PDA

View Full Version : Upper Greenbriar

tennswede
03-31-2007, 08:52 PM
Well, I am sore, tired and wore out. I had a trip planned with a new friend from this board (Trevor). We began our day with some junk food at the gas station in Richardson Cove and then we went to our destination. We began fishing at 9 am and didn't quit until 5 pm. We climbed rocks, slid down rocks and some of the moves was downright foolish. We had a difficult first four hours. I caught one brookie on a black caddis since that was the best I had to imitate the small black stone's. Around 1pm the action picked up somewhat and we began catching fish more regularly. I caught only one bow today and it was the biggest fish for me today. It was maybe 8 inches if you push it. Trevor caught about 20 or so and I had 23 Brookies and 1 Bow. I found out today again that even when there's no yellow sallies coming off a Yellow Stimulator works anyway.

Water temp was 55 to 52 depending on elevation. Quill Gordons were coming off in the afternoon at this elevation but fish were not taking them. A nice day with a young fellow who made sure that I stayed alert in my old age.

David Knapp
03-31-2007, 08:55 PM
Glad ya'll had a good day!!! I have enjoyed some awesome fishing over there at Greenbriar and am looking forward to fishing it again this summer...

ijsouth
03-31-2007, 10:08 PM
Good report...btw, we finally got some rain down here today - heavy in spots...y'all should be getting some needed precipitation soon.

FFM4LIFE
03-31-2007, 10:24 PM
tennswede,
Did all of the Brookies come to hand with a yellow stimulator?

tennswede
04-01-2007, 09:14 AM
all but the first one which came on a Black Elk Hair Caddis. All came in sizes 12, 14.

ijsouth
04-01-2007, 01:52 PM
I meant to ask this question the other day - how far up do you have to go at Greenbriar to consistently catch brookies? Back in February we checked it out - drove to the end of the road at the trailhead and fished in that huge boulder field. Pretty area, but crowded with hikers that day.

tennswede
04-01-2007, 03:57 PM
ijsouth

pm for details.

ttas67
04-01-2007, 06:29 PM
saturday was great! the first half of our day was a little slower, but we were still caught some fish; the second half however really heated up. Hans is very knowledgable and taught me what I needed to know to be successful with the brookies. I caught my first brookie with a fly of my own design. I thought it might be a fluke, but they kept taking it. I'll wait and see how the other trout react to it before I give it a name.

I have a aquamira water bottle with a built in filter that I take on trips like this. early in the day I opened the cap to fill it up and the filter fell out and into a deep with gushing water. we made many attempts to feel around for it, but it was no use. that filter was plain lost. luckily Hans shared his water stash or I would've dried up.

the place we fished was about as rugged as it gets and I have some scars and bruises to prove it. one time I even slid down a giant rock face on my back, just like a waterslide. hans likes to think he's an old man, but he was the one pulling me over the top of the boulders all day long. it was nice to finally meet you hans, and thanks for a great day of fishing!