PDA

View Full Version : The clinch

ttas67
03-17-2007, 11:57 PM
I haven't heard anything about the clinch in a while. anyone fished it recently? care to post a report? I gotta get some type of quick fix tomorrow, and the mountains aren't looking so hot right now. Is this some sort of joke? all week I sat in the office with visions of mayflies dancing in my head. the weekend comes, the streams blow out and the temperature backslides. now I hear its going to be beautiful again come monday. hey gerry, this must be what a stooksbury winter is.

doghaircaddis
03-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Trevor,

I don't know how things have been over on the Clinch, but the Caney has been pretty good to me lately. You should add it to your list of options....generation looks pretty good for tomorrow.

ttas67
03-18-2007, 12:21 AM
yeah, I've been meaning to get around to fishing the caney. we need to hit it up sometime. I was just thinking about making a quick trip to the clinch tomorrow, but I haven't really heard how the fishing has been. my other thought was to just go scout out a few streams in the park that I'm not as familiar with. I've been fishing the park heavily for 3 years now, but there are still entire sections that I've never even been to, particularly the more north eastern sections. are you going to fish the caney tomorrow?

doghaircaddis
03-18-2007, 12:52 AM
Nah I can't go tomorrow. Wish I could, but I have some things I need to do around the house (painting). When you decide to come up, though, let me know.

Taking a drive to the park sounds nice. I miss being so close to the park. Haven't even been back to Knoxville since I came here in mid December.

BTW...the local Trout Unlimited paper says the fishing on the Clinch is "still slow and not worth the drive".

Gerry Romer
03-18-2007, 12:59 AM
I just want to know who the **** Stooksbury is. If they're listed in order, then Stooksbury Winter shouldn't come around until about late May/ early June.
This is even too early for Dogwood winter.

Got me...

Gerry

ttas67
03-18-2007, 01:56 AM
well, the first day of spring isn't until march 21st. so this is still just regular winter.

FFM4LIFE
03-18-2007, 07:54 AM
I fished the clinch last saturday. There were Sulfers all over the place, but no rising fish at all. My dad hung one on a zebra midge but other than that didnt catch a thing....

Flat Fly n
03-18-2007, 08:17 AM
FFM4LIFE,
Sulphurs, Mayflies, Ephemerella in March? I have been fishing a steady diet of it above and below the weir lately and catching a bunch of fish, but the only thing rising there is midges, and lots of midges. Of course, it's a little to cold to get mayflies coming off until you get around Miller's Island at least what I have noticed over the years.

Usually I don't hear of sulfurs until end of march, first of April and then through June on the Clinch.

Flat Fly'n

FFM4LIFE
03-18-2007, 01:30 PM
Im not really familiar with the bug activity,cause i am new to fly fishing. They may have not been sulfers but they sure did look like it. The were about size 12 and yellow,there back end kind of looked like foam and front end had some yellow hackle.

Flat Fly n
03-18-2007, 03:16 PM
FFM
Close enough description for some kind of mayfly, and good for you and all of us if they are starting to come off now. The sulphurs have been a little lacking over the past few years i think. BTW, most description say the wings are "dun" colored, or a really light gray color, but there are always variants.

I am heading out to the Clinch for the evening rise of midges. If you see some older guy there about 6'6" come on over and introduce yourself. I am always happy to help addict new folks to the river.

Tight lines,

PS......Since there was a post by your dad earlier on life lessons .......Remember the cast is all about physics......math....momentum and the likes. Study hard, fish even harder!

FFM4LIFE
03-18-2007, 03:21 PM
I am hopfully goin to get out on the clinch some time over spring break since i am out of school. If u see some one in a camo hat neoprene waders and about 15 yrs old come introduce yourself also.

FFM4LIFE

RFowler
03-18-2007, 03:42 PM
Could very well be sulfurs but there's a good chance it may be American Sycamore seeds as well. The seeds look very much like a sulfur adult.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/878937/wploc--frmature10463.JPG

http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/species/ploc.htm

ttas67
03-18-2007, 08:51 PM
right on rfowler. as soon as he said "hackle" that's what I thought of. I believe that's what he saw. those things have been fooling me for the past 2 weeks in the park. they look and float EXACTLY like a yellow mayfly. they look just like something you'd tie up with a yelow body and yellow hackle at the front. sulfurs I believe have dark grey wings.

Scott
03-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Fishing on the Clinch is currently slow. My last 2 outings were on Sunday, the 11th, and Thursday the 15th. Sunday I managed 5 tiddlers on beadhead, stripped, peacock-quill bodied midges... size-20. This was up at the Massengill bridge hole.

Thursday, one tiddler on the same midge, then an 11-inch rainbow on a modified pheasant tail nymph, size-16 scud/caddis hook. This was near Clinton, downstream of Lewellyn Island. This nymph is a good imitation of a sulphur and a BWO.

I have seen no mayfly activity on the river. Have seen one or two adult caddis flittering around in the trees, but nothing on the water. There have been very rare occurences of dimpling or smutting rises for midge emergers. However, that kind of activity was good about 2 weeks ago at the weir pool (above the weir dam) in the late evening.

Things should start to improve soon. For an alternative to the mountains and the Clinch, try the Holston river below Cherokee dam. The generation schedule is good now. You can access this area from Nance's Ferry Road. The turn-off is in Blaine off Rutledge Pike. When one generator pulses every 5 hours, you do not need to leave the river this far downstream (unlike the Clinch). You'll notice an increase in water speed, but the water only comes up about 1/2 inch.

The trout tend to be less picky than those on the Clinch. They will take numerous nymph types, soft hackles, and caddis patterns. This river is loaded with caddis... various green and tan bodied species.

Check a Delorme topo map to find the road to the river. Good luck and good fishing.

Flat Fly n
03-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Cold evening on the Clinch above the weir. Low, slow,and no wind made for a tough evening. 7 fish to hand, all 10-13", one brown and the rest bows. I was really surprised, there have been some huge hatches and lots of rises, but very slow, maybe the changing weather. I saw maybe 3 fishermen above the weir to the cable pool. Maybe they were all watching the NCAAs.

Oh well, next weekend.

How about those Vols catching and GAFFING those Wahoos!!!!????
Flat Fly'n

RFowler
03-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Trevor,
I've seen sulfurs (all over) with anything from almost solid white, yellow, to dark gray wings. Many varieties. Great site for identification... http://www.troutnut.com/

Those little seeds can be very deceiving can't they? :)

Rockyraccoon
03-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Great point Rusty.

The seeds or flase sulphurs as I call them, have always marked the start of spring for me....and it's a good bet that the actual sulphur hatches will begin within a month or so of seeing the false sulphurs.

I wonder how many of those seeds get sipped down or if the fish wait on the real mccoy before moving onto yellow bugs.