PDA

View Full Version : Help me out here yall

muleskinner
03-26-2007, 04:41 PM
I am so excited about coming up to the great Smokey mountains in May. Were planning on staying from May the 19th thru May the 25th. I can't wait. Will you all please give me some good ideas about places to take my family fishing. We do not mind long walks at all in fact we all want to take walks to the fishing holes just to look at the scenery. I really would like to have a different place to go to each day. We will be going to Dollywood some but we are planning to spend most of our time hiking the trails with our fishing stuff in hand. I have been looking all over the internet. I see a lot of waterfalls listed on there but I am not for sure their all in the park. I would like to try to make each trip come to a waterfall. I have one definitely that i will go to the 1st day and that is Abrams falls. So if you will please pass me some hints of different places you would go. Again the walk are the terrain does not matter. Thanks and maybe i will get a chance to meet some of you while I am up there. I just wish that Laurel Ms. was closer to Townsend TN.

russ
03-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Ramsey Cascades would be a good one. (Bring your rod)
Elkmont would be a good one, but it doesn't have any falls to speak of.
Tremont - Lynn Camp prong, HUGE falls just a little up from the trail head

I think there is a book with a title like "Water Falls of the Smokies". Look for it.

rlockwood
03-26-2007, 04:59 PM
Muleskinner:

My family just got back from a Spring Break trip. Look along the Roaring Fork Motor Trail. We hiked to Grotto Falls and I think Rainbow Falls was another trail accessible from the Motor Trail. Not much good access to the creek on the Grotto Falls hike. It's a pretty steep climb down. But, on the drive out, the Motor Trail follows the creek for miles. There are tons of pull offs and tons of good looking water.

I've heard good things about the hike to Ramsey Cascades, but I've never done it. I'm sure someone will chime in.

Robert

muleskinner
03-26-2007, 08:16 PM
I am not really worried about waterfalls. I mean i wish that I could see my share of them. But the most important thing to me right now is to get my wife and my two daughters out there in them beautiful mountains that the smokys has. Sure i would love for us to catch some fish. But if we don't that is not going to bother me at all. Just being with them and away from the hustle and bustle of work. I tell you all right now I am 150 miles off the coast of Galveston Texas on an oil rig. I am an electrician for diamond offshore. www.diamondoffshore.com (http://www.diamondoffshore.com) And when your out here like I have been this time I have stayed out an extra 7 days in order to make extra money to come up to the mountans. Well when your away from them for an extended period of time it makes you realize what an important part that they are in your life. So i guess this is the reason I have been questioning you all on the mountains because of my lack of knowledge of them. I have been up there a few times but not really serious fishing. I rode straight through the park from Townsend to Cherokee and just fished the spots by the road. I am sure that their is more places than this. So i do appreciate any and all the help you all can give me. To make this a vacarion that we can remember for a lifetime.

sammcdonald
03-26-2007, 09:04 PM
the greenbriar area also provides the porter creek trail for hiking and fishing, plus injun creek, rhododendren creek, and the off trail experience of the tallest hemlock in the eastern us. it also has a 7+ mile hike (grapeyard) that connects greenbriar and roaring fork, the old settlers trail that connects greenbriar to madron bald and then on to cosby via gabe's mountain trail. now, to ramsey cascades trail.....it is tough. eight mile round trip but rewarding in that you will pass between two huge tulip trees and ultimately see a great 100' cascade. on this trail at the end of the 1 1/2 mile jeep road you will see a manway to the left, this would take you to the top of the greenbriar pinnacle. greenbriar was a major settlement before the park and is home to some 19 cemeteries, countless foundations, rock walls, and chimney piles.

sammcdonald
03-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Waterfalls of the Smokies is available at all park visitor centers or at
http://www.smokiesinformation.org/

Kytroutbum
03-26-2007, 11:59 PM
I, also, would suggest the Greenbrair area for sure beauty. It's my favorite to hiking picture taking area.

I would suggest checking out fishing sulfurs and yellow sallies on the mid section of little River between Metcalf bottoms and Elkmont (along the road) the last couple hours of the day(6-6:30 till dark. If the "yeller flies are out, dry fly fishing can be fantastic.

Gerry Romer
03-27-2007, 11:11 PM
Definitely plan a trip/hike up Lynn Camp Prong to Indian Flats. One trail, two falls. Just a short hike from the trail head, about a third of a mile, you'll come up on what they call the cascades. The kids will think it looks like a giant water slide. The second falls you'll have to work a bit for. Look for the Indian Flats trail branching to the right off the Lynn Camp trail, just past the Panther Creek Trail. It gets a bit more rugged but stay with it and you'll be treated to Indian Flats Falls - a series of tiered falls and plunge pools.

This hike is rated Moderate and is 7.6 miles round-trip.

This is an historic trail in many ways and you may want to stop at the Tremont Institute on your way up to get an idea of where you are. This is old logging country and some of the relics and remnants of the logging community can still be found up top if you know where to look. The trail itself - as you will see - starts out very smooth and wide and comfortable. That's because it follows an old railroad bed.

And you'll want your fishing gear at hand at all times. This is the part of the middle prong that's going to be closed off for a few years in order to restore it to a brook trout stream. The portion above the cascades will one day be a prime brookie stream. (It already is but you can expect the surprise rainbow along the way.) By the time you get to Indian Flats falls you'll be around 4,000' elevation, so you know there's gonna be some hungry brookies up there somewhere;)

If possible, get your hands on the National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map (I think it's number 229). LRO sells them. You might also look for the Great Smoky Mountain Trail and Recreation Map published by Earthwalk Press. The National Geographic map is far more detailed and does list and show falls that other maps don't. The Earthwalk Press map is less detailed making it a bit easier to refer to at a glance and it does show shelters.

Hope this helps. We're expecting a report back y'know...

Gerry

ttas67
03-27-2007, 11:53 PM
these are all great suggestions. as far as fishing and waterfalls goes visit deep creek. 3 waterfalls in the first mile. easy wading, good fishing. I'm not trying to plug any products here, but I think you'd benefit greatly by getting a book on fishing in the park.

Brutus
03-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Greeting Muleskinner:

My wife and I love May in the Smokies. Next to September, its our favorite month to come. Abrams Falls is a five mile round trip, rated rough, but only a couple of places are difficult. I packed my waders in and fished the pool last September. By the time the park gate opens and you drive half way around the cove, get packed, and hike the trail, its normally 8:30-9:00 AM before you can actually fish at the pool. Caught some rainbows and horned chubs. What was neat was that the rainbows in the pool were different then the rainbows we caught hiking back to the car above the falls.

Another easy hike is to drive as far back into Elkmont as you can until the road is blocked at the old vacation cabins. We always see fish when hiking this trail, and you can hike as far back as your legs will take you. No waterfall, but an easy hike and fish for the kids.

Of course Tremont is nice, and if you go as far back as you can, then hike to Lynn Camp Falls I believe, above it is good fishing for smaller fish. Watch the kids should you venture out on the midheight portion of the falls.

Now if you want to take a break from fishing, the definitive Smoky hike is to park at Newfound Gap and walk 4 miles out on the AT to Charlies Bunion. You have a 270 degree view of the mountains from a rocky peak. (Again, watch the children). This is an incredible view!! In May at 5000 feet, its still early Spring, and white "spring beauties" carpet some of the trail, and the trees will just be leafing out so bring sunblock if its clear! We pale Celts burn easily.

We have hiked several times to Ramsey Cascade. This is a difficult 4 mile hike to the falls. I would leave the fly rods in the car, hike and enjoy the falls (I believe in May they are framed by "rhodo" and the "slimy salamanders" are at their peak in the pools below the falls.) Then when you get back to the car in the late afternnoon, rest, and fish the streams from the trail head back to the ranger station.

Be sure to check out "Troutfest" in Townsend on the weekend you arrive at the visitor center. We will be there the week prior and must leave on the 19th. I'll leave you some fish though!

Have a great Vacation! Spend some money in Townsend, especially at LRO!

muleskinner
03-28-2007, 09:21 PM
I sure do appreciate all the suggestions you all have gave me. I have printed hem out and me the wife and kids were just now setting around reading them. Yeah I plan on getting me a map from LRO Ms. Peggy also said that she was going to point out some of these places yall are talking aout when I get up there. We will be coming in on Friday night May 19th and we will not be able to get into cabin until Saturday afternoon. I probably will try to find a Church to go to Sunday morning and maybe go fish a little after Church. I will not be on the computer for sure while I am up there because i will be having to much other fun. But I will definitely tell you all about it when i come back. Maybe I can email you some pictures man i can't wait. Well I will talk to you all later take care.