PDA

View Full Version : Clinch River Flies

15yroldflyfisher
03-24-2007, 02:09 AM
I waz wondering if anybody could give me some ideas on good flies to use from May to July?? This would be alot of help, thnx.

92Esquire
03-24-2007, 05:57 AM
I waz wondering if anybody could give me some ideas on good flies to use from May to July?? This would be alot of help, thnx.

You start with a zebra midge.

If that doesn't work, I'd try a zebra midge.

If that's not working, switch to a zebra midge.

If even that doesn't work, I've sometimes had some luck with a zebra midge.

If all else fails, tie on a zebra midge.

Seriously, the only thing I've consistently hooked fish on up at the Clinch is zebra midges in various colors (black/silver wire, black/red wire, brown/gold wire, red/gold wire, green/gold wire) and sizes 18 and 20. I know some guys catch the occasional trout on a tan scud, probably size 16 or so. Also a lot of guys fish wooly buggers, so there's another option.

I've tried pheasant tails, hare's ears, copper johns, and prince nymphs at various times, but nothing is as repeatable as a small selection of bead-head midges.

Deedub
03-24-2007, 09:39 AM
I would second that. I fished at Miller's Island and tore it up with a zebra midge dropped below dry. A lot of it was fingerlings, but I did land about 3 nice size rainbows.
I would recomend the dry for a indicator...those litter buggers gave me fits until I used the dry.

Good luck out there.

FFM4LIFE
03-24-2007, 12:46 PM
I did really well with a Griffiths Gnat dry fly about this time last year..

Waterborn
03-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Be nice to fish the sulphur hatch this year that is if they don't get blown out by over generations....dropping a zebra off a small pheasant is a good way to cover the bases. Scuds, beadhead olive v-rib midges and other midge patterns (nymoh and dries), griffiths are great for blackflys or you can use tiny Elk Hair Caddis...into the spring there are some decent caddis hatches so some little black and larger tan, soft hackles as droppers...

hw3
03-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Concur with the Griffith's gnat. Worked well at the weir dam 21/22 MAR; also agree with the zebras, but hooked into a hoss that broke my 6X the 22d on a #20 dark green nymph not much more than the dark bead head and dark green thread. It was late in the day, and I first thought he pulled out, but on looking at what was left of the package, remembered I had tied a rather weak knot at the tippet, where it broke. Live and learn. Watson

jdwindon
03-24-2007, 10:24 PM
This is MaryvilleJim posting under a new email address. Anyhow, I've been waiting weeks to fish the Park and my partner, a Knoxville native, wants to fish the Clinch. He has no experience with fly fishing. Mine is limited ot the Park and what Walter Babb taught me during my short time with him a year plus ago.

Anyhow, I guess I'm headed to the Clinch tomorrow. ANY help on fly's is appreciated, along with location suggestions, etc. I am a new relocate from south GA but Joel (Knoxville native - Friendsville) knows where the Weir Dam is, and Miller's Island as well.

What about wading the the Clinch? I checked the generator schedule and we most likely won't drown...... I am a bit put off about missing the Park tomorrow, but I guess if there are 500 other fly fishermen there, maybe the Clinch is a better bet.

What the heck is a Zebra and where can I buy some tomorrow - Early?

Flat Fly n
03-24-2007, 11:05 PM
18-22 black fly tied just with thread and a fine silver wire for rib, or it's this animal found mainly in Africa............anything small #18 PTN, george's, forget dries until about mid april

I don't know what time LRO opens tomorrow AM. the creel is no longer open on sundays I believe, and Clinch River Outfitters off of i-75 and on the right just before you turn to go to 441 may be open. If you can't find them, don't worry about it, just stay small

The water takes about 40min to get to Miller's, be safe.

Gerry Romer
03-24-2007, 11:22 PM
What time are you going?? They're s'posed to be generating between 8 and 9 am. So that means fishing the Wier well before 8 am or Miller's Island well before 9 am. Otherwise you're looking at fishing between 10 am and 4 pm (which is okay but I'd rather be in the park). You're not likely to find midges of any stripe between now and tomorrow morning. Unfortunately, you really want to use midges. (You sure you can't talk your buddy into going to the park by way of LRO?) Short of midges, you can try dropping BHPT off small black caddis or strike indicators. If you end up down around Millers Island, try some Adams dries or parachutes on the SE channel around the island working toward the shore structures. If you wade across to the NW side of the island, try working some black or olive woolly buggers or some minnow streamers into the pools.

Good luck and reconsider the park!

Gerry

jdwindon
03-25-2007, 08:04 AM
I will certainly try to steer him to the Park. He seems set on the Clinch as he has never fished the Park before and only fly fished once. He fears falling in, short casts, etc. He thinks that the open space on the Clinch would be "easier". Personally I would chose no fish in the Park over scads from the Clinch.....

Paula Begley
03-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Jwindon

MaryvilleJim...you having trouble with your old account name? Call me at the shop...I can fix it for you! I will be working in the gardens today...but they can call me inside.

Paula

Flat Fly n
03-25-2007, 09:26 AM
Not quite sure what a "scads" in the Clinch are, but maybe you can feel me in on that.

Thanks,
Flat Fly''n

15yroldflyfisher
03-25-2007, 04:03 PM
jdwidon....tell us how you did and wat flies did you use if you cought anything!! And i got a question, wat size of woolly buggers work best around the weir dam and millers island??

FFM4LIFE
03-25-2007, 10:39 PM
I have dont well with size 10's or 12's.

15yroldflyfisher
03-26-2007, 11:21 PM
wat colors did u use??