PDA

View Full Version : Brook trout streams

Kentucky Kid
03-27-2007, 05:45 PM
I am going to be heading to the smokies for spring break in early April and I am going to be staying in or near Townsend. I was wondeering what streams would be good to fish for brook trout. I don't mind a hike.

Vern
03-28-2007, 05:29 PM
I am not a great brooktrout fisherman, but have caught a few. My best advice is to go above 3000 feet, this usually means hiking in an hour or so. Brooktrout streams are like hidden gold mines to most people so you may not get exact fishing holes from members of the board, but if you look back at some old post you can get some good starting loctations. Your best bet is to stop by LRO and ask Byron or one of his staff. They have never failed to send me in the right direction.

mtnman2888
03-28-2007, 06:59 PM
That is good advice. I have caught brook trout very low, a little above 2000', but almost always they will be at 3000' or above. I'm not really familiar with brook trout streams in the townsend area, but take a glance at a map of the area and look for headwaters of streams that are high up. Also, if you can find an older map that shows all the streams that were once closed for fishing a few years back, those are all brook trout streams that were closed for restoration. All of those are now open for fishing as far as i know, so any of those you could catch a spec at. Hope this helps and you'll love every minute of brookie fishing!

Craig

old tom
03-28-2007, 08:15 PM
First post on this board. Hi. My name's Tom and I'm a trout fishing addict.

mtnman, unless the Park Service opened them this year, there are still three steams on the TN side and three on the NC side that are still closed. They are listed on the GSMNP web site. My recollection is that all of them were a pretty good ways back in the woods.

ijsouth
03-28-2007, 09:37 PM
First post on this board. Hi. My name's Tom and I'm a trout fishing addict.

Ok everyone, say "HI TOM"...lol. You are indeed correct - I know of at least one ...Sams Creek, a tributary of Thunderhead in the Tremont area. There are a couple of others that are the extreme headwaters of streams that are open.

I believe that Byron wrote that Sams Creek would serve as the source of the brook trout that will be stocked in Lynn Camp Prong next year. Perhaps, when that stream is closed (for a number of years), Sams Creek will be opened - it has been closed since 2002, I think.

I agree with the sentiment about the brookies...while I don't turn up my nose at any fish, there is something about fishing in these isolated, claustrophobic headwaters for native fish...I can't really put it into words.

sammcdonald
03-30-2007, 10:05 PM
free map......fishing regulations and map....any PARK visitor center..i', at GWC on the spur....come get one