PDA

View Full Version : trail closures in cades cove area

sammcdonald
04-09-2007, 04:02 PM
this will begin tuesday......
Park officials plan to close all or a part of four trails which will be clearly marked: Rabbit Creek Trail from Backcountry Campsite 15 east to the Abrams Falls Trailhead at Cades Cove; the Abrams Falls Trail from the falls east to the Abrams Falls Trailhead; Cooper Road Trail from the Hatcher Mountain Trail east to Cades Cove; and Wet Bottom Trail.

The Elijah Oliver Place access road and trail and the Abrams Falls Trailhead parking area also will be closed, according to a statement released today by the park.

The closures are expected to be in place for several days to ensure that any hazards due to hot spots and dead snags can be taken care of prior to allowing hikers back into this area.

David Knapp
04-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Is this due to the prescribed burn I assume?

sammcdonald
04-09-2007, 06:03 PM
yes.....i would have posted the entire release, but it was too large.

Nharrier
04-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Hope it opens soon! Some guys and I are hoping to fish the shoe sometime during the week of April 23. Any update would be appreciated. I've been involved in some Rx burns and many times the weather dictates many changes.

Dancing Bear
04-10-2007, 02:32 PM
If you go to the Look Rock web cam page you can see the smoke from the burn.

russ
04-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Do you have a link to that web cam?

Never mind I found it.

Rog 1
04-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Russ...your princess gets cuter by the day....interesting to watch her grow...when does she get her first flyrod.

Milton
04-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Here's that link. Lots of smoke.

http://www2.nature.nps.gov/air/webcams/parks/grsmcam/grsmcam.cfm

-Milton

ijsouth
04-10-2007, 11:11 PM
I saw the smoke, too...for a minute, I was a bit concerned, but then I remembered this thread and that it was a controlled burn.

The webcams were pretty neat over the weekend - lots of pretty pictures of the snow.