PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Report

David Knapp
03-25-2007, 07:14 PM
Just got back from a great weekend in the park! The weather was perfect for camping with cool nights and warm days. The streams are perfect as well...

Friday afternoon I fished down low on LR for a little while after getting a campsite and managed three fish with a GRHE picking up to including a beautiful 12 inch rainbow. I saw LOTS of the small dark caddis and a scattering of other bugs.

Saturday I figured I should hike to get away from the crowds and this proved to be a good decision. Went a few miles above Elkmont to a LR tributary and had a good day with over thirty fish caught and even got the slam with one brookie and one brown. The fish would hit just about any type of dry but they weren't interested in too many nymphs except for Tellicos. Occasionally one would hit something else but not often. The fish are definately in feeding mode and scattered throughout the stream in just about every type of water. I relearned that you should never pass up even the tiniest pocket as many fish came out of places that were no more than 6 inches deep and perhaps one foot square. I hit a couple spots along LR on the way back down and picked up a nice 10 inch brown on the Tellico and saw lots of mayfly spinners out laying eggs. There were LOTS of BWO's hatching in the evening as well with good numbers of fish rising.

Today I hit a few spots along LR on the way towards Townsend and picked up a few fish and went over to West Prong and caught several more. A dry/dropper was working very well on West Prong with a very small red copper john being the most productive fly. I fished it under a lime trude and caught a couple on that as well.

On the way out I stopped by LRO to pick up a few tying materials. Byron came over and said that there was another board member there so I met Russ...nice to meet you btw...

Overall it was a great weekend. The hatches are kind of strange. It seems that the bulk of the Quill Gordons and Blue Quills are likely over because I was seeing so many spinners...:confused: The BWO's are going strong though and usually when I found rising fish, they were keying on the BWO's.

Kevin_Thomas
03-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Have I mentioned that I'm stuck in Alabama!!!!

David Knapp
03-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Kevin, when you get back up here we need to go fish the stream that I hit this weekend. It was some of the nicest water I've been on in awhile. The hike isn't bad either compared to some other backcountry day trips...

Kevin_Thomas
03-25-2007, 11:02 PM
Man I can't wait... I'll be fishing the 21st & 22nd of April. You name the place and I'll be there. Until then then, Uncle Sam calls...

mtnman2888
03-26-2007, 05:19 AM
Hey i'll be up there that weekend as well. I'm coming up thursday night, the 19th, and fishing friday, saturday, and sunday. I want to hit abrams one day, my guess is saturday since i think on friday the road opens late for bikers, although it may be packed. One day i'm going back in the woods though!

Craig

Paula Begley
03-26-2007, 07:27 AM
mtnman2888,

This is what I took from the Great Smoky Mountains National Park site about Cades Cove:

Only bicycle and foot traffic are allowed on the loop road from sunrise until 10:00 a.m. every Saturday and Wednesday morning from early May until late SeptemberStill, it looks like a late April Saturday you would be fine to get into Abrams.

Paula

russ
03-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Yes it was nice to meet you platue angler as well as Byron. I wish i could say that I had the success you did but it would be a bold face lie. My buddy and I were above Elkmont Sunday and we only managed three small fish between us. I caught 2 on a quill gordon wet fly and couldn't get a hit on a dry or a nymph. We saw a lot of little black stoneflies hatching but nothing else. We did find a really big stonefly nymph and a worm looking caddis that was at least 3/4" long. i never tried a caddis or BWO, i stuck to quill gordons and thunderheads. I also found out that my thermometer that i bought on Saturday is probably broken. It said that water temp. was 40 degrees on Elkmont and 50 on Tremont.

Hawgdaddy
03-26-2007, 09:17 AM
Plateau Angler,
Sounds like you had a great weekend of fishing. So did we. I was up there with four others, including my wife. We fished Friday (East Prong Little River) and Saturday (West Prong Little Pigeon). Tons of bugs were hatching on both streams. One big plunge pool was chock full of bwo spinners laying eggs. Another glide featured many large brown caddis, and I'm pretty sure I saw a few quill gordons in the air but I never captured one to prove it to myself. The fish rose readily both days to a quill gordon parachute of my own design. When those got fish-slimed and chewed up I caught fish on a Carolina wulff, which the fish may have hit even more aggressively. I even coached my wife into catching a nice little rainbow on the wulff. She missed twelve in about an hour and a half before finally catching that one. She let out a little scream every time she got a hit. I finally got her to transfer that energy into setting the hook :) All of our fish were rainbows and none were very big, but I got three that pushed 9 inches or so. I got around 15 fish total, which isn't too bad considering I missed about that same number and spent much of my time in teaching mode. There were no dead periods for us either day during which we couldn't get a fish to rise. Used dries the whole time. Fish were rising aggressively even up fairly high on the West Prong. Take care,

hawgdaddy

mtnman2888
03-26-2007, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the info paula. I was thinking that the road was closed friday for some reason, but saturday is better. Maybe abrams won't be quite so packed on friday and saturday i can hike back in the woods somewhere to get away from the crowds. I'll definitely stop in the shop, several times i'm sure.

Craig