PDA

View Full Version : Clinch TWRA meeting

flydoc
03-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Can anyone give an update of last night's meeting with the TWRA on the Clinch management plan?

Thanks!

Jswitow
03-27-2007, 09:01 AM
I was hoping you were giving the report. Someone will certainly report soon.
Best,
John

Flat Fly n
03-27-2007, 12:10 PM
OK, here's my take on the event.

Frank Fiss got up and gave data, data that at times was weak regarding not enough data points to try to convince one of what they were trying to show, but still data. IF you have ever been to one of these things it's always the same...........we do not think you know what your talking about re:loss of bigger fish, healthier fish, etc, because we have all the data and the shocking data, etc. They try, and Frank Fiss has tried, and Phil Bertolli, but the overall view of last night from the fishermen that were there was the river is dying, or not the same as it was and something needs to happen, despite what the data shows the the "overall catch rate is up" even if it is a 7" fish, produced by the 300,000 3" fish that were stock last year in the Clinch.
Woopee!

Now what got done.

They wanted our imput on a 5 year "wish list" for the river. After 4 large pieces of paper were an entire room of people brainstormed we were all able to come away without gunfire or a knife fight! We all joined hands in the end and sang "Chum by Here"! OK, we didn't go that far.

There were some good suggestions. OF course, suggestions are just that, suggestions. Frank Fiss promised NOTHING. He wants to take the suggestions (turned in by June 1), study them (by July 1) and then report to the regional office sometime this summer and then finalize the plans around October and then IF there are changes to be made take them the final TWRA meetings in DEC..If I am correct in this. Of course people ask for better enforcement, slots, regs, and access, as well as better cooperation from TVA on water releases and even minimal flow, say 200 CFS at non generation times.

Now what you can do...........
All suggestions are due by the end of June to Mr. Fiss. If you want C&R, slots, or leave it alone........write and send it..if you don't have the time to send a 5 min letter to change the fishing on this river for the next 5-10 years, then don't complain. IF your kids fishing on a potential blue ribbon stream in the next 5-10 years is worth it to you, take them to Ark, MT, NM, heck for that matter NY state, or write and ask for changes.

My brief suggestions to him is one..........treat the Clinch like every other "heavily fished tailwater(Trout Management Plan for TN 2006/Fiss) and have special regs and zones. ONe brief note. Of EVERY tailwater in that discussion on page 8(Apalachia, Wilbur,S.Holston, and Center Hill, and thte Clinch), the Clinch is the only tailwater WITHOUT special regs. or zones!!!!!!

So now it is up to YOU and everybody that YOU KNOW to write Mr. Fiss with suggestions...

That web address is twra.clinch@state.tn.us or twra.org I think will get you there..

I have tried not to throw in my opinions or suggestions. I have them, but I will write myself with what I would like to see, and I hope that you will do the same.

Flat Fly'n

RFowler
03-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Phil,

Thank you for informing those of us that couldn't make it! Okay folks, Phil has put it out there, if you want the Clinch to be managed like our other quality tailwaters in TN then please write and say so.

Jswitow
03-27-2007, 01:51 PM
I just posted my thoughts to the TWRA site that Flat-Fly-N listed. Click on it, and give your thoughts, it shouldn't take a few minutes......... and it just might finally accomplish something.
Best,
John

flydoc
03-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the update. I couldn't make it to the meeting, but I'll definitely send my thoughts on to TWRA. My "wish list" would include better enforcement and catch-and-release only or at least slots for the browns. Let the meatfishers keep their stringers of 7" rainbows; that's never going to go away. Having spent countless days on the Little Red, White, and Norfork in Arkansas I know what kind of potential the Clinch has. I appreciate TWRA's willingness to listen and hope some changes can be made in the future.

Sivad
03-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the report. What are you talking about when you say "slot"?

Thanks

RFowler
03-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Sivad,

Look up "slot limit" on Google. Slot limits are put into place on some waters to protect certain sizes of fish from being harvested. The slot on the South Holston, which covers both rainbows and browns, is currently 16 - 22". By making it illegal to harvest fish in this size range the number of fish in this size increase.

It takes a few years for the Clinch to grow a fingerling to this slot size so we're tying to get some special regs put in place to protect them. I think a slot would be accepted more widely than any kind of C&R or artificial only regs. The C&K crowd can still harvest fish outside of the slot and the C&R people have a more dense population of fish in that size range. This shows good balance and reasoning since there are different users of the resource. Catering to just one user group is a dated practice.

Petey
03-27-2007, 04:53 PM
I was hoping to make the meeting, but duty calls when your wife works and you have a 3 year old (almost).

I did send in my letter addressing changes and ideas I would like to see addressed.

Thanks for posting and attending.

The Clinch is and can be a fabulous fishery. But as with most anything life, it can be improved.

Petey :)

Troutman
03-28-2007, 01:40 PM
I was not able to attend the meeting either, so I did send an email letter to TWRA with suggestions.
Thanks to everyone that attended and is working for changes on this river. I haven't fished it in a long time due to the poor quality of fishing and limited access. Maybe working together as a strong voice for change will get the attention of higher authorities within TWRA. Troutman

mstone
03-28-2007, 03:09 PM
The idea of a slot limit in place on the Clinch does make the most sense. Enforcement is the only obstacle to a quality fishery after that though.I was never checked on the river. I can only wonder why this avenue wasn"t taken years ago. Slot limits have been around other places for years.

mstone

p.s. thanks to those who were able to
attend and report on the meeting.

psnapp
03-28-2007, 08:10 PM
I've been fishing the Clinch since 1982. I've spent a lot of time on the river and have seen 1 TWRA game warden in all those years. He didn't bother to check my license!

Flat Fly n
03-29-2007, 09:23 PM
OK young uns! FFM4LIFE and 15yearlold........and SIVAD, and the rest of you young guys and gals out there. This is YOUR river too. Did you young people voice your opinions on what to do? If you think catching a 7" fish is thrilling and it is, wait until one rips you into your backing, and your arm gets so tired you think it's going to fall off. That's what used to be on that river, and was pretty common.

The only reason we have some great fishing in this country is because of the people before us....so make sure you write in and tell the commission what you want to see. Don't think your voice does not count. Being an activist is not a bad word, if it's for the right thing.

Flat Fly'n

Jswitow
03-30-2007, 01:43 PM
We will see what happens with the new regs.............fingers crossed!

I am happy to say that I received a response to my email, the same day. They even answered my question, so I know they read the email.

Send in your thoughts to the web address Flat-Fly-N posted.

Hope all have a good weekend,

John