View Full Version : License options

04-16-2007, 04:59 PM

We will be arriving on Sunday 4-23 for a week of fishing, staying in a cabin in Townsend. As much as we would like to buy our licenses at LRO, there is a strong possibility that we will arrive after closing time on Sunday. We will be traveling on 81 South, coming from southeast PA. Looks like we will pass near the towns of Sevierville and Pigeon Forge.

Does anyone know where we could get our licenses at on Sunday night???


04-16-2007, 05:08 PM
You can buy it online from the TWRA web site. It will cost $2-$3 extra for a processing fee, however, it sure beats dealing with the traffic and crowds at Wally World. Lots of gas stations in the area are also licensing agents, however, I couldn't tell you which ones they are.



Paula Begley
04-16-2007, 05:31 PM
The Texaco station at Little River Village Campground and the Exxon station at Townsend Shopping Center sell them also.


04-16-2007, 09:15 PM
I hate to say it, but any walmart in TN. it's funny though, because I'm trying to get back up to southeast PA soon for some fishing....as soon as I can save up enough to buy one of your overpriced licenses. $25 for a one day!

04-16-2007, 09:36 PM
If you are planning on just fishing in the Park....you may want to consider buying a NC license on line. In some cases a NC nonresident license can by less expensive than a TN resident license. Sad but true. Check it out.

04-16-2007, 11:12 PM
I ditto littlerivermike's comment. You can purchase them on line- Remember you don't need a Trout stamp if you fish ONLY IN THE PARK. Drop a line to TWRA and let them know! Maybe they will come back down to earth on the cost. I don't get to fish tailwaters enough to get a Tenn license and Trout permit. I'm not a cheapskate but?? I have had licenses from Wyoming, Montana, Michigan, North Carolina, Maine, New York, New Hampshire,Yellowstone Park Permit, Freshwater and Saltwater Florida along with my Kentucky Resident. I wish these were tax deductable(:>). I do not mind supporting fisheries and improvement projects in other states at reasonble cost but what a jump.

04-17-2007, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the good info. I am looking into a NC license to fish just inside the park. There is a 10 day Inland Waters Fishing and also a 10 day Special Trout. Would I need both of these to fish inside the park?

Thanks again,


04-17-2007, 11:29 AM
no trout stamp required inside the park. just a tn or nc license.

04-17-2007, 11:31 AM
You do not need a special trout license or "trout stamp" from TN or NC to fish anywhere inside the GSMNP. NC nonresident is $10 for 10 days. Outside the Park, like on the Nantahala, you would need to add the NC special trout license.