrams, etc? This will be in mid May. What will be hatching?

teefly

Gerry Romer
03-19-2007, 08:49 PM
I was raised in Greenhills - about 20 miles north of Cincy. Left in '68 to go to college in Columbus and never really looked back. Worked in downtown Cincy for a few years after college and left for good in '75. My mother's still living up there in Westchester and I get back up there maybe once a year. It's certainly been odd to see the sprawl - kinda like the didymo in the Clinch:eek: Anyway, I've got a fairly good idea of where you're situated.

Are you planning on making it in for Troutfest? I'm generally working Friday evenings and Saturdays 'til about 3:00, so I don't get over there for the dinner or the early doin's on Saturday. Usually, if I can get off early, I'll stop by Troutfest on Saturday before heading up to the park to chase rainbows. I try to make it there every year for the better part of the Sunday show... and go fishing in the afternoon.

Troutfest is nice. It's not really as big as they make it sound, but there is something for everyone. And it is very educational. I've been every year and have the t-shirts to show for it;)

The twist this year is the first ever "LRO-message-board-members-cookout-at-Metcalf Bottoms"! Now THAT could be a hoot!! If you've been reading these boards for a while then you know what I'm talking about. If not, PM me and I'll find you a couple threads to point you in the right direction.

Maybe we can meet up at Troutfest Saturday afternoon, head up to Metcalf Bottoms and swap lies with the other members and make plans for a Sunday trip.:cool:

As for recommended flies, you can't go wrong with Adams in sizes 14, 18, 20 - Parachute Adams in the same sizes - the infamous BHPT (bead head pheasant tail) in sizes 12 - 18, Tellico nymphs from size 8 down to about size 14, EHC from sizes 12 -18, and of course the ever-popular green weenie. I imagine that if you took the time to drill way down through the "Fishing the Smoky Mountain streams" threads to May of last year, you'd find all of these listed and probably the recipies too.

Let me know if you need me any more specific info.

Gerry

TchJim
03-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Gerry,
As a new message board member, Can you steer me in the direction to sign up for the LRO Cookout at Metcalf bottoms???
Jim

Gerry Romer
03-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Gerry,
As a new message board member, Can you steer me in the direction to sign up for the LRO Cookout at Metcalf bottoms???
Jim
This link will take you to the thread about the cookout. Lucky for you someone just threw up another post in the thread so it should be moved back up to the top of the heap.

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67

teefly
03-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Gerry,

I was not aware that I was going to be there the weekend of the Fest, but that is great news. If I was going to be alone I would say that I definitely will be there, but since I'm travelling with guys who have never flyfished before I have to take their wishes into consideration. If we have a productive Friday evening and Saturday morning of fishing, then they might really get jazzed about the idea of going to the Fest...but if it's a bust, then I think they'll lose interest in the whole fly thing real quick! I'm already having trouble keeping them from bringing golf clubs! So...as we get closer to the date I'll keep in touch and let you know what the plan is. It would be nice to meet up with you.

Thanks for the fly tips...I'd better get busy tying!

Gerry Romer
03-20-2007, 02:30 PM
That is, indeed, the weekend of Troutfest. I was thinking it would probably be a good way to introduce the guys to fly fishing. It's a moderately big open-air affair staged in the field behind the Townsend Visitors Center. The part out front usually looks like your typical crafts fair (with the tents that's pretty much what it is), but the real FF action is out back. At the far end of the field is a large tent to house the exhibitors. Exhibits include fly tying, rod building, TWRA fisheries habitats, and TU of course. The food vendors are set up around the perimeter of the main field - about a half dozen or so. The main field is kept open for fly casting contests, demonstrations, etc.

Y'all could hit Troutfest first for about an hour - hey it's free! - then head to LRO (as Byron says, "Stop by, grab a cup of coffee...") to get further juiced up before heading into the park!

Just a thought

teefly
03-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Gerry,

That is a good plan and I'm sure I'll be able to talk them into going to the Fest at some point. However, I just took a minute to read Byron's "Fishing Tips" on this site and considering his description of hard you have to work to catch these spooky wild trout, I don't see my buddies sticking with this at all. If only they had a beer vendor at the Fest, I'm sure I'd have no trouble talking them into going!

Sounds like a great time, and I'll definitely be stopping at LRO. Do they know you there?

Paula Begley
03-20-2007, 05:49 PM
Sounds like a great time, and I'll definitely be stopping at LRO. Do they know you there?

Gerry who? ;)

Paula

Gerry Romer
03-20-2007, 10:37 PM
Gerry who? ;)

Paula

Waddya think, Paula... wanna go halfsies on a beer tent? we could probably make a killing off these guys;)

Gerry

teefly
03-20-2007, 11:30 PM
we are going to have to split that concession three ways! After all, I'm the one bringing in the only customers!:rolleyes:

teefly

Paula Begley
03-21-2007, 07:52 AM
Waddya think, Paula... wanna go halfsies on a beer tent? we could probably make a killing off these guys

HAHA! Keep us out of your nefarious plans! ;) We have heard of liquor liability! :eek:

Paula

teefly
03-21-2007, 09:19 AM
you have not heard my ideas to install a dance floor and some pinball machines at LRO! Might help keep revenues up during the slow months. Think about it!

teefly

( P.S. - Gerry, do you know anything about being a deejay?)

Woody
03-21-2007, 08:03 PM
Elkmont is the best, Abrams Creek off of Happy Hollow road is very good as well. Tryed the on line resevation service last year and it works great

Paula Begley
03-21-2007, 10:21 PM
you have not heard my ideas to install a dance floor and some pinball machines at LRO! Might help keep revenues up during the slow months. Think about it!

teefly

( P.S. - Gerry, do you know anything about being a deejay?)

Obviously, you two need to meet up! Please get together at the picnic...we need to see if you two are indeed John Travolta look-a-likes! :pThe Park will not know what to do about disco-dancin at the pavillion!

Paula

btw...ixnay on the inballpay at LRO! ;)