PDA

View Full Version : Come on now, tell me I'm not the only one

adirondack46r
04-06-2007, 09:55 PM
I love hiking up high and taking those feisty wild trout, but I often find myself stopping at one of 4 or 5 spots in town on my way back to Maryville to hook a couple of those fat rainbow stockers. No matter how my day goes in the park I can always count on hooking up with one or two of those TWRA bad boys by swinging a softhackle through a riffle. And to be honest, every now and then that's where I start, and sometimes I have so much fun I don't even make it to the park.

I like to think of myself as a bit more of a purist than that, but to be honest I guess sometimes fun is fun. Is it just me?

ttas67
04-07-2007, 12:50 AM
I don't know, it may just be you. I only fish the park, but now that you mention it, I may just have to find out where in town you're hooking up those fat hogs! if you see somebody in your spot next time, say hello, It may be me.

Green Weenie
04-07-2007, 08:04 AM
I honestly didn't know about these fish. But based on what you've said, I can tell you that you will not be the only one for much longer! (wink)

pmike
04-07-2007, 01:24 PM
...but whenever we get the chance to make it to Helen, GA, I often fish the stockers in town while my girls sleep in and about the time the tuber hatch starts, they are up and either we do something as a family or I go up river beyond the tubers to fish.

The way I figure it is that the stockers start off kind of slow on the uptake like myself so I can shake a bit of the rust working them before getting to any wild fish.

Mike

Troutman
04-07-2007, 03:16 PM
TWRA post the stocking schedule in their Regs magazine for the LR. They dump bucket loads all along the river outside the park. Most of the meat fishermen will thin them out while they are still congregated together, but if they last for several weeks they become more wild. During this time, they will hit just about anything. They can be fun to catch and I've caught my share of them, but I'll take a wild 8-10" brown or bow anyday! Heres one caught recently while fishing for Carp with buggers. Kind of sickly looking fish.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/PICT0304.jpg

adirondack46r
04-07-2007, 06:12 PM
I don't know, it may just be you. I only fish the park, but now that you mention it, I may just have to find out where in town you're hooking up those fat hogs! if you see somebody in your spot next time, say hello, It may be me.

Hey Trevor,

I would be glad to take you to one of the spots - that is if you don't mind being blindfolded to get there. Just kidding. It's alot of fun and there's plenty of room, and strangely enough the tubers don't seem to put the fish down for very long.

Bob

Byron Begley
04-07-2007, 07:05 PM
We had a kid come in the shop a few days ago with a picture of a 25" rainbow he caught here in town. It was his first trout caught on his first cast according to his father. Later he caught another one over 20". They were both released I think. He's ruined. His perception of trout fishing is skewed and so much for paying his dues. But, you should have seen the smile on his face. It was priceless. And, he's hooked. I bet I haven't fished through Townsend in at least five years and I work about .10 miles from the river. Maybe I should. I like catching big ole stockers as well as 6" wild fish. It's all fun.

Byron

RFowler
04-07-2007, 07:25 PM
Just another great facet of flyfishing. Gotta love variety!

ttas67
04-07-2007, 10:23 PM
I fished in town at one of the public access areas once when In first started fly fishing about 4 years ago. I didn't catch anything and just never tried again. I always forget about that area being stocked. I think I'll definitely have to give it a go.

adirondack46r
04-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Seriously, what got me hooked on wild trout was an eight inch brook trout that I caught (in spite of doing everything wrong) from a brook that ran through a farmer's pasture near our hunting cabin in Arcade NY. I was 10 years old. After years of chasing other pursuits, what brought me back to the trout streams was stumbling into a hendrickson hatch on Oatka Creek that turned a pool of 12 - 14" stockers into crazy, reckless fish slashing and slurping at everything that looked like a mayfly.

I remember both days with equal fondness.