PDA

View Full Version : Townsend Easter weekend

Big Bad Wulff
04-03-2007, 09:54 AM
OK I know a cool down is coming. Lows in upper 20's and highs in mid 50's. Anyone have any ideas for strategies to use? Revert back to Winter ideas? Use 'spent' flies?
Terrestrials?

Will fog be a problem in the am/evening?

rainshaker
04-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Mr. Wulff,

I was just about to make the same post. I may make it to Townsend this weekend also and had the same questions. My expertise is limited but I have been in similar situations where the weather changes drastically then most of the "feeding action" stops until the Trout can adjust to cooler water. How quickly air temp affects water temp or how quickly feeding behavior changes with weather is beyond my knowledge base. Lots of variables to consider...

My plan as of now is to see if anything will take a small midge/emerger. If that don't work move to nymphs, if that doesn't work I'll move to soft-hackles or small streamers, if they aren't working, just for fun, I'll throw a few dries maybe a #16 parachute adams. If that doesn't work I'll go to larger nymphs or maybe a stonefly, if those aren't working, I'll move to a dropper rig, if that doesn't work i'll move to the black wooly, San Juan worm, anything white that sparkles, if still nothing I'll go to the crawfish pattern your large foam flies or your spinner bait :D

Big Bad Wulff
04-04-2007, 10:20 AM
My usual first 'fly' is a black wooley bugger and then I experiment from there. Where are you staying? We're gonna be near the campgrounds and will probably fish near there unless the kind folks at the Little Red outfitters let me in on some nice spots.

my plan of attack is:
-black wooley bugger
-white wooley bugger
-tellico nymph
-midges of all sorts
-BWOs

Big Bad Wulff
04-04-2007, 03:13 PM
OK you tight-lipped locals.............what's working? :)

rainshaker
04-04-2007, 04:11 PM
I heard this from a "local"

....egg patterns will be a good option this weekend

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/spencer73/SpringDelivery.jpg