PDA

View Full Version : True Southern Brookie?

WNCFLY
03-22-2007, 07:50 AM
I have had this on my mind for a while now and would like to know if you guys have any info on the subject. Are there any reports or websites that show were the brookies are of the true southern Applachian strain. I know there was a report done here in NC showing were the pure strains were in the pigeon river and panthertown valleys area but I have not seen anything on the park yet. NC wildlife magazine has some kind of info on the subject coming out in the April issue but I am not sure what it will detail. I have caught tons of specs over the years and I figure most were the pure southern strain, but I always have that ? in the back of head. I have heard of southern-northern strains around here but how do you know?

kytroutman
03-22-2007, 08:24 AM
From what I have been told, the majority if not all brookies within the park boundaries are all from the Southern Appalachian strain. Trout Unlimited posted a wealth of information about restoring and protecting the genetic strains of the brook trout. You might be able to find more information on the TU initiative at www.brookie.org

marktronic
03-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Check out this podcast with Steven Moore, the head fishery biologist of the GSMNP. Brookies are discussed...

http://www.itinerantangler.com/podcasts/podcasts/

...then scroll down to November 4, 2006

russ
03-22-2007, 09:12 AM
I've been told that you can not tell the difference without genetic testing. That may be wrong.

Would you try not to catch one if you knew it was a yankee fish? (insert sarcastic smiley face here! cause i'm just being a smartalek!!!!)

WNCFLY
03-22-2007, 03:15 PM
No way russ. I still love cathing any trout. I think this is just a interesting piece of history. I have lived in Asheville my entire life so these little diamonds are very fascinating to me. I will take a "yankee" fish on the line any day but there just something really cool about catching a fish here that man has had no hand in at all.