PDA

View Full Version : FF club meeting in Knoxville

Troutman
03-31-2007, 02:48 PM
I met Dave Duffy (Butte Irish) today at Gander Mtn. to hear his presentation on starting a FFF club hear in the East TN. area. Dave and his wife drove 3 hours from NC to meet with everyone. Well, Dave and myself were the only ones who showed up. I guess this shuts the door on having a dedicated FF organization here. I guess you can tell that I'm disapointed that no one was willing to give up an hour of their time for this. Sorry again Dave, It was nice meeting you both. I'll be sending you emails every so often. Troutman

RFowler
03-31-2007, 05:17 PM
I thought you were taking a trip this weekend, Gary.

As for the FF club. This is a bad time of year for any weekend indoor type stuff. Everybody's enjoying the weather. Winter would be better.

Troutman
03-31-2007, 05:52 PM
Rusty, Kids had soccer this morning and I had told Dave I was coming. He was expecting others also. Maybe next Nov./ Dec. time period would be better. I just feel bad that they drove all the way here for a second try at this.
Dave is a great guy and didn't seem to concerned. We talked for about an hour
about our favorite WW species. He's a fanatic also.
As far as the trip planning is going, I'm watching the incoming weather.

tennswede
03-31-2007, 08:42 PM
I have said and I was the initial poster on this thread, that I am more than willing to volunteer and help out. I am a member of FF since 1996. I didn't want to be critical but I wasn't crazy about a 10:30 am Saturday gathering. We need to organize this on a weeknight and I will make sure I will be there. Yes I do feel bad about Mr Duffy driving that far and no one else showed up, but as previous poster said Spring is here and Saturday morning is not prime time for indoor stuff.

Troutman
03-31-2007, 10:29 PM
I was thinking that if there is still enough interest in starting a local club with the FFF, that we could invite Dave back for the cookout during troutfest. We only need 7 people to start this up. I think all the local FF guides and shops would benefit from having a local club. Lots of networking possibilities between the different clubs across the country and all of its members. What do you all think?
Table this till next winter or try to reschedule a meeting during Troutfest?

By the way, sorry if I sounded sarcastic in the earlier post. Venting frustration.
Troutman

Flat Fly n
04-01-2007, 08:42 AM
Dave & Troutman,
I apologize for not attending yesterday. We run a HS lacrosse team of 40 young men. We had games yesterday, and the prep to get these things going is unbelievable.

I would be happy to help in this organization, but I could not attend yesterday. Please contact me if this gets off the ground.

Flat Fly'n
http://www.westknoxwarriors.com/

tennswede
04-01-2007, 09:13 AM
Troutman!

All good over here, I understand your frustration. Count me in on Troutfest. I am going for the acid depo in the morning on Saturday and I am going to be at Metcalf around 3 pm. We should be able to get this going. Keep in touch.

Byron Begley
04-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Sorry I couldn't be there. I take off maybe one Saturday per year but I'm working all the others. I'm a member and still in. But I can't do much about the Saturday thing.

Byron

Butte Irish
05-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Hi all.

i feel i must explain what whnet on with this meeting and why i picked a saturday.

The Saturday fit best for my schedule. And that particular saturday was an especially nice Saturday. I was hoping for rian LOL LOL LOL.

This club can get off the ground. I do not have to be there and can have a member of the baord from the Council be there or you guys can do it. it is not very hard. It just takes 7 willing workers. You are out there.

Wait until fall is good or just go do it. All the materials are on the FFF website to start a club.

The link is: http://www.fedflyfishers.org/abcharterClub.php

Week nights do work better as they usually do not conflict with fishing and sports etc.

What are the benifits check out this link for some really great learning activities.

http://fffsec.org/

when to the site just click on the seminars and programs icon on the upper left part of the page and look it over and then decide if this is enough value for the membership and a good reason to start a club and be a part of this.

Dave Duffy

LROjunky
05-27-2007, 06:49 AM
Hi,

I have just moved from Michigan. I was one of the original 7 that has started a FFF for the Huron River. I got transferred before things got off the ground. I am still be CC: on all of their emails about the formation of a FFF. I would be willing to participate or just help in anyway I can.

Jim

tennswede
09-23-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm bumping this one. It is getting to be that time of year again. Let's see how we can get this going. If we can get this going on week night in Knoxville I would be most happy. I am a member of TU in Maryville and we have a chapter in Knoxville as well as in Clinton. I think now is the time to get a Federation of Fly Fishers club in the Knoxville area. I'm hoping we can get enough people to at least do some river clean ups both inside the park, and in Townsend as Byron has suggested in another thread. I'm also interested in clean up on the Clinch. I'm in no way trying to compete with TU it's just that Knoxville need another organization to complement what we already have. Let's hope Dave Duffy is still interested in helping us. I can probably get this going with some support from the veterans.

Backcountry FF
09-25-2007, 01:12 PM
Hans,

As a fellow Knoxvillian, I would definitely support this cause. I recently joined up with the LRTU chapter, but I think there is room enough in my life for another organization dedicated to the same ideas.

Glad you pushed this again.

smokyfisher
09-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Hans
I have also talked to Dave Duffy about this and have down loaded the forms.
we just have to pick a week night that would work, we can have it at Gander Mtn.

UofMontanaAlum
09-25-2007, 06:15 PM
I'm in. Send me an email if/when this gets going and I will be more than happy to help. Always look forward to meeting new fly fishermen. ScottJPaulson@gmail.com.

Thanks,
Scott

tennswede
09-25-2007, 08:37 PM
smokyfisher!

Sounds like you are one step ahead of me, that's is great news. Do you want to take the lead to see if we can coordinate this somehow. I'm committed to something else on Thursday nights for six weeks or so but any other night will work for me. I'm not sure how we can coordinate this. Anyway, my email is ahlstedt@knology.net. Email and I will give you my phone numbers and such.

Montana and back country and everyone else, let's spread the word and see if we can get everyone's email as a start so we can coordinate to meet.

CinciVol
09-26-2007, 07:41 AM
I'd love to join as well. Let us know when the meetings occur!

Troutman
09-26-2007, 09:59 AM
Count me in again as well Hans. If I remember correctly, Dave told me we needed at least 5 people to start a local chapter.

tennswede
09-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Update: We are trying to get this going. I have spoken with one person who is going to contact Gander Mountain here in Knoxville to see about the availability of their meeting room. We are tentatively going to try for a Tuesday night and we are hoping to get a start up meeting sometime in November or so. If you are seriously interested in this please email me at ahlstedt@knology.net so I can get a tally for this. We are going to be affiliated with Federation of Flyfishers as a charter club. Keep the emails coming and this could be a great fun thing to do.

IF YOU HAVE SHOWN AN INTEREST AND MADE A POST PLEASE EMAIL, TO MY EMAIL ADDRESS ABOVE SO I CAN BEGIN A TALLY. sorry for the shouting.

Thanks,

UofMontanaAlum
09-29-2007, 04:47 PM
e-mail sent. Looking forward to meeting ya'll.

Leonidas
10-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Hans just emailed you!

Backcountry FF
10-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Hans,

Just sent you an email. Hope to hear from you soon.

drag line
10-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Hans I am interested also I will email you

tennswede
10-05-2007, 10:21 AM
To all who has posted or sent me email. I will not respond toe each individual until I know for sure when and where this first inaugaral meeting will take place. I'm in contact with a person here in Knoxville who has been shopping around for a place to meet and I will let everyone know when we got it nailed down. Thanks for your patience and I haven't forgot anyone who has showed interest in this.

Thanks,

tennswede
10-09-2007, 06:23 PM
I spoke with my contact today, Dave Carson. He has done a tremendous job in hunting down a meeting location for our first try in establishing a Federation of Fly Fishers charter club in Knoxville. If you are interested in finding out if this is something for you please join us at EARTH FARE located in Turkey Creek shopping center in West Knoxville. We are going to meet on Tuesday November 27 at 6:30 PM. Please ask for the community room when you enter the premises. I and Dave will be there and he is trying to get someone from FF to come and speak with us.

I can't stress enough how important this is if you are remotely interested in an organization who is furthering the case of fly fishing. We are in no way in competition with TU but rather a complementary organization. We are for all fly fishers interested in all kinds of species. If you are interested to find out if this organization is for you please attend. I will make another post about this when we get closer to the date. Please let everyone know who you think might be interested in this. We will be affiliated with the Federation of Fly Fishers and we be incorporated as such club. Liability insurance and bylaws will be in accordance with their guidelines. Cost will be in the neighborhood of being a TU member. Thanks to Dave for setting this up and contacting me.

I will respond to all individual emails in a few day. See ya all there.

A Heartfelt thanks to LRO for letting me post this here.

UofMontanaAlum
10-10-2007, 04:46 PM
I will be there! Thanks for all the work in getting this up and going. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

LROjunky
10-10-2007, 11:49 PM
I got your email. Just curious, what is the final tally?

tennswede
10-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Well, It looks like including all who emailed and a couple who just posted their intereset plus myself and Dave, and maybe another person who is a friend of mine we are probably looking at 12 or so at this point.

tennswede
11-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Bumping this one again. It's getting closer, I will send another reminder the day before the event.

We will meet at EARTH FARE IN TURKEY CREEK, west Knoxville, at 6:30 pm on Tuesday November 27, 2007. We will be in the community room. Ask for the FFF guys. Hope to see you there and please spread the word.

Thanks,

Hans Ahlstedt

Butte Irish
11-16-2007, 11:58 PM
I spoke with Jack Cummings, VP Membership and he will give his best shot at being there.

I will be sending his contact info to Dave Carson and wish all of you the best luck luck in doing this. It is really quite easy to do and the rewards are very good.

I wish i could makes it but it will be difficult. I have had a change in my life and on the same evening I will be doing the same thing in my home town.

I have relocated to Lovell, WY and will be in butte, MY to get a club going.

It has taken a bunch of years but i got a change yo get closer to home and the deal was too good to pass up.

Uof M alumni, I will be watching the Griz take care of the kitties and have tickets to next week playoffs. See you in chatty in December.

any help that i can give to you folks in your endveor, I will do.

Also if any are out here fishing please give me a shout and we can try and hook up. My boat has a couple ofseats and needs to be used more.

My contacts stuff is listed on the FFF website under board of directors.

Good luck and tight lines.

Irish Dave Duffy

tennswede
11-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks Mr. Duffy. We are going to try and see if we can get this viable. It's worth a try.

Byron Begley
11-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Hans,

I plan to be at the meeting. Thanks to you and Dave Carson for getting this going.

And to Dave Duffey, I can't believe you finally moved out there. I'm happy for you. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Byron

tennswede
11-20-2007, 07:44 PM
Byron!

That would be an honor. I'm already getting excited about our prospects for this club. See ya'll on Tuesday November 27, Earth Fare in Turkey Creek, West Knoxville at 6:30 PM.

UofMontanaAlum
11-22-2007, 02:40 AM
Uof M alumni, I will be watching the Griz take care of the kitties and have tickets to next week playoffs. See you in chatty in December.

07' Big Sky Conference Champs! WOOT!

Have fun at the game! GO GRIZ!!!

Jack Cummings
11-24-2007, 10:23 AM
Folks, I really wanted to make that meeting but my good Doctor squeezed me in for a much needed procedure on that day. To cancel or postpone would set me back weeks if not months.
As the membership chairman for the S/E council of the FFF, I have piles of good information I would be happy to send your way.
You are setting the club up in a good direction from the get-go by considering making it an FFF charter club. The FFF has the groundwork nicely layed out and a nice recipe to get a club going and growing. We followed their guidelines in August of 2006 to get the Carolina Fly Fishing Club www.carolinaflyfishingclub.org (http://www.carolinaflyfishingclub.org/) up and running. We're now over 60 members strong and have a lot of good stuff going on.
Feel free to pick my brain on getting a club going as what we did with the help of the FFF seems to be working out quite nicely.
Best of luck with the club!
It's a little work getting everything started but well worth it when it works

tennswede
11-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Bumping this one for the last time. I'm sorry to hear that you can't make it Jack but health goes above all. You got to take care of yourself before anything else.

ALL WHO HAVE ANY KIND OF INTEREST IN GETTING A FLY FISHING CLUB GOING IN THE KNOXVILLE AREA PLEASE JOIN US. Earth Fare at Turkey Creek on Tuesday Nov 27 at 6:30 PM. This is a start up meeting to see if there's enough interest in starting an official Charter club of The Federation of Fly Fishers. Please join us and spread the word.

Butte Irish
11-27-2007, 12:19 AM
Best of lcuk with tnhe Club. I wish i could be there for this. I do feel as though i am a part of it. It has taken awhile to do it.

Byron,

When are you comming out. I owe you and paula severral rides in a few of these rivers.

Irish Dave Duffy (who is still recovering his lost vioce from saturday's Griz game)

Flyfishjeep
11-27-2007, 03:12 PM
I will make it !!!
Can't wait to see what the buzz is about.

Troutman
11-27-2007, 11:18 PM
Good turnout tonight. Great to meet and discuss the future of the club. Thanks to everyone who got this going again. See ya in a few weeks.

tennswede
11-29-2007, 08:23 PM
Gary!

Thanks for showing up as well as all the others. kudos to all. Anyway, we are in the finalizing stages of getting the 2nd Tuesday in Jan, which is the 8th, to be the first official meeting of the club. Plan on bringing a lot of ideas and contact info because we need everyone's input in getting this going. We are basically looking at discussing on how to proceed for next year or at least get programming until Spring somewhat in the making. I will post here when I hear from Dave next time, and I will try to put a description on how to get to our next meeting. Until then......

ChemEAngler
11-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Hans,
I was unable to make the meeting Tuesday because something came up at home. My question is will the next meeting be for members only and how do I sign up?

Regards,
Travis

smokyfisher
11-30-2007, 07:27 AM
Travis

The all meetings are open to anyone,( for anyone who would like to show up).
You can join up anytime, just let Hans or myself know, and we will get you a form.
If you live in Knox e-mail me and I can meet you somewhere:smile:
ontheflygsm@yahoo.com

Dave

Mike Arnold
12-15-2007, 12:14 AM
Not sure how much room I have here so I'll try to keep it short. I am very interested in your progress in getting an FFF club started in K-ville. I tried several times when I was VP-Membership (startup though 2001) of the FFFSEC with little luck ... a lot of folks thougt TU ruled the roost and they were at odds with FFF. Nothing could be (now or ever) further from the truth but that was the perception. I founded NKFF 20 years ago and we are still going strong. We had 19 folks sign at the first meeting then grew so fast over the next five years we had t move meeting places four times. Of course this was just before and then during the time of "the movie" so everyone was in love with the idea of fly fishing. Things have slacked off over the last five years but there are still plenty of folks who want to learn how to do it. I hope you will consider being a "teaching club" more than a "conservation/ money club". My email is mike_arnold@insightbb.com and I offer any help I can give on how to get things going. I did the same for Derby City Fly Fishers in Lousiville and they formatted a lot of their venue after ours. If I can answer any questions on formation, fund-raising, finding places to meet, getting started teaching classes in flyfishing (NKFF does about six 6-hour FF classes a year (12 students) for county agencies, libraries, community education groups, etc. We also do a Beginners FT class each Feb/Mar a NKU (30-45 students). We'd be more than glad to send you copies of our class guides, etc.

I am currently FFFSEC VP-Education and am working on trying to find a location for a one-day FFF Flyfishing Show in the Knoxville area. That's tough to do from up here in Burlington, KY ... but the FFFSEC BOD asked me and LArry Drake of DCFF to give it a shot. If you'd rather talk than trade emails call me at home at 859-689-4294 evenings after 7PM. :smile:

tennswede
12-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks for your offer. As of now we are going to have a planning meeting Jan 8 at I will announce the details here later. As for our direction, it is not nailed yet but I have some ideas and I'm sure a lot of the others do as well. I think we are going to try to blend in labor for the park and the state as well as teaching and fun. I don't think we are going to be much of a fund raiser at this point but who knows what the future will hold.

Until we are up and running I will hold off on any real public statements regarding our mission since it is not yet established.

Thanks,

Hans

Fishermansfly
12-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Gotta question for ya...I'm hearing alotta chatter regarding FFF moving thier conclave's to McGhee Tyson Airport???? I certainly hope theirs truth to it...Thats at my front door! Can you add any insight?

Han's I have yet to get a definate yes on things but I will add I have talked to a few whom don't see it as a problem...I've got one person to run it by and we should be in the clear on things...I really wanna see this thing work, I'm game for doing what it takes to set this thing on the right foot! The good thing abou this school is there are 2 gymnasiums and 2 large auditoriums....One of the four should always be open!

Brett

tennswede
12-18-2007, 07:27 PM
Byron!

Did you receive my emails? One which contains the info on meeting time and location? I know you are a busy man but let me know when you can.

I will post in this thread also, right after Christmas until then HAVE A WONDERFUL HOLIDAY.

Butte Irish
12-20-2007, 12:32 AM
It is good to see all the activity on the forum on the club. Really good to see Mike offer to help. I am really happy that all of mike's earl;y work and my efforts have gotten this club off the ground. My compliments to all of you. The FFF is a great organization and has given me fishin buddies all over the country.

Guys use mike's advice and ask me for more if you need it. the best way is to teach the fly fisher then he will turn into a conservationist.

Butte irish Dave duffy

Mike Arnold
12-20-2007, 08:19 PM
Brett .. At the last SEC Board Meeting all the board members were asked to try to find a possible new site for the SEC conclaves 2009 and beyond. For years we moved the darn things all around the council from one place or another each year ... losing attendance every time we moved. Then we settled on Callaway for the last few years and other influences reduced the attendance. Our geographical-center has now changed due to Florida and the Gulf Coast clubs going off on their own so we need to re-center the conclave. I think McGee Tyson is a little too far north for that ... the g-c is now right around Chattanooga or maybe a little further south (Dalton or Blueridge areas). Trying to find the right combo of location, accessability, relatively nearby fishing, and minimum accomodations rate is no easy feat. So we're all looking and that may be where you picked up some possible locations info. I haven't received any kind of official notification. Also ... I'm wondering if you migt be hearing something about what I referenced in my initial message ... i.e. we're looking for a location for a one-day flyfishing expo type deal ... in addition to ... the annual conclave. McGee Tyson would probably be great for that with all the K-town FFers. I know there are a lot of flyfishers in and around Knoxville ... plus a lot of other folks who want to learn (which is great for the idea of a new club). If I hear anything concrete I'll shoot it to you all. Keep me in the loop about the new club. Thanks and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

tennswede
12-20-2007, 08:24 PM
Thanks for looking for us. For now we are going to begin at Walker Academy and I'm going to suggest to the club membership that we do one or two meetings in your direction just to have a different venue once in a while. I'm thinking not everyone will drive out west in Knoxville and I won't always drive down Alcoa way, but I believe moving around the meetings a little bit won't hurt. We'll see what the others think.

tennswede
01-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Come join us at 1110 Lovell Rd in West Knoxville. I sent an email to everyone who signed up at Earth Fare back in November. I had about five or so email which I couldn't read, or something else was wrong with them. Please rest assured that we didn't forget anyone or neglected anyone on purpose. Everyone is welcome regardless of previous sign up. The only qualification needed is a willingness to establish a club and agree to the organizations mission. See you all at the meeting. Until then.......

Hans

Gerry Romer
01-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Hans -

I'm assuming the time is still 6:30 as Byron stated previously?

Gerry

tennswede
01-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Yep 6:30 PM it is.

smokyfisher
01-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Gerry

Yes it is at 6:30. Hope to see you there.Gerry was it you that asked about the boy scouts at the last meeting?
Dave

Gerry Romer
01-04-2008, 03:16 PM
No, not me... trying to remember who it might have been.

Gerry

Troutman
01-04-2008, 03:47 PM
It was me Dave. There is a small scout troop in my neighborhood (Seymour) that I have worked with a little to help them with the fly fishing merit badge. I will probably work with them again this spring when we can get out on the lawn for casting practice and to see if they have been practicing their knots.
Sorry , I won't be able to attend this month's meeting, Hans knows why.

tennswede
01-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Sorry to hop in on this but I remember Danny Phillips talking about the merit badges and stuff. I don't know if he will be at the next meeting or not he lives down in Sweetwater/Madisonville/Athens area somewhere.

smokyfisher
01-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Gary

If you could send me some more info on the merit badge, that was one of the things i wanted to talk about at the meeting.

You can e-mail me at ontheflygsm@yahoo.com
Sorry you won't be at the meeting. I hope to get an email letter out to let everyone know what went on at the meeting.