PDA

View Full Version : Friday on midle prong

Redfish62
03-25-2007, 08:59 PM
I have heard there was a lot of pressure on the middle prong Friday. I made it to the middle prong Friday and was on the water at 11:30am. Following the advice of the fishing report I brought out my Quill Gordon that I had tied myself. I was not very happy with the result as this was my first attempt and had not stripped a peacock quill before but I had, after a great deal of effort, produce 2 of #14 Quill Gordonís. I did not go far up the prong and started at the pool under the first bridge. I got results on the first cast and let it get off the barb less hook. I then hooked and landed a 14" rainbow. The largest rainbow I ever caught in the smokies. I then proceeded to catch a few more bows left one of my quills in a tree and the second vanished on a role cast. After that I had little luck. I stopped in at little river and they gave me some great advise on stripping quills. It was one of my best days in the mountains and I saw no one around where I was. I guess every one else headed further up. A+ day for Redfish62

mtnman2888
03-25-2007, 09:05 PM
Great, glad to see you got into some nice fish (14"!), and on flies that you tied yourself! The fishing has been good the past few days after what seemed like a long winter, although it hasn't really been that long at all. Hopefully you can make it out there again soon.

Craig

David Knapp
03-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Good job on the nice rainbow! That is an excellent fish for the Smokies...

Redfish62
03-26-2007, 08:24 AM
Thanks,
I have had many days where I have caught a lot of trout but the size and on a fly I tied myself made it special.