PDA

View Full Version : Smallies by the Smokies

UTKFlyFisher
03-22-2007, 11:51 AM
I know spring is officially here and the urge to cast to rising trout is upon us....but I was wondering where I could get a tug from some smallies in the mornin before headin up for some trout in mid day?

Troutman
03-22-2007, 12:35 PM
I haven't fished for smallies this early in the year. I start about mid May when they are heading upstream to spawn. You could try the lower LR below Townsend or West Prong of Little Pigeon below G-burg. I don't think you will get any top water action but a large stonefly nymph or streamer may get their attention.

geerona
03-22-2007, 06:54 PM
UTKFlyFisher,

While I don't recall ever seeing crayfish, or crawdads as I prefer to call them, in the park I can't imagine they don't live in those streams. I can tell you from experience that they can be a deadly pattern for smallies here in Indiana. It does take some getting use to hearing that fly whizzing past your ear though. :eek: I prefer the ones with feathers tied in to imitate the pinchers.

Wishin' I wuz fishin', g <*))))><

sammcdonald
03-23-2007, 05:07 PM
smallies are common in the area of the abrams creek camp ground/ranger station. however, leave no valuables in the car...the "happy valley natives" think it is their private reserve.