PDA

View Full Version : First Smokey Mountain Trip

Payne102
03-29-2007, 09:13 PM
On Wednesday I had my first Smokey Mountain fishing experience. Wow! What a treat for mind, soul and body. The scenery, the solitude.. just being there was fabulous. The trout were magnificently colored and when they took the fly they did so with gusto. Fished both the Tremont section and Little River. For me it was a great day. Caught a dozen or so mixed rainbows and browns with the largest being a beautifully colored fat brownie of a foot or little more, I can't recall a day that I learned so much. I highly recommend that anyone going for the first time or having some technique difficulties hire a guide. It really cuts down on the learning curve. didn't mean to ramble. Just very excited about this wonderful trip. It certainly won't be my last. Now if I can just figure out a way to make a living in Townsend... maybe open a restaurant that is open on Monday and Tuesday nights.

sammcdonald
03-30-2007, 10:00 PM
townsend needs a store that sells home stuff....an ace hardware....ya can't buy that here. i can't buy a furnace filter! restaurant is a bad idea.....got enuff and about 2 more.

ijsouth
03-30-2007, 10:21 PM
I love Townsend...I've stayed there a few times now, and it's simply ideal - almost a straight shot for me coming up from Louisiana, and without the traffic of Pigeon Forge, etc...of course, I haven't witnessed it during tubing season.

ttas67
03-30-2007, 11:02 PM
listen brother, you haven't been to townsend if you haven't witnessed tubing season. picture this: you're tossing a yellow sally, catching a few fish and enjoying the serenity of our lovely national park. you're playing all your cards right, stalking slowly and keeping a low profile so as not to spook the trout. Suddenly, out of nowhere you hear someone upstream unleash a rebel yell. within about 30 seconds a barrage of rowdy crazies start closing in on your prime stretch of trout water. just as he floats right over your spot, one of the guys, in a wifebeater asks, "you catchin anything?" well, now you're not. after he passes, you look back to see him casually tossing his natty light can on the rocks. beer cans are the spinners of the tuber hatch. you'll also find the occasional article of clothing on the stream as well. This will consist mainly of flip-flops, but a random tshirt sighting is to be expected as well.

ijsouth
03-30-2007, 11:55 PM
Geez...what fun...sounds like the armadas of jet skis, pleasure boaters, and other perverts down here - all crocked off their gourds, of course. Start catching fish, and they'll plow right through the area you're working.

However, I love the brookies, and I don't mind a bit of a walk to get away from the crowds, so there's always that option. I fished for three days up in Shenandoah National Park last summer, and I only saw one other fisherman the whole time. We parked up on Skyline Drive and hiked down to the streams - way too isolated for tubers or swimmers. I've only just started fishing the Smokies (I like the idea that it's that much closer to home), and I know there's a lot more "activity" in and around GSMNP, but I've found a few places already a bit off the beaten path.

rainshaker
03-31-2007, 12:00 AM
Trevor...

I can't help but "bust out" anytime there is a tuber story posted here. Really, I don't know why the Tuber phenomenon is so funny to me. I guess it's because there's no real course of action for us as anglers so we're forced to just "poke fun" towards the group as a whole (not too difficult).

Your story to anyone who hasn't experienced Tuber season in Townsend might assume that you were exaggerating but sadly, I know you're not.
My best story is similar to yours (like a lot of people's) except the tuber with the beer and the "wife-beater" met me at the fishing hole around 7 a.m.:eek: you're dead-on about the discarded clothing also...Heck that's what the Tubing community prides itself on ------->Discarding things.

good times

Troutman
03-31-2007, 08:53 AM
Watch out also for the occasional flying dirty diaper to come sailing out of a car window traveling on LR road and land just upstream of you while fishing. Yeah, its happened to me.

David Knapp
03-31-2007, 11:18 AM
I guess it's because there's no real course of action for us as anglers

Perhaps you're overlooking the usefulness of a clouser, zonker, or heavily weighted bugger....:rolleyes: Enhancing the efficiency with a double haul of course....;)

sammcdonald
03-31-2007, 05:01 PM
and today i saw a vinyl hatch on the little river.........yesterday a bear, today tubers. i'll take the bear anyday.

Green Weenie
04-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Perhaps you're overlooking the usefulness of a clouser, zonker, or heavily weighted bugger....:rolleyes: Enhancing the efficiency with a double haul of course....;)

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/4562/tubingqs7.th.jpg (http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tubingqs7.jpg)
(Click for larger view)

Double haul, indeed.:D

old tom
04-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Okay. Since this thread has now been properly hijacked into a tuber thread, let me ask a question. Do you think the fish become acclimated in a stream that sees a lot of tubers in the summer? If a fish sees 100 tubers a day float by, do they become used to it and loose their fear of seeing a fisherman? You still have to move your rod out of they way as they come by but I wonder if they put the fish down.

sammcdonald
04-02-2007, 04:15 PM
that's why i use the "tuber fly" in those waters....

Barbara
04-02-2007, 10:27 PM
Old Tom,

I wondered about that too. On some days, in certain spots on Little River, tubers, waders, picnicers with kids with rocks, etc are around all day. When do the trout EAT? Do they leave? Wait til dark?

choctaw
04-03-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm convinced that when it comes to fishing there is no one answer to any question! Other than if one goes one will be assured of having fun! Last summer I decided to try fishing the Little River in Townsend just below where the Hwy. 321 bridge crosses. When I got to my favorite spot about mid morning there must have been two dozen tubers above, below and at it. Way too many to fly fish. So, having the urge to fish too strongly to ignore (you know the feeling) I returned to my nearby pickup and got out the spinning tackle hoping no other fly fisherman would walk up and see me being a traitor to our favorite sport. Well, the fun was still there even with the 'wrong' equipment! In the next ninety minutes and in casting between tubers I landed two smallies, a bluegill and a 19.5" rainbow, all on a very small crappie spinner. (Yep, I put the tape to her, biggest bow I've caught...so far!)

I really don't know what the answer to why and how this can happen. I just want the fun and the challenge to continue!!

Choctaw

Big Bad Wulff
04-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Nothing wrong with other people using the stream. When we start to think "we own" the stream then there are serious problems. The littering is another story and that is disgusting to me. But, fishermen litter too and other users don't blame all fishermen for littering.
This 'user conflict' is becoming a problem in many differing arenas but when WE start to think we own something that is for public use that is worse than anything...............