PDA

View Full Version : LR Report, 3/15/2007

David Knapp
03-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Had a good one today! I drove up to the Smokies arriving at Townsend around 10:00. After stopping by LRO to pick up some floatant, I drove over to Middle Prong. I got a couple of strikes but it seemed kinda off to me so I went over to LR hoping to do better. This proved to be the ticket and I started catching fish. There were lots of fish rising throughout the river today but I stuck with nymphs as they were producing. Most of the day I fished a big stonefly nymph with a Tellico dropped behind it. All but one fish today came on the Tellico... Big fish of the day was a gorgeous 16 inch brown that took the Tellico and charged downstream aways. It was heading for a rock sticking out in the stream and so I pressured it hard. Thankfully the 5X tippet held and I finally landed it. I got pictures but my camera died on me...(long story, still in shock....:mad:). I've just about decided that it is impossible for me to catch and photo good browns on LR. Actually taking the pictures caused all sorts of bad luck for my hapless camera, may it rest in peace...:rolleyes:

Anyway, the average size of fish today was very good with most of the rainbows being 9-12 inches. Fishing was best lower on Little River... Good numbers of black and brown stoneflies hatched all day but the big mayflies never really got going very strong. Saw a few but not many. The BWOs on the other hand were hatching in good numbers with the fish rising to them...

By the way, I'm taking camera recommendations if anyone has any they like... Hopefully I'll be able to get the money for another soon. Anyone have any experience with waterproof cameras and if so, what brand/model are they and how much $$$?

Update: The nice brown...

http://photo.ringo.com/198/198540630O906393280.jpg

ttas67
03-16-2007, 12:15 AM
good to hear the fish are actively rising! hopefully it will hold over into this weekend, because I'm planning on doing some catching. not fishing, but catching. that's too bad about your camera! I don't know very much about cameras, but I believe that canon (or maybe it was a third party) sells custom waterproof shells that fit over all their models. the shell is custom molded to each specific model, removeable, and I think they cost about $100 or something. could be a little pricey, but with your level of photography skills it may be a good investment. maybe you could find some way of writing it off as an expense for "the trout zone".

ttas67
03-16-2007, 12:27 AM
now I've been looking at them. pretty expensive. this one runs $129 just for the case

http://www.pictureline.com/images/large/CD7312_canonawdc30.jpg

Kevin_Thomas
03-16-2007, 12:50 AM
Congrats on the good day! I'm going saltwater fly fishing for the first time this Saturday. I've tied lots of Clouser Minnows and Copperheads for the trip to Panama City. Hopefully I will have some cool pics to post this weekend.

Kevin

Hugh Hartsell
03-16-2007, 05:18 AM
Good morning David, great report. Sorry about the camera dying on you. I had a similar experience last season and I purchased the new Pentax Optio W20 waterproof camera. It is a 7 megapixel camera with a memory card that has 2Gigabites of memory. That translates to hundreds of pictures. In a recent test comparison with the Olympus waterproof camera, it was voted the better of the two. I think that they both take great pictures and the price range is about $240.00 to $270.00. The kit that I purchased with my camera has a DVD disk with software for editing pictures from this camera that are pretty impressive. If you're thinking of a new digital SLR camera, Nikon has just released the new 10 megapixel D40. This camera has some great qualities for the price range and may be my next camera. I look forward to seeing the results of your new camera.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

Green Weenie
03-16-2007, 08:00 AM
Anyone who hasn't dunked their camera is not taking enough pictures!

I'm on my third.....in three years.

Cold, wet hands + wet, squirmy fish + holding rod btween legs + pricey camera = D'oh!

Griff
03-16-2007, 09:20 AM
I second the reccomendation for the Pentax Optio W20, it's the perfect camera for fly fishing. It also takes great close-ups for photographing flies, etc.

fishlicker
03-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Great report! Thanks!

I was headed over to the nantahala this weekend, but I might just have to get a tent put up at Elkmont and fish the LR and Laurel this weekend.

Green Weenie, you always make me laugh. :)

How much rain did you all get up that way and do you think it will help the fishing? I always hear talk about a "warm rain" - is that meaning the air temp is warmer than the water temp, I'm assuming....if so, then I'll probably be at Elkmont or Cades Cove and try to fish for some wild fish. rising fish are my thing. . . and I don't mean that I'm that good at catching risers...I mean that's the way I love to catch fish. I'd rather catch two fish a day on dry flies than 10 on nymphs.....not that I won't throw a nymph if there's nothing biting on top - i just love seeing that caddis bumping down the creek and WHAMMO! :)

OH, nevermind. I just saw the fishing report for today. :( WHAAAAAAAAAH.

This week might be a good week to go find a bass pond that needs some lovin' I guess. :(

Glad to hear you had a good day - sorry about the camera - just means you have to upgrade! :)

Sage
03-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Sorry about the camera.

Spent a couple hours Wednesday on the lower reaches of LR starting around 2:30. Not much activity on the surface, so I tied on a tellico and stuck a split shot a couple feet above it and headed for deeper runs. My decision was rewarded with a nice 12-13" brown. Had to be back home by 6 so couldn't stick around for long. I'm counting on some dependable surface productivity in another week or so. That'll be a welcome time of year.

mstone
03-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Yes to the Nikon SLR. Like Hugh said, the Nikon is a good choice, that is if you decide to go with the SLR. I own a D70s and the quality is top-notch. Keep in mind, these are pricey cameras to be wading around with. In a boat, or a canoe, I would feel okay. I'm actually looking for a smaller,less technical pocket camera that I don't have to worry about as much.

mstone

David Knapp
03-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Thanks to all for the recommendations. I'm going to look into the pentax optio w20 or w30 I believe. I want a DSLR but need something small that can be carried onstream without too much fear of breaking it... About the pentax cameras, has anyone used theirs for actually shooting underwater shots of fish?

doghaircaddis
03-17-2007, 11:20 AM
sorry about the camera, and i hope you find something soon. the photos you take are always excellent.

Hugh Hartsell
03-17-2007, 11:34 AM
David, I've tried once or twice, but not with good results. This was no fault of the camera ,but my lack of familiarity with using it. I think that a person needs to try to use the camera in the underwater mode at home, in the sink or tub, to become familiar with changing the Underwater Shooting Mode and for aiming it at an object or fish. It's not the easiest thing to do when you first get the camera and you would probably get better at it real quickly. Mtnman and Swipper have more experience with theirs than I have, and could probably give more info about certain aspects of the use of the camera. I imagine they're on the South Holston right now and you'll probably see some pictures tonight taken with the W20.
Hugh

David Knapp
03-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Well, my camera still won't be taking any more pictures but I did manage to access the memory and get the pictures off from last Thursday. It is completely amazing to me that I was actually able to get to these pictures, and I think that my prayer helped that out... Here is the nice brown I caught...I'll have a few other pics up on my blog pretty soon... Hopefully I'll have a new camera fairly soon so I can keep posting pictures on occasion... Thanks again to all for the recommendations!!!

http://photo.ringo.com/198/198540630O906393280.jpg

doghaircaddis
03-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Thats a nice one PA! Glad you were able to recover the photo.

FFM4LIFE
03-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Plateau Angler,
Nice brownie!!..what did catch him on.

David Knapp
03-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Tellico nymph...this was the hot fly for the day...