View Full Version : Anyone able to get out during the "heat wave"?

03-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Hello all, just wondering if anyone has been able to sneak out on the water during our first really warm spell of the year and how the fishing was. Everything looks pretty good, especially for tomorrow and thursday. The warmer temperatures at night should really pick the fishing up. I sure do hope that someone is able to get out there!


Hugh Hartsell
03-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Craig I had a client today on Little River and the Middle Prong. It was a pretty tough day and sort of hard to figure out. You would have thought that the flies would have been hatching off like crazy and the fish going wild...but not so. It was a beautiful day but the insects did not come out to play and the fish were just as scarce. We only found a few isolated sections that had any insect activity with fish feeding. I don't know if it was the cold last night or if it was barometric pressure, but the fish were just shut down. We fished BWOs, Quill Gordons, BWO Emergers and Blackbirds to no avail. We finally caught some on Blackbird Deerhair Emergers. I hope it's better later in the week. The water is in excellent shape.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

03-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Well shawn and i are planning to go to the s holston on saturday and hopefully the fish will be cooperating there. That doesn't make much sense about today. Like you, i would have thought the insect activity would have been good. Well if the weather is going to be anything like it is over here, it's not going to get cold tonight and tomorrow night, so the fishing the following days should be good, or at least one would think. Nobody seems to be reporting really good fishing yet, i still think that we are a week or two off, but then again what do i know? I thought the fishing would be good today.


03-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Hey does the rapid change in temperature, change the fishes attitude?

Gerry Romer
03-13-2007, 11:41 PM
Remembering last year's late day hatches, I thought I'd try some early evening fishing in the park. I made it out late yesterday afternoon. Got over to a stretch of the East Prong above Metcalf Bottoms a little before 6 pm. I'd gotten tired of feeding trees along the Middle Prong so I opted for a stretch that was fairly wide and flat and right-handed (if you know what I mean). I picked a stretch that runs roughly NE to SW that was still in full sun and had been all day. Threw a few nymphs into the fast water below the wide flat and managed to catch a few rocks:( . I continued to wade through the fast water to the bottom of the flat pool. At this point the water widens out to about 25 yards and the depth varies from a few inches to a few feet in the center channels. I switched to dries and started out throwing a size 14 Adams. I switched to a few more dries and then it happened. At about 7:10 the hatch started. Just a couple little Quill Gordons at first floating lazily above the water. I was standing mid-stream and going through my fly box trying to make up my mind what to tie on when I noticed that it wouldn't make any difference because the fish weren't taking anything.

As I looked upstream and across to the far bank looking for any kind of takes, the few lazily floating bugs became a cloud of very active Quill Gordons:eek: At about 7:20 the feeding started but not what you'd call a frenzy by a far stretch. I watched some fairly loud fish taking something off the surface so I started throwing a size 14 Quill Gordon and watched it float lazily through channel after channel as I worked my way across the stream. Nothing :confused:.

I thought, well... maybe they're taking emergers... So I tried a few different emerger patterns. Again, nothing. It was coming up on 8:00 and I was getting mightily perturbed. Surely I can figure this out, I thought. Light was dwindling and so was the hatch. It was something to behold and I have to admit I spent way too much time beholding it.

I was all set to pack it in and gome home and lick my wounded pride when I decided to give it that famous "one last cast". I tied on a size 18 parachute adams, picked a feeding lane fairly close by where I had seen some strong activity and gave it that one last cast. Next thing I know that poor little 18 para adams is being greedily sucked into a nice little brown.

He wasn't a monster by any measure but he certainly put a bend in my new 3 wt.! Gave me a couple good runs and even one valiant leap before I got him to hand (he also messed up my leader pretty good with all of his rolling while I was trying to get him to smile for his portrait;) ) Working him alone in failing light, I got about two shots of him without the auto flash blooming everything. Sorry it's a bit fuzzy here, but he wasn't yesterday.


First attempt with posting a pic... hope it works


Green Weenie
03-14-2007, 08:08 AM
I stopped by the shop yesterday morning before heading out. If not for this fishing fever, I could have stayed there all day. I think I got a chance to speak to everyone; Byron, Paula, Annette. What a great group of people. They have a way of making you feel like you've known them for years.

Anyway, on to the fishing report.
I found a nice sunny stretch on the Middle Prong around power box 14. I watched the water for awhile before wetting my line. The surface was absolutely thick with bugs for the first few hours. I'm not really sure what they were, but they were a brownish, cinnamon color. I'm going to guess they were Quill Gordon.
So, like I said; the water was thick with bugs, but no rising fish. I tried a few dries with a soft hackle dropper......nothing. Then Byron's voice from this morning echoed in my ear, "I wouldn't be afraid to throw a Green Weenie....." I said what the heck and on my second drift, hooked up with my first fish of the day. This fish was apparently a fluke, for the Middle Prong would not give up another fish to me.
I moved on to Laurel Creek and by the time I made it into the water I was sweating. It was hot! And I'm not just talkin' about the weather! I hit the stream at about 1:00 and had to leave at 2:00 due to a dentist appointment (yeah, I know). In that time I caught 8 fish, all on the Green Weenie! I took a few pics, but I'm at work and the camera is at home. I'll try to post them later on this evening. Good times!

03-14-2007, 09:29 AM
That's pretty neat to get them on a green weenie this time of year, i guess you never know. I sure wish i was close enough to a trout stream to get out during the week but oh well. Glad to see that y'all both got out and had a good day. I'm interested to see how some people do today since it was warm last night.


03-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Well he was a beut! Third cast catch!

03-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Gerry, any fish is a great fish when you're having a time figuring them out. That's a nice little brownie! I hope I can get up there soon to be as frustrated as you got to be.

well, ok....i'd rather not be - but hey, at least i'd be fishin' the park!

Fisher - nice rainbow - looks like a leopard! :) :)

03-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Wow that's a beautiful fish! I would love to catch a fish like that, needless to say most of mine stay under the 7" threshold. Heck of a way to start the day off, too!