PDA

View Full Version : Help--I can't see!

gshiggs
03-26-2007, 02:28 PM
I've only recently reached that wonderful middle-age zone where my lifelong near-sightedness is now combined with an inability to see things close up without help, too (reading menus, etc.). Too many computer-screen hours, or just age, I guess.

I've really noticed it when trying to thread tippet onto small dry flies and when tying other kinds of knots. I've seen various types of reading glasses and hat attachments and other vision aids, but would love to hear preferences and reasons why from some of you who might face the same issue. What do you use, and why? Thanks!

kytroutman
03-26-2007, 02:31 PM
On one of my stops at LRO, Daniel helped me with the similar problem. While I liked the convenience of the flip down specs that clipped to the hat brim, they did not help my vision that much. I ended up purchasing something like reading glasses at LRO that do the trick.

Troutman
03-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Check out the new progressive no-line bifocals at your Optometrist. I have the same problem with reading and closeup work. (threading 6x tippet thru a #20 hook) It sure is tough to thread those things especially when the fish are on and its getting late in the day!

Vern
03-26-2007, 10:16 PM
I have tried several differant glasses nothing worked real good. Bought a threader a LRO last year that helped alot. You can get the fly box with threaders but, but i didnt like the flybox. So I got one that I can put on a zinger and also has a set of tweezers.(spelling is not one of my strong points) It has really speeds up the time it takes to tie on a 20 or 22 dry.

Gerry Romer
03-26-2007, 10:52 PM
I've got the no-line bifocals, the 2X magnification "reading glasses", and the clip-on, flip down magnifiers... all of the above. My preference is the clip-on, flip-down style. Why?? They're always there when you need them and they stay out of your field of vision when you don't need them. With the "reading glasses" (which, by the way, you can get at any Walgreen's for peanuts) you're always putting them on and then looking for a place to stash them when you take them off. As for the no-line bifocals... I've been wearing them for about ten years, get my eyes checked regularly and get new ones as needed. But nowhere on those eye charts is an example of a size 20 BWO tied on with 7x tippet. Light changes, backgrounds change, conditions change, your eyes change... go with the flip up.

Here's a tip that will clear up the confusion. When you try the flip-ups (and incidentally they come in different magnifications so try a variety of them) put them on the hat you fish with the most to try them out. If you fish with a long-bill cap, the focal length of the magnifier will be off somewhat so you may need to try a different magnification. If you fish with a Stetson-type hat, the focal length will be different than a traditional ball cap bill or a long-bill cap so you'll need to adjust. They do take a little getting used to but they're worth it.

My one and only complaint. I haven't yet invested in prescription polarized lenses for my no-lines, so I'm using some Orvis clip-on polarized sunglasses on my no-lines. They work great -- best I've ever had. BUT... when I go to tie on a fly, they're too dark and I need to flip them up out of the way. But I also need to flip DOWN the magnifier. It gets a little crowded up there under the bill. With a standard ball cap bill, I have to flip the magnifier down before flipping the sunglasses up. With a long-bill or a Stetson-type hat, it doesn't make a great deal of difference.

Bottom line... the clip-on flip-ups are a better deal. Just be sure to match the focal length to the hat you'll be using the most. (I keep my "reading glasses in my vest for backup.)

Gerry

gshiggs
04-03-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks all.

I ended up with the clip on-flip ups, which seem to work pretty well for me.

Greg