PDA

View Full Version : 3/23/07 reports

UTKFlyFisher
03-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Lets here it...im sure some of yall got to hit the streams up today....I only caught 3 on the middle prong and all on parachute adams mid day from 12:45 to 3. Also I was wondering what the big hatch was today, Blue Quills or Quill Gordons??? I managed to catch a few but still had no idea..they were really big and grey lookin...I need to start learnin some bugs!

StayLow
03-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Camped at site 24 the night of the 22nd. Hiked and fished, mostly hiked, and caught about 10 total (and missed many more). The weather was perfect. I stuck with the basics...telico nypmph and a BWO. I was bumming for a while after I let the biggest fish I'd seen up that far off the hook, but caught another rainbow about the same size 20 minutes later. Even have a picture but not sure how to post it.
The more I fish the more it seems to be clear..the slower you move and the more willing you are to bend those kness (or more), the more fish you will catch. They are watching you.

choctaw
03-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Wife and I fished below Tremont Institute about two hours this p.m. She caught one on a Parachute Adams and I caught one on a bead headed nymph. Had four quick strikes on an Adams earlier, myself. All small. Had several fly hatches. Slow but fun, as usual. Upon leaving about 4:30 must have seen 8 or 10 'rods' in the river up to and including the Bottoms.

Choctaw

StayLow
03-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Well, can't get the picture to pop up here, but the link works. About 1.5 miles above Elkmont.

http://f7.yahoofs.com/users/jEG.cX5KnEUt/__sr_/a9c9.jpg?tkn=phE2GBGBdvKBp5kz&saveas=LittleTrout (http://www.vbulletin.com)

mtnman2888
03-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Wow that is one beautiful wild fish! Good job! I planning on getting out tomorrow over here in nc, although it won't be in the smokies, it will be in the pisgah national forest which isn't too far away. I'll post a report when we get back.

Craig

ijsouth
03-23-2007, 08:20 PM
Pretty fish...and in answer to the fly question - while I am no expert, from everything I've read, the fly in question sounds like Quill Gordons, which is to be expected.

doghaircaddis
03-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Got to the park last night and stayed over the hill. Woke up early and drove up to Noland Creek. Beautiful morning...water temp 52. Hiked about a half mile up the stream. Used a #16 black EHC with a small PT as a dropper. Fished upstream for a couple of hours and caught 2 small bows on the caddis. I decided to hike back downstream and followed the trail all the way to Fontana Lake. I wasn't too impressed with the lower portion of the stream. Looked like a tornado ripped through there. Lots of garbage too.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/swingbatta/tree.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/swingbatta/noland1.jpg

Left Noland to spend the rest of the day on my favorite little stream...but when I arrived, I found it taken...so I decided to come back over to the TN side. Along the way, I stopped and fished Collins Creek. Almost stepped on a small garter snake as I was entering the stream. I though Collins was very difficult to fish....lots of overhanging branches. Water level was pretty low and the fish were real skittish. Caught several small bows here on a #14 yellow stim. Would have been a much easier with a shorter rod.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/swingbatta/snake.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/swingbatta/collins.jpg

I thought my day was over until I drove past one of those "Quite Walkways". Decided to make one last stop and end my day on the West Prong. When I entered the stream at 3:45 my thermometer read 59 degrees. Lots of bug activity on this stream...small stoneflies and BWO's (or whatever they're called...the grayish ones). Had success using a #16 BWO ... switched to a para Adams when the sun dropped and did well on that also. Rocks were real slick...fell in a couple of times...felt great.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/swingbatta/bow11.jpg

Had a good time today. It's great to be back in the park. I drove along miles of stream and only saw a handful people fishing the entire day. Actually, I believe I saw more turkeys today than fisherman. Thats always nice. I suppose tomorrow will be a good day to fish those same areas...with the crowd that'll be on th LR. I'll post some photos lata when I get home.

UTKFlyFisher
03-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Im not getting that link to work.....well im not going to lie and say today was just an ok day...Im from west tennessee and have only lived up here for school for not even 2 years now, and only having caught my first fish ever in the smokys a year ago! And now trying to get to know this place alone is pretty tough and even though today only landing 3 fish, it was actually on top with some of my most succesful days. I need some sort of guidance out on those streams!

RNGIII
03-23-2007, 09:28 PM
My famiily and myself made it up to the mountains yesterday. We're all staying in a cabin and are trying to get some good fishing in this weekend. I maet Paula today at LRO and she got to meet my family. She handled them well by letting them have a little of their own. ;) (It was awesome to meet you Paula) With 7 aunts and uncles and 20 grandchildren we're a large family and quite the boisterous bunch.

We stayed on the Little River just above Metcalf bottoms all afternoon and only one of us caught a fish. I saw them all day long but I kept spooking them with my shadow or bad casts. My aunt caught her one fish on a Copper John. I personally threw the fly box at them and got nothing more than a couple of bites. I swear my reaction time sucks soo bad that it hinders my ability to catch fish.

The fish weren't really hitting the hatch's very hard. I think I saw 9 or 10 strikes for dry flies and all of them were in sunny spots. It's more than I've seen all winter, but not as active as I've seen it in the peaks. There were a bunch of anglers on the LR all afternoon. The weather was perfect for a day of fishing. Temps are rising and the water is getting warmer. We'll be back at it tomorrow. We'll go somewhere else in the park to get some more activity. Somewhere where there aren't kids throwing rocks in the river and splashing around at the shore. I love the LR, but this is just not the time to fish it with so many sightseer's.

Paula Begley
03-23-2007, 11:05 PM
I maet Paula today at LRO and she got to meet my family. She handled them well by letting them have a little of their own. ;) (It was awesome to meet you Paula) With 7 aunts and uncles and 20 grandchildren we're a large family and quite the boisterous bunch.

What!? Aww...they were a poor retiring group of shy(ster) folks! :) Actually, it was awesome to meet you all! What a fun group! No doubt you will have a time corralling that herd!

Have a great time this weekend! And warn me before y'all come again! I'll call in the National Guard! ;)

Paula

flyman
03-24-2007, 12:10 AM
DogHairCaddis check your PMs please.

doghaircaddis
03-25-2007, 12:44 AM
Added some photos to go along with the report. Also, it was Noland...not Forney that I fished on Friday morning.

Flyfishjeep
03-25-2007, 09:34 AM
I took the wife and my son up the motor nature trail for a nice drive and a little fishing.
I caught two bows on a bwo. =) I had a few rises on an black elk hair caddis. there were a few families taking pics and of course the youngest was trying to skip rocks across a 5 foot pool, so I had to cut the trip short.
It was a beautiful day to be outside and on the water. Thanks to LRO for getting me some flies since I didn't have a chance to tie this winter with a move into a new home. Also I love the hat with the brookie on the front. It is so good looking. My wife says I look good with a fish hat on my head.
Happy fishing.

RNGIII
03-26-2007, 07:20 PM
What!? Aww...they were a poor retiring group of shy(ster) folks! :) Actually, it was awesome to meet you all! What a fun group! No doubt you will have a time corralling that herd!

Have a great time this weekend! And warn me before y'all come again! I'll call in the National Guard! ;)

Paula

We just got home Paula. Thanks for the hospitality. I've actually got a couple of friends in the 234th in K town. I can arrange a small gathering of them the next time my family comes. That would be pretty funny, that is if they don't read this. My family loves your store and all those that work there. They talked about it a lot this weekend.

We had good luck on Saturday through today. I caught 2 rainbows on Saturday. I caught them on some kind of midge. Similar to a Hare's Ear but green. I guided for my Dad, my aunt, and my uncle on Sunday. I got them on some brookie's. Everybody caught 2 brookie's each after their "lesson". Parachute Adams and Royal Wolfs seemed to be the game for them. This morning I we all hit the Middle prong. I caught 2 on a Royal Wolf within the first 15 minutes of fishing. I thought it was going to be great but I ended up having a dozen or so misses after that and didn't land anymore fish for the next hour. The fish were rising all around me as I was getting out of the water. The fish are getting more active with the warmer weather.

UTK, to me fishing in the mountains is not so much the right fly as it is the presentation of the fly. Staying low, moving slow, and making the fly look natural in the water are all a huge part of landing a fish. Having the right fly is part of the equation, but the presentation is just as important if not more important.