PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Mountain Fly Swap - Due 4/20/07

Griff
03-19-2007, 09:42 AM
It looks like we have enough interest to have a fly swap. The theme for this swap will be any Smoky Mtn. pattern. We have 8 participants and I think everyone is OK with tying 2 flies per person, so that's 16 flies each. I have pulled the list of tiers and patterns from the other thread. Please check it to make sure I have not missed anyone and that I have the corrrect pattern listed for you. My girlfriend is participating too. The due date for having your flies sent to me will be April 30th(revised date). If everyone gets them in early, I will be able to send them out early. If you have any questions about how this works just ask. Also check out the link that I posted on the other thread. Let's get started!

Here are a few ground rules to help keep everything smooth:

1. Please don't procrastinate, everyone is counting on you to make this a successful swap.

2. Each fly will need to have a toetag, this is just a small piece of paper with your LRO username on it.

3. When you are finished with your flies, post on here or PM me and I will PM you my address.

4. Send your flies in a crushproof container with a return self-addressed envelope with return postage. The little plastic boxes you get when you buy flies from LRO work well. What ever box you send your flies in will be returned to you.

5. Communication is very important! Don't hesitate to ask questions.

1.Griff - High-Vis Foam Beetle - Done
2.TroutDude - Yellow Palmer - Received
3.Trouttater - Smoky Mtn. Candy - Received
4.rainshaker - Rubber legged red-copper john - Received
5.Midgeman - Tellico Nymph - At the mercy of the USPS
6.buckeyetrouter - Quill gordon - Received
7.Troutman - George nymph - Received
8.Teresa - Sparkle Dun - Half Received

buckeyetrouter
03-19-2007, 05:31 PM
waaaaahooooo.....off and running, ironic - I just received my order from LRO in the mail with my lt. ginger half neck and white calf hair......gotta get busy.....

buckeyetrouter

TroutDude
03-19-2007, 09:01 PM
If its ok I'm going to change the fly I'm going to tie. When I sat down and started to tie a Hazel Creek I realized I'm out of golden pheasant tippet. So, I'm going to tie a yellow palmer instead. Hopefully I'll get them in the mail this week, as I'm planning on coming down to the park this weekend. By the way, I was looking in a fly tying book I have... does anyone know a pattern called "Picket Fence"?

Dude

Midgeman
03-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Alright, please put me down for a Tellico Nymph. Looking forward to this one.

Troutman
03-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Griff; OK , I've finished tying my 16 flies. 8 #12, and 8 # 14 George Nymphs. I just need to put them together with a toe tag and send them to you.
Send me a PM with your address and I'll try to get them in the mail this weekend. Do I need to include 8 recipe cards also?

Griff
03-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Addy sent. Don't worry about sending 8 recipe cards. You can either post it on here or people can conact you when they receive them for more information. That is part of the reason for the toe tags.

TroutDude
03-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Hey Griff, I've finished my flies for the swap. I just need to know where to send them. Thanks for being the contact!

Dude

Griff
03-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Addy sent TroutDude, looking forward to seeing them.

I received Troutman's George's Nymphs today. Very nice flies Troutman!

Troutman
03-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Griff, Glad to hear our postal service did it's job. I spent 4 hours over 2 days and tied about 2 dozen of those. (Kind of a slow tier) I restocked my flybox with the extra ones. I think they are easier to tie than a prince nymph and work equally well if not better. The local trout have seen alot of princes over the last few years so some of the older patterns will get there attention when others won't. I hope I put enough return postage. Looking forward to getting everyone elses flies.

Griff
04-02-2007, 02:35 PM
I received Rainshaker's Rubber-legged Copper Johns and Troutdude's Yellow Palmers. Great looking flies guys. This is going to be a killer set of flies!

Stonefly
04-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Are the rest of us going to be able to see some photos perhaps?

sb

Griff
04-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Are the rest of us going to be able to see some photos perhaps?

sb

Nope, it's all a secret....

When I get all the sets in I will take some pictures and post them on here. The sets I have received so far look great!

rainshaker
04-03-2007, 03:11 PM
I received Rainshaker's Rubber-legged Copper Johns and Troutdude's Yellow Palmers. Great looking flies guys. This is going to be a killer set of flies!

Thanks for posting Griff...

FYI ---I left the rubber legs on the Copper Johns a little long, that's just my preference, I figure the more movement, the better, but feel free to trim those as you guys see fit.

Can't wait to get these patterns on the water !!!

buckeyetrouter
04-03-2007, 04:43 PM
been out of state till this week, am hoping to start tying this weekend and get my quill gordons in soon......using Mr Hatzel's recipe from the Smokey Mountain Trout flies web site.......

buckeyetrouter
disappointed but still proud of my Buckeyes....

Trouttater
04-03-2007, 10:16 PM
I will finish the SMCandies this week. Griff, pm me your address and I will get them to you. Out of curosity, what did TBD end up being?

Thanks,

Brad

Griff
04-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Addy sent Brad.

My TBD is still being determined;)

Trouttater
04-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Griff,

There is a box of candies headed your way. I tried to get creative and put them in one of my daughter's Easter Eggs, but it was a little bulky for the envelope. Let me know when you get them.

Brad

buckeyetrouter
04-05-2007, 06:08 PM
hey Griff.......gonna finish up this weekend (barring any emergencies at work)...go ahead and pm your addy so I can send them......

started stripping the peacock hearl with an eraser and it was much easier...

buckeyetrouter

Trouttater
04-05-2007, 09:09 PM
The eraser trick works well. Another time saving tip is to tie the wings up first and do a set of 12-20 wings, then go back and do tails bodies and hackles. It seems to go a little faster that way. I use a couple half hitches between steps to secure the thread.

Griff
04-06-2007, 10:43 AM
I'll keep an eye out for your SM Candies Brad.

Addy sent Buckeye, looking forward to seeing them.

Griff
04-09-2007, 05:46 PM
I received Trouttater's Smoky Mountian Candies today. Another very nice set of flies!

buckeyetrouter
04-11-2007, 04:52 PM
hey Griff......throwing flies in mail tomorrow. I just finished and a bit disapointed in them. I had a really hard time with the hackle. I tried the whiting 100 pk and they were very hard to work with. They kept breaking before I could tie them off.......anyways, they are on the way and if anyone is unsatisfied I will gladley tie them up something else......

got to do any fishing yet? Weather in Ohio has been CRAPPPPPY with a capital "SH",so I haven't had any chance. The ODNR did release 4000 rainbow into one of our spring fed local lakes last week....hope to get a shot at them this coming week.

buckeyetrouter

Griff
04-12-2007, 03:49 PM
I'll keep an eye out for them Buckeye. I'm sure they are fine. I need to get mine done soon! All of you have done a really good job getting your flies tied early. I've gotten slammed at work again so I have not tied in a while. I might get a chance this weekend.

The only chance I had to go fishing was a few weeks ago. I hooked into a 20+ rainbow on the West Prong of Little River. Talking to Daniel at LRO we've concluded it was one of the big stocker fish that swam up into the park. It gave my 3 wt a good workout and pumped enough adrenaline into my system to revive a dead man!!!

Griff
04-17-2007, 10:35 AM
I received Buckeye's Quill Gordon's today. Very nice flies Buckeye!

I am afraid I may have to extend the due date a little. I still have not had time to get mine done, Teresa has been sick so she is not done either and we are waiting on a set from Midgeman. If it is OK with everyone, I would like to extend the due date till April 30th. 14 hour work days make sitting at a vise almost impossible.

Yall let me know if the extension is OK with you.

rainshaker
04-17-2007, 01:25 PM
No problem Griff...

Just as long as they're in my mailbox before June 1st. I'd hate to head towards the Smokies without the ultimate smoky mountain collection :)

Troutman
04-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Same here Griff , no problem. Haven't read anything from Midgeman in awhile. Hope he is still participating. I've been tying alot of streamers and bass patterns lately, My trout flyboxes are still pretty well stocked.

TroutDude
04-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Not a problem on my end. I feel for you. I'm heading into my busiest time of the year at work. Good Luck!
Dude

buckeyetrouter
04-17-2007, 08:00 PM
not a problem with me Wess, ya gotta take care of business so business can take care of your addictions (ff'ing of course).......pass our prayers on to Teresa and hope she gets to feeling better. BTW, how are the little gals doing? Have they got to enjoy thier new fishing rods yet?

I forgot to put the tags on the flies, I will mail you some this week if you would tag them for me I would appriciate it very much....

buckeyetrouter

Trouttater
04-17-2007, 10:19 PM
No problem here.

Midgeman
04-18-2007, 09:48 AM
I am still here folks. Just posted my woes in the wrong thread. Things at work have been super crazy over the last month and I am running behind. If you all don't mind, I can get my flies in the mail either tomorrow or on Friday. Sorry about the delay. If you all want to go ahead without me because of the delay I understand; but I would like to participate. Normally I try and get these things done well in advance, but this time I dropped the ball. Can you PM me and address to send the flies? Thanks.

Griff
04-18-2007, 12:02 PM
No problem Midgeman, I extended the deadline to the 30th because life caught up with me too. I'll PM you my address.

Griff
04-19-2007, 09:35 AM
BTW, how are the little gals doing? Have they got to enjoy thier new fishing rods yet?

I forgot to put the tags on the flies, I will mail you some this week if you would tag them for me I would appriciate it very much....

buckeyetrouter

We haven't had a chance to use the new rods yet, but I am hoping the weather this weekend cooperates and we will be able to.

Don't worry about sending me toe tags, I'll take care of it.

Griff
05-01-2007, 08:50 AM
We are waiting on one set of flies and I will then be sending out the sets. The USPS has decided to take their time with Midgeman's set but I am sure it will turn up soon. All of the flies that have been sent in are fantastic! I will try to get some pictures up in the next couple of days. I ended up tying a High-Vis Foam Beetle, a great summer terrestrial pattern. I hope yall like it. Stay tuned for more updates later.

Griff
05-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Apparently my mailman is a flyfisherman and has decided that Midgeman's flies would look nice in his fly box...they are still MIA. We'll give it a few more days if that is OK with everyone. If they haven't shown up by Monday, I'll go ahead and send out the sets and send Midgeman's to everyone once they arrive. How does that sound to yall?

TroutDude
05-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Fine with me. I'm in no hurry.

rainshaker
05-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Ship those puppies !!!!!

Troutman
05-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Griff, Did you mail out the flies on Monday? I looked for them today. Hopefully the mail guy didn't confiscate them for himself.

Griff
05-10-2007, 08:58 AM
Sorry, no I have not mailed them out yet. I've had some personal issues come up. I will get them out in the next day or so. Again, I am sorry that I have held this up. On another note, Teresa had not finished her set like I had thought, you will all be getting one of her pattern in the swap. So this means that you will all be getting 3 of your own back instead of 2. Midgeman's set has not shown up yet either. Midgeman will get a set of flies and as soon as his flies show up I'll mail them out seperately.