PDA

View Full Version : Wet Wading?

Kentucky Kid
03-14-2007, 06:07 PM
I'm going to be fishing in the park for a few days in early April and I was wondering if it would be okay to wet wade during this time or if I should wear my waders. Also I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where would be a good stream to try for brook trout at this time.

Thanks,

Gerry Romer
03-14-2007, 06:29 PM
March and April can be pretty changeable, but a hearty soul should be able to wet wade without too much discomfort. Follow Byron's Fishing Report and monitor the water temp at "the Y". Once the temp stays above that magical 50 degree mark for about ten days you should be okay. I was wading the East Prong Monday evening and that water was still a bit too chilly for my old bones to go wet wading. But it's close!

Easy access (I should say relatively easy) brook streams are all up top alongside hwy 441. Hwy 441 parallels the West Prong of the Litttle Pigeon River. At the trailhead for the Chimneys you can get easy access to the Road Prong and go huntin' brookies. Drive up a bit further and you can work Walker Camp Prong.

If you're looking to enjoy more of the park and less of the tourists, stick with the Townsend side. Lynn Camp Prong above Tremont Institute is a beautiful hike taking you pretty far up into brookie territory. Also look at Elkmont Trail way above the campgrounds. Less driving, more hiking, more park.

Gerry

Hugh Hartsell
03-14-2007, 06:33 PM
KK, I would advise you to bring the waders if the time that you will be here is early April. It's certainly too cold right now, and with all the Little Winters that we will experience, you may very likely find your self in the Park with temps down to freezing for a day or two. You should hold off on the wet wading until the second week of May. After that, it should not be a problem.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

Petey
03-14-2007, 07:24 PM
I was up at Abrams a few years ago in the middle of April. A friend of mine was camped at Cades Cove during the middle of the week, so I took the day off to go join him.

When I arrived at 8:00 in the AM, the temperature is in the high 30's and there was a dusting of snow on the ground from the night before. The prior forcast had been for a low of 40's and a high in the upper 60 just a couple of days before. It never got much above 50 the entire day.

So I would pack them just in case and may even bring the polar fleece, just because you never know what mother nature may throw your way.

Petey :)

fishlicker
03-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Usually, I'd say not to listen to Petey, but he's right this ONE TIME. :) Don't pack what you think you need, pack what you wouldn't want to be without if you did need it. Eerrrr, sumthin' like that.

* waves and smiles at Mr. Petey. :)

Paula Begley
03-14-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm throwing my hat in there with Hugh, Petey and fishlicker. While I am just a girl, :) it can get really cold in April. Being cold natured (I freeze all year at the shop) I don't feel comfortable wet wading until late May or early June.

This place, in the early spring, is much like Montana in July...you may not think you need fleece, but buddy...you better have it. Better safe, than sorry, Kentucky Kid, bring the waders.

Paula

buzzmcmanus
03-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read on here where PA was wet wading in January this year. If young college students can wet wade in January, anybody ought to be able to by April. I'll still be in my waders, my wife I think I look good in them.

kytroutman
03-15-2007, 09:31 AM
I have also been fishing in the Smokies in late April where the temperature plunged 20 degrees in a matter of hours. The weather can be very unpredictable in the Smokies, 65 degrees in January and 25 degrees in May. You can't always tell why type of fronts will come in over a 24 hour period so its best to pack for all types. The old rule of thumb used to be the weather did not stabilize until Memorial Day weekend.