PDA

View Full Version : Abrams Creek Camp ground

Redfish62
03-28-2007, 08:13 PM
I am thinking about trying Abrams Creek near the camp ground off Happy Vally Road. I have not fished there before any info would be appreciated.

sammcdonald
03-30-2007, 07:07 PM
well, just be advised that "happy valley" is totally misnamed and the inhabitants reflect that. leave no valuables in your car and don't expect a ranger to ever be at the ranger station.

Redfish62
03-30-2007, 09:03 PM
I have checked out the area a couple of times and I was chilled by the sound of banjo music. I am sorry your exp in the area was bad.
Redfish62

sammcdonald
03-30-2007, 09:06 PM
my experience has not been bad....however, since i work in a park visitor center i do hear lots of other bad experiences.........from visitor and park personnel. the banjo music is the "happy valley string quartet".

ijsouth
03-30-2007, 10:17 PM
It's amazing...it seems that, no matter where you live, if there's a location with good fishing, chances are the "locals" aren't too friendly. A couple of places I fish down here are just like that - they KNOW you aren't from around there, and they sure give you some looks. Nevermind the fact that you're paying good money for gas, boat launch, etc...they don't really want you around.

I checked out the trailhead to the campground, etc a few months back...I know exactly what y'all are talking about.

Jswitow
03-30-2007, 11:44 PM
IJ,
I used to go back there 10 or 11 years ago. Never had any trouble then but you could tell that you were way back there. Last year someone was shot in the parking lot for the campground. I would be weary about camping there or leaving anything in plain sight. I never had any trouble back there though.
It is pretty country, the ridge to take you to Little Bottoms is a killer!
Someone on this site had a thread a couple of weeks ago, talking about Lakers from Chilhowee up that way. You just may be surprised with what you catch. We use to catch smaller fish and lots of smallmouth as well. Also it is the slickest creek in the park, be careful. Lots of rock ledges sloping away from you as you wade upstream.
Tight lines,
John

orvis
03-31-2007, 07:37 PM
I was raised a little south of Happy Valley. There have been some things happen back there over the years. It wasnt to long ago all along Chillhowee lake on above the turn off for the trail head was a real bad area but it has gotten to be a pretty safe area. Most of the bad things that have happened are because of drinking. If iam not mistaking the person that was shot at the campground was in a drunken fight with someone I also belive they had come to the campground together but I could be wrong on that. I wish the beer would go away and most of the problems would go away with it. I have hiked the Abrams creek and little bottoms area quite a bit and personally have never had any problems. There are alot of good people in the Happy Valley area that are hard working folks. Unfortunatly there are some that arent. I have never felt concerned for my safety back there though. I have never stayed in the public campground at the rangers station but the campers staying their that I have met over the years have always been nice. I hate it that a few people give the area a bad rep.http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

Redfish62
04-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Thanks every one,
I am going to fish the area and it looks good.
It is unfortunate that a few bad people give an area a bad rep. And I agree about beer. I go fishing in the smokies at least once a week and nothing ticks me off like seeing beer cans at the parking spots. Why do beer drinkers fill some one should pick up after them.
Redfish62