PDA

View Full Version : Caney Fork...???

David Knapp
03-30-2007, 07:44 PM
Just wondering if anyone has been on the Caney in the last few days...? I'll probably be hitting it on Sunday and wondered if the fish are keying on "normal" stuff again or are they still looking for shad... For that matter, are shad still coming through or is that over?

doghaircaddis
03-30-2007, 09:57 PM
Spoke to a friend of mine who went yesterday. He said there were a few shad coming through but nothing like a few weeks ago. Said he picked up a couple on midges, but the real ticket was an olive bugger.

David Knapp
03-30-2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks! I may have to tie up a few streamers and/or buggers that look like shad tomorrow night...

I should have mentioned, if anyone is interested in joining me to fish the Caney Sunday morning, send me a PM....

Grumpy
03-31-2007, 06:45 AM
You didn't hear this from me, a small white clouser in deepwater, midges in skinny stuff, i'll be on the river with a couple of friends, probably downstream looking for buffalo.

Grumpy

txbrown
03-31-2007, 08:23 AM
Last 2 weekends my sons and I have had success fishing a bugger. Best results were with a chrome and white combination. Caught 8 rainbows and browns in a 90 minute period without moving 20 yards. All were over 15 with most were over 18 inches. All are still there.

We are new to fishing tailwaters and had been told by shops to fish the tiny midges. We switched after seeing the browns chasing shad our first day.

David Knapp
03-31-2007, 11:35 AM
Txbrown, welcome to the board and thanks for the heads up! Out of curiosity, have you been doing well on the upper river or farther down?

Grumpy, I never have tied into one of those buffalo fish although I've spent a bit of time casting over some at Happy (or some other carp looking fish). Do they eat "normal" trout flies or is it top secret?

Jswitow
03-31-2007, 01:05 PM
Plateau,
I am supposed to float the Taccoa tomorrow or I would go with you. I spoke with a guy who fished it last weekend (LandonH) he said he fished from Happy Hollow up and took 30 fish, the largest a 23" brown. It was his first trip and he is now officially spoiled and a Caney fan. I didn't ask what he used though. Maybe he will get in on this thread.
Best,
John

txbrown
03-31-2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks. Been a reader for over a year. I have enjoyed learning about trout fishing from this board. I started FF growing up in KY for bluegill and bass. Moved to TX and learned saltwater. Now living in TN and learning trout. I do love the 2 & 3 wgt FF.

We have been doing well in the Happy Hollow area.

Grumpy
04-01-2007, 06:11 AM
Grumpy, I never have tied into one of those buffalo fish although I've spent a bit of time casting over some at Happy (or some other carp looking fish). Do they eat "normal" trout flies or is it top secret?

They love crayfish, when they are really into the spawn, we've had them hit just about anything, you have to put it on their nose though.

Grumpy

David Knapp
04-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Well, I hit the Caney today and had one of the best days I've had there in a long time. Water was low and clear all morning making it easy to spot fish. Started with a dry and zebra midge dropper which I used until the generation hit. Caught lots of fish today with plenty in the 14-16 inch range. I also missed 4 that were probably 18-20 inches and one that was an absolute hog. The really large one hit a streamer I was stripping hard during the pulse but didn't connect with the hook. Today I finally discovered what the big deal is with streamers...I've never had tons of luck fishing them but today the big browns were all over it even if I was having a hard time connecting with them. It will make your heart stop to see a huge buttery brown torpedo come up and swirl on your streamer...:eek: I did manage 3 or 4 fish on the streamer but no hogs... I've gotta take my canoe down there and float sometime soon. If you can cover a lot of water, I would think you could boat a lot of quality fish.

The river is in really good shape right now with excellent representation from all sizes/ages of fish. The fish are very healthy with even the 14 inch rainbows pulling like a freight train on the 5 wt...good times and I'll have to do it again soon!!!

ttas67
04-02-2007, 12:12 AM
dang, I should've met you down there this morning. It's been a while since I've caught a 14"er.

Flat Fly n
04-02-2007, 06:41 AM
This all makes sense from the Clinch River meeting the other night with TWRA. With all these great reports on the Caney, now I know why Frank Fiss (trout fishing biologist for TWRA) confessed to fishing more on "HIS home waters", the Caney. Hmm, maybe this is why the Caney is doing so well now, and others are not.

Regs for the Clinch, as other "heavily fished tailwaters", from Mr. Fiss's report on trout fishing would be appreciated

Flat Fly'n

adamtn
04-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Plateua angler, do you wade thru the one hour pulse or does the water get too high?

David Knapp
04-02-2007, 08:41 PM
I waded during the pulse but it must be done very carefully. You need to know the area you are wading. The current is very strong and staying upright is not a given if you wade very deep...

Big Bad Wulff
04-04-2007, 03:02 PM
I hear white wooley buggers are working. Shhhh.

Troutman
04-09-2007, 02:33 PM
I have never fished the Caney, only crossed it driving to Nashville. Does this river have shoals and any fast water or is it pretty much flat smooth water. From the reports I've read, it sounds like most of it is smooth and most fish are sighted and then cast too. How does it compare to say the Watauga or S. Holston on low water? Just wondering.

David Knapp
04-09-2007, 06:22 PM
It is flat water although there are some sections that get really shallow on low water. I've had to help my canoe along through a couple of spots before. You can sight fish if that is what you like to do or you can just cover the water. Both are very productive although if you are just covering water, it does help to know where the fish tend to be...

Realtyman
04-15-2007, 05:54 PM
I have fished the Caney for 18 days in a row in rain, sleet, storms, and ferocious wind. Consistently producing hook ups on #8 white wooly buggers with the flash in them behind a 9' leader with 3' of same wt tippet. This setup works very well when the "pulse" arrives and after wards in the falling water. Add some split shot and cast a little upstrem for the bugger to get down and the current to swing it across for browns. Bows on top unweighted. Midge hatch coming off at low "tide" during the day.

mike9593
04-15-2007, 09:10 PM
I see you are using # 8 hooks. What length hook are you using. Short 3X or larger profile? I was at the Caney about 2 weeks ago and caught several bows on olive w.b. small to med. size. When I returned someone had replied to my blog about what to use at Caney. They said they were tearing up the fish on black w.b. I tried some black leach patterns, but no w. buggers. That was my first trip to Caney. I enjoyed fishing there. I hope to get back down there this spring. When I was at Caney I didn't notice any shad kill, so I didn't even through a white bugger.

David Knapp
04-15-2007, 10:16 PM
I believe the shad kill has been over for awhile now, at least for the most part. The fish seem to still remember though and white is a good color...

Realtyman
04-15-2007, 10:22 PM
The buggers are commercial as I don't tie at all. Don't know the length of the hook. Had to go to a size 6 this weekend untill next shipment arrives. Caught good fish on the size 6 but not as many fish as on the 8. May have to go with a bigger leader cause I got broke off on 5x more than once. I felt the rod shake like you hit it with a stick or something, no tug , or hit; just a real hard smash and grab job. Black with silver flashing is working to. There hasn't been any shad kill coming through for the last two weeks, but when the water rises the fish expect them to be there, so you need to be there!

Troutman
04-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Flat Fly N, I read an article in the TN Sportsman magazine today about the Caney and how great a fishery it has become. It had several picts. and directions to access the river. I wonder if Mr. Fiss had anything to do with that? I haven't read anything on the Clinch in a long time. Hmmm. Wonder why?

Realtyman
04-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Caney is wet this week. Better bring a boat. Generation from 6am To 10pm so far every day this week and for tomorrow. After all the rain, they are pulling the lake down as fast as they can. No wading for me!

mstone
04-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Hey Realtyman,
Is it easy to run the river with a 16 big jon w/25 hp ? I'm concerned about rocks , barely submerged trees, etc. Thought about trying it this weekend.

mstone

Realtyman
04-19-2007, 01:33 PM
When the water is up, you won't have any trouble at all. At "low tide" when the generators are off then you are gonna have trouble. Even canoes get caught in the riffles where the water is shallow. Now if you had aRiverhawk with a jet mtr then you can do anything you want to. I gotta get one!

Currently running 1 generator from 6-10 with a discharge of 3700cfs. That's alot of water to fish in.