PDA

View Full Version : Best laid plans of mice & men

donwinn
04-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Unbelievable! We plan this trip several months ago and have beautiful weather for three weeks before the trip. Now, I see they are predicting snow for Friday and a low of 22 for Saturday. Unless they have heaters at camp #24, I guess we will have to cancel. I can handle thirties, but low twenties is too much. Is anything going on at the shop this weekend? We might just stay at a cabin and fish in the middle of the day.

Oh woe is me!

David Knapp
04-04-2007, 06:22 PM
You might be in for a surprise...you never know. The lower elevations could fish pretty well while its cold. As Byron mentioned in the fishing report, now the the bugs are hatching they will likely keep on hatching even when it is chilly. Since the water and air temps will be cool to even cold, the bugs will have a harder time taking off from the surface and thus an easier target for fish... You might have some excellent dry fly fishing....

Of course, it could be just awful also....:rolleyes: At least you'll be in the mountains...:cool:

kytroutman
04-04-2007, 07:13 PM
The detriment to mountain streams are the potentials for quick drops in water temperatures due to weather changes. If we get night time temperatures in the 20's and daytimes in the 40's, the water temperature will drop and the fish won't be readily feeding, regardless of the hatches. Hopefully the weather men are wrong and the front will push through quickly.

ttas67
04-04-2007, 07:52 PM
mmm... it sure is a tough decision. I've lived in east tennessee all my life and I can tell you that the weather predictions here are as good as guessing sometimes. I've often seen weather that was the exact opposite of what was predicted. that being said, I can tell you that it's already getting pretty cool out here in knoxville. today was downright chilly. also, this kind of last push of winter happens almost every year. If you could reschedule for a few weeks later, that would be perfect. if not, go ahead and come. as plateau angler says, "you may be surprised!"

WNCFLY
04-05-2007, 08:32 AM
I feel for you donwinn. I am lucky to live in western NC surrounded by trout streams and very close to the park. It never fails when I schedule a trip to the beach and rains all week. I say come up here and enjoy the mountians anyway. A bad day fishing beats a good day doing something else.

Rog 1
04-05-2007, 09:13 AM
I have actually camped at #24 when it was in the 20s.....best thing about that kind of weather is that you probably will have the place to yourself....the bugs are hatching and these fronts this time of year are hard to predict.....that is some pretty water up there and if the temps warm up in the afternoon it could get exciting.....I have had some great fishing even higher than 24 when the morning temps would ice your guides.....

donwinn
04-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks for all your encouragement! We are coming! As some of you said, a couple of days in the mountains sure beats a day at the desk.

One thing I really like about this board is that everyone is generally trying to help. Although, some do get on their high horse sometimes and imply that those of us who have lived in Tennessee or anywhere in the south all there lives would still be bare foot and dumb if they had not imported some class from their northern home. It is good to know that there are still a lot of good people out there.

Green Weenie
04-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks for all your encouragement! We are coming! As some of you said, a couple of days in the mountains sure beats a day at the desk.

One thing I really like about this board is that everyone is generally trying to help. Although, some do get on their high horse sometimes and imply that those of us who have lived in Tennessee or anywhere in the south all there lives would still be bare foot and dumb if they had not imported some class from their northern home. It is good to know that there are still a lot of good people out there.

"Do-whut?"

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/4235/manwithfishpolelj9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I, for one, am proud to be a southern gentleman.....ok, maybe just southern.

Jack M.
04-05-2007, 12:48 PM
"Do-whut?"

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/4235/manwithfishpolelj9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I, for one, am proud to be a southern gentleman.....ok, maybe just southern.

Is that cotton thread tied to a hickory switch?

mtnman2888
04-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Another one here, proud to be born and raised in the south!

Craig

Gerry Romer
04-05-2007, 02:05 PM
See the bobber? That's a dead giveaway!

Gerrry

Green Weenie
04-05-2007, 02:37 PM
'At thar is jus' some ol' strang ah took off'n m'banjo. Ah figgered ah could either play m'banjo, er go a'fishun.

Ah reckon ah'll go a'fishun.

russ
04-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Don't yuns know nothin'. Its horse hair and a hickory switch

Rog 1
04-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Sometimes it is easy to spot the tourists by their LLBean/Orvis appearance...they look like they stepped right out of one of the catalogs into the LR...in the past, if you watched carefully, the true locals were out in their overalls with a 7-8 ft. cane pole highsticking a wet fly through the runs and outfishing everybody....don't see too many of this type around anymore but I learned a lot by just watching them from above while they did their magic.

WNCFLY
04-05-2007, 03:15 PM
My granfather fished these streams before there were rainbows and browns. My father fished these streams before there was a brook trout ban. I hope to fish these streams untill I can not walk anymore. To make a long story short, I love being from these mountians. These yanks that bad mouth us sure do love coming down here to visit, dont you think?

Rog 1
04-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Definition of a "**** yankee" is one that comes to visit and won't go home.