PDA

View Full Version : cades cove

dropper
03-16-2007, 10:56 PM
going to cades cove in april. where do you park to fish.

ttas67
03-17-2007, 02:31 AM
in the parking lot. ok, I'm joking. get on the loop, go almost exactly half way. this will take you at least 45 min to an hour or longer if anyone in front of you happens to see a deer or a chipmunk. that I am not joking about. you will then drive across a wooden bridge. shortly after you will see a turnoff (gravel road) with a sign that says "abrams falls trailhead" or something like that. don't miss it because the loop is one way and it may take you well over an hour to circle back around to it. turn there, go down that gravel road about 100 yards (watch out for the MASSIVE potholes) and it will end in a big parking lot. there will be 20-30 cars there. get out, suit up and follow the crowds to the stream.

Kytroutbum
03-17-2007, 09:28 AM
A warning the rocks on the bottom of Abram's are coated with fine silt and algae. They are EXTREMELY slippery, FELTS a wading staff and extreme care are required. Then you still may "git baptized" (:>). Be sure not to fish this alone if you go down any ways from the trail head. The "shoes" down stream take you away from any access to the trail and POSSIBLE HELP. They require a lot of time to fish through. I believe people underestimate the time requirements and spend the night on the stream every year. I used to fish it reqularly and still have had to walk out by flashlight.

Fishing this stream requires caution and being informed about its nature. I would suggest reading previous postings on this site as a wealth of info has been written. It is a great stream but due to its nature, location in the park, etc requires a partner and a lot of caution. You'll enjoy it though!!
Tight lines
Kytroutbum

sammcdonald
03-17-2007, 06:35 PM
you can park at the abrams falls trailhead and work your way back up to the right, upstream, thru the springs section back to the wooden bridge you crossed earlier.

stuart
03-18-2007, 12:17 PM
How long is that section back up to the bridge. I have always wanted to fishthe abrams but haven't yet. Maybe soon though.

STU

stuart
03-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Ok one more question. I have heard about the abrams creek falls. How far are they from the trailhead. Looks by a topo map to be way to far the fish to in a day. SO is there another way in? Seems like I remember someone mentioning another way in one time.

STU

doghaircaddis
03-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Ok one more question. I have heard about the abrams creek falls. How far are they from the trailhead. Looks by a topo map to be way to far the fish to in a day. SO is there another way in? Seems like I remember someone mentioning another way in one time.

STU

The falls is around 2.5 miles from the parking lot. You can't fish the entire way in just a day...or two, or three... but if you follow the trail there are several fishable sections just off the path.

Flyfishjeep
03-18-2007, 12:52 PM
At the trail head you will see a sign telling you the distance to the falls. If I remeber correctly it is about 2+ miles. It is a nice hike and not too dificult. You will see a lot of nice spots to drop in along the way. Make sure you give yourself enough time to fish and get out before dark. The sun sets quick when your all the way back by the falls. Also beware of the families with little kids throwing rocks.
Happy Fishing.

sammcdonald
03-18-2007, 06:59 PM
How long is that section back up to the bridge. I have always wanted to fishthe abrams but haven't yet. Maybe soon though.

STU

that piece of water is only about 1/2-3/4 mile in duration. it has lots of downed trees and cover in the water. you need to keep your eyes open in late spring for bears in this area.

stuart
03-18-2007, 07:10 PM
Thanks guys, I would love to get down there I hear it is a fun creek. I hear ya about the bears! Bears could make you soil a good pair of waders in a hurry. I haven't ever seen one on the stream but that would be an experience.

STU

Troutman
03-18-2007, 08:30 PM
I fished from the confluence with Mill Creek back upstream to the wooden bridge last Saturday and caught only a few fish. The water was very low and made for tough casting without spooking fish.
Does anybody know what the high fenced off area off to the left of the stream is? I was thinking maybe that was where they kept the red wolves at several years ago. Did not see any Bears, good to know though!

Kytroutbum
03-18-2007, 09:44 PM
Some of the bottom areas are fenced off because they are examples of certain extremely wetland environments that are extremely rare, the fencing is an attempt to keep the "hogs" out of them.

dropper
03-19-2007, 12:39 AM
since my wife is going to be with me maybe cades cove will be better for sightseeing than fishing.anyone have any other suggestions.from what i have been reading maybe greenbrier may be a good idea.

ijsouth
03-19-2007, 01:16 AM
Greenbrier is nice...the upper reaches are quite rocky, however - a real boulder field. Tremont (Middle Prong of Little River), and it's tributary Lynn Camp Prong are nice, and the walk isn't bad at all.

S Brown
03-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Just a note...I read about the "shoe" and how you can and will get lost if you leave the stream trying to find the trail if you get caught after dusk. I KNEW that info and STILL left the stream after failing to allow enough time to get back in daylight. It was, and remains, the most traumatic experience in have had more than 30 years of fishing (Im 38) I knew the sun was going down but could not force myself to walk by the wonderful runs that held the little jewels that we have an addiction to.
I walked up stream until it was almost dark...and realized I had to find the trail..and I did what you are told not to...The trail HAD to be right there...Well..it wasnt. After about 3 hours of scrambling in pitch black darkness,almost falling off a cliff, in think as jumgle underbrush..I found the stream again. I then walked in the stream...again, in pitch darkness, until by the grace of God, my camping and fishing buddies happened upon me with a search party. I cannot belive I was not bitten as I had to grope with my hands from rock to rock to keep my balance.
It may sound silly, but it isn't...Allow yourself AMPLE time to get back IN DAYLIGHT...Do NOT do this alone ,and if you are caught after dark..DO NOT DO NOT leave the stream...you will eventually make it back but it is a very slow go...especially by moonlight. In parting...I do have to say...It was worth every seceond...what an awesome piece of water!!!!