PDA

View Full Version : metcalf bottoms

ttas67
03-21-2007, 12:43 AM
well I woke up this morning with an illness (trout fever) and decided to take a day off. I always feel a little guilty when I take a day off to fish. It was cloudy and supposed to rain. I thought about how I should have picked a later day this week, when it was supposed to be sunny. once I arrived in townsend I was promptly pulled over by an officer. he gave me a ticket: $90...ouch. I then proceeded at the proper speed of 45 mph to LRO. I was planning on buying a new vise today, but after that ticket I'm going to be $90 short. so I cast a few rods, talked to byron for a while, then headed out to metcalf bottoms. as I was suiting up it started to sprinkle. usually I hate the rain, but today for some reason I didn't care, it seemed the perfect backdrop for the calling in guilt and the ticket. within minutes the BWOs started hatching like crazy, and the trout were rising to the occasion. I pulled out a #14 BWO. as I was tying it on, something happened. I thought about me calling in, the ticket, the rain. I even thought about the crappy half working vise that I tied that fly on. I don't know why but I looked up, looked around and all that stuff didn't matter anymore. Its just me the stream and the trees. I smiled, laid out a beautiful cast and hooked into a 12" bow.

Kevin_Thomas
03-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Well... You could be stuck in Montgomery Alabama!... Just kidding. Glad you landed a nice fish. Did you get any pics?

Kevin

David Knapp
03-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Sounds like you had a good one despite ticket... I can't wait to get up there again and fish some DRIES!!!

flyinby
03-21-2007, 10:26 AM
67:

You need to make a movie out of that! It does seem, though, that whatever else befalls us, a trout stream and a dry fix it all!

ttas67
03-21-2007, 10:27 AM
no pics. my camera is broke. the fisihing is excellent though.

doghaircaddis
03-21-2007, 11:23 AM
Trevor,

Metro pulled me over on my way to work yesterday for going 80 in a 55. I didn't have my seatbelt on, no current proof of insurance, and i still haven't updated my address from when I moved here. So, if it helps...I'm $200 bones in the hole, was late for work, and I didn't even get to fish yesterday.

It kills me to think of all the gear I could've gotten with that money.

Paula Begley
03-21-2007, 12:53 PM
It kills me to think of all the gear I could've gotten with that money.

Seriously....jeez! Y'all slow down! :rolleyes:

Paula ;)

David Knapp
03-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Metro pulled me over on my way to work yesterday for going 80 in a 55. I didn't have my seatbelt on, no current proof of insurance, and i still haven't updated my address from when I moved here.

Wow, only $200? It could have been a LOT worse I'm guessing...

I learned (by observation and a couple close calls) long ago to be careful in Townsend. There's often a patrol car hidden somewhere along the main drag through town, running radar on people as they come flying through... Townsend is one place I will not speed at all...

mmorgan135
03-21-2007, 03:41 PM
Townsend reminds me of Charleston, TN which I have to drive through to get to the Hiwassee. The speed limit through there is 35 and they are extremely tough on enforcing it. There are usually about 2 police cars that sit on both ends of town and usually always have someone pulled over from out of town that dont know how strict the speed limit is enforced.

ttas67,
you coming to class any this week?

ttas67
03-21-2007, 06:00 PM
I'll be there friday I suppose. Are we learning anything?

mmorgan135
03-21-2007, 07:48 PM
Just learning about bond types. I hate it when you arent there because I always think to myself that he is probably fishing somewhere right now! Anyway I'll see you on Friday.

ttas67
03-21-2007, 08:42 PM
no, just sleeping, that's all. I'm not going to miss any more though. I think I'm getting close to the limit!

dropper
03-21-2007, 08:59 PM
try speeding through mcbee south carolina.
4 lane highway that goes down to a 2 lanes right through town and has only one stop light.the speed goes from 55 to 25 in about a hundred feet.you just about have to lock up the brakes to get your speed down.there is even a big sign as you enter town that says speed trap. they tell you they are trying to get ya.

Barbara
03-21-2007, 09:20 PM
Trevor,
Did you fish right at the picnic grounds, to the left or to the right where the road was closed? I fished the left side and caught fish Tuesday, altho no 12 inch rainbow, sad to say.

Went to Elkmont today and had a wonderful time. In the AM there was a hatch, when the sun shone, trout started moving. Then clouds came over, the hatch died down, so did the trout. Then the sun returns, same pattern. Very interesting to a "still trying to figure out trout" person like me.

Barbara

ttas67
03-22-2007, 12:38 AM
I actually just started right by the bridge and fished upstream. even though everybody and their brother fishes that spot, it consisently yeilds trout.

Scott
03-22-2007, 04:47 AM
Really!! Thank you Paula... that's the entire point. I've had people pass me doing 80 when doing 55, only to pull up next to them at the next red light. Did not get anywhere any faster did they... except to put themselves and myself in greater danger on the roadway. 2nd most dangerous place on the planet.

Slow down and enjoy life. You may live longer and see things in a different light.

Green Weenie
03-22-2007, 07:11 AM
Very interesting to a "still trying to figure out trout" person like me.

Barbara

Barbara,

I think we are all "still trying to figure out trout" people!

:D

Barbara
03-22-2007, 08:09 AM
Well, I have learned 2 things from Trevor. Don't pass up the water at the Bridge just b/c everyone fishes there, which I have done.

And two, when driving thru Townsend, obey the speed limit! I have not always done that.

Sorry about the ticket, Trevor. If only there were some way to take fishing expenses as a deduction on income tax returns!

kytroutman
03-22-2007, 08:20 AM
"try speeding through mcbee south carolina." While I would agree with McBee, I think Townsend is more like Cheraw, SC where the posted speed limit is 25 and you're pulled over and cited for going 26. There's no need challenging the tickets since the police has a 100% win record according to the local judges.

ttas67
03-22-2007, 09:36 AM
by the way, he caught me right where I think the limit changes. I saw him and the 45 mph sign at the same time. I was doing 60 in what I thought was a 55.