PDA

View Full Version : Fishing question

muleskinner
03-20-2007, 07:47 AM
Howdy. Listen me my wife and two daughters are driving up to your neck of the woods for our summer vacation in May. I tell you if I had to live anywhere else besides laurel Mississippi it would be up there somewhere around Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge area. It would have to be in a rural area though. You all are very lucky to live there. Anyhow I want to take in a little fishing while I am there we all do. Them girls of mine love to fish as well as me. Cand or should I say will any of you tell me a good place to go fishing for trout that is not completely full of tourist? I know that I will be one myself I would just enjoy the fishing more so if we could get off away from the crowded areas. Without living up there it is impossible to know where that may be at. We do not mind walking actually were wanting to do some hiking. I am sure weill do at least 1 or 2 days at Dollywood but the rest of the time I would so much like to spend it in seclusion. Where I live in Ms. my nearest neighbor is 3 miles and that is my fater in law that lives that close. I like people but just really enjoy peacefullness a lot. I just enjoy taking in all the beauty of them mountains and spending some quality time fishing with my family. One more thing my wife and kids does not know how to fly fish and I am no pro at it myself. We will fish with jig poles are what ever other source of fishing you all use. Can any of you recomend what fishing set up we should use for the best luck? I appreciate any and all help that you have to offer. I sure am looking forward to getting there. You all have a good day maybe I will see you on the creek.

Dion Byrd
laurel Ms.

choctaw
03-20-2007, 12:14 PM
My suggestion would be that you consider driving up the road past Tremont Institute all the way to the end of the gravel road and then walking over the foot bridge. Just start looking there and stop where you want. Usually there are very few folks fishing up there as compared to 'off-the-asphalt' places along the busier roads. If you want to hike 'up and in' for less fished spots just keep walking up. However, it is a good idea to look at a map to make sure you know where you are going and are not into one of the few restricted brook trout streams. Additionally, anywhere before and afte the institute along the road is not bad at all, either. It's just that they've spit out more flies than the ones higher up. But they gotta eat, too.

And you are right about living up here. It's simply wonderful. Katrina ran us from Dauphin Island. One too many hurricanes.

Good luck and be safe!

Choctaw

Gerry Romer
03-20-2007, 01:14 PM
I learned to ski in Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. A few years later I was taught to ski in Colorado. I was given a full day lesson with a "seasoned" Rocky Mountain Pro. What a difference. I learned more in the first half of that day than I had in the whole three years I'd been skiing in Wisconsin. Ever since then, my advice to anyone launching into a new endeavor is take the lessons!

You've got plenty of time now to plan a lesson trip to LRO. You can check it out on this website. It's something the whole family can and should do together. If you want to just hike these mountains and don't care about the fishing experience, then c'mon ahead and don't bother with the lessons. But if you want a real Smoky Mountain fishing experience to add to your Dollywood and Gatlinburg trip, then you should definitely add an LRO casting and on-stream class to your vacation plans.

See, here's the difference. All those folks at Dollywood and Gatlinburg are being paid to entertain you and make sure you have a good time. If you're going to attempt to fish these mountains on your own, then your experience is only going to be as good as the people you're paying... and since you're not paying yourself anything, your experience will likely not be all that good and you'll go home disappointed and wondering what all the fuss is about Smoky Mountain fishing.

Personally, I think the Smoky Mountain fishing part of your trip could be much more rewarding -- but only if you give it half a chance. Take the lessons!

Gerry ;)

muleskinner
03-20-2007, 01:24 PM
You know someone else has contacted me about a guided trip. I really do think that will be a great idea. Seeing how I live down South and not use to fishing for trout I simply do not know what i am doing once you get away from bream bass and catfish. So i do thank all of you for leading me in the correct direction. The money i will spend on the trip will probably be more appreciated.

Gerry Romer
03-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Most Definitely!

kytroutman
03-20-2007, 02:25 PM
I personally would recommend a guided trip for the first time in the Smokies, whether you are a fly fisherman or not. This makes the trip more enjoyable as you are not guessing where or when to fish. Mr. Hartsell, Tim Doyle and others are some of the best guides in East TN, let alone the Smokies. I was lucky enough to grow up with a dad who knew fly fishing and wanted to make sure we did too. For those who didn't, a guided trip is a start in the right direction.