PDA

View Full Version : Calderwood Lake @ Topoco

OLDBEAU
04-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Has Anyone Tried Calderwood Or Chilhowee Lakes Lately?
A Fishing Friend And I Plan To Put In @ Topoco And Fish Calderwood Next Saturday And Sunday. Sure Looks Like Nice Weather.
We Will Stay At The Topoco Lodge Saturday Night.
Sure Can Use Any Local Knowledge!
Thanking You In Advance.
Old Beau

David Knapp
04-16-2007, 09:00 PM
I can't help you with local knowledge but am looking forward to your report. I've been thinking about dragging my canoe over there for awhile now, just haven't got it done yet.

Tellico Angler
04-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Do not know about Calderwood, but I do know that a friend of mine catches some lake trout trolling on Chilhowee. Don't know how you are going to fish it, but if it is on the fly, stay out in the middle and fish the scum line. Some risers there. Also up from the dam, Abrams creek flows in. You can get an occasional trout at the mouth of it. Hope this helps. Good luck. Oh by the way. You can also fish some of the little coves around there and get a nice smallmouth if that would interest you at all. Sure is fun on the fly!

David Knapp
04-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Tellico Angler, can you provide any further information on catching smallies on the fly in lakes? I've fished for them with convential gear and pounded the banks and structure and did ok. Any flies you could recommend?

OLDBEAU
04-17-2007, 06:52 AM
Thank You.
We Will Fish From My 15' River Hawk Boat. I Am Using A 4hp Johnson.
Trolling F5 And F11 Rapalas Worked Well On The Hiwassee 3 Weeks Ago, But My Friend Landed A 22" Rainbow On A Rooster Tail. Spinner Fishing Most Of The Time... My Catch Included Largemouth,
Smallmouth, Huge Perch, And My Limit Of 12- 16" 'bows. I Will Brief You On Calderwood - Saturday, And Maybe Upper Chilhowee Fishing On Sunday.
Old Beau

Troutman
04-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Tim Doyle guides on Chilhowee lake out of his drifter. You may want to call him for a report. His site is smokymountainfly.com . He is guiding alot right now. Ive ran into him several times over the past few weeks. Don't know if he goes to the other lakes.

mstone
04-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Plateau Angler,
What we have found to work fairly well for smallmouth on top are chartruse popping bugs, about a #6. black feathers, rubberband legs. I think some of these are called sliders or sneaky petes. Found this out by accident some years ago while fishing for bluegills. Seems the best way to fish it is to just let it sit, no movement to speak of.

mstone

Tellico Angler
04-17-2007, 01:13 PM
PA,

I have done well on standard wooly buggers, clousers and zonkers. Seems like the bigger the better. Color, speed and depth you just have to experiment with. The other poster mentioned poppers. I will agree on that and the fact that it seems like no movement is required. I have also used a mouse imitation and done very well. I have taken my drifter to Chilhowee also. Nice trip, but a whole bunch of rowing. I guide on the Tellico and have guided trips on the lower Tellico for bass. Same flies apply there. Caught a nice 3 pound largemouth on 4wt rod last year with the mouse pattern on lower Tellico. Those are great trips! Steve www.tellicoangler.com

Jswitow
04-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Staying at Tapaco you are right beside Calderwood. I hear the mouth of Slickrock is good, as is the current well down stream of the turbines but be careful. Also casting streamers at the banks.

I have fished the trash line on Cheoh for the gulpers as well. On Calderwood in particular take warmer clothes, it tends to stay cold in that cold narrow valley and can fog in a moment.
Look forward to reading your post.
John

OLDBEAU
04-19-2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks John....
I Will Be Looking For A Sand Bar Just Below The Bridge....
More On Sunday Evening....
Old Beau

OLDBEAU
04-25-2007, 07:19 AM
CALDERWOOD UPDATE:
SATURDAY, APRIL 21 - TROLLING THE LAKE WITH RAPALA F5s and F7s in the BROWN TROUT PATTERN PRODUCED 12" - 16" RAINBOWS. MOST OF THE 12 WERE NATIVE TROUT.
SUNDAY, APRIL 22 - AROUND THE DAM PRODUCED SMALL MOUTH, BROWNS, AND RAINBOWS. BEAUTIFUL WEATHER....KAYAKS AND RAFTERS ARRIVED VIA CHEOAH RIVER AROUND 2:00PM......TIME TO HEAD HOME....
WE WILL TRY LAKE CHEOAH IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS...
WELL WORTH THE DRIVE...JUST BE CAREFUL DRIVING THE DRAGON....
OLD BEAU