PDA

View Full Version : Everyone must be fishing

Jack M.
04-18-2007, 04:43 PM
So let's here all about it. What's hatching?

Troutman
04-18-2007, 04:51 PM
Its 4:50 pm right now, ... I'll be throwing #4 bugger streamers in about 20 min. That hatch has served me well lately!!!!

Troutman
04-18-2007, 07:18 PM
Found my river still high and slightly muddy this afternoon. Decided to swing some bigger clousers and deceivers through the eddies and slower water and along the banks out of the main current. The only hookups were with the submerged grasses that kept grabbing the hook. I thought the fish would have adjusted to the tinged water over the past few days and start feeding , but I guess I'll wait till the weekend and float the river to some new areas that haven't seen any fishermen since last fall.

Waterborn
04-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Right now I'm in a middle of a paperwork hatch, and fishing for some clips to contain my catch thats been rising all over my desk :rolleyes:

flyman
04-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Spring turkey season has been having some effect on my fishing time.:)

PeteCz
04-18-2007, 08:45 PM
Fished above and below the institute this afternoon. Two small 'bows landed, a dozen or so missed (including a nice brown). Maybe someday I'll figure out how to set a hook...in something other than a tree...

Not much hatching where I was, but they only seemed interested in a #14 Parachute Adams (tried numerous other sizes and patterns, but the Adams in #14 was the only one they even looked at)

Gerry Romer
04-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Not much hatching where I was, but they only seemed interested in a #14 Parachute Adams (tried numerous other sizes and patterns, but the Adams in #14 was the only one they even looked at)

Same thing at Elkmont. Fished from 4 to 8 above and below the big bend right before the private quarters. One good sized bow -- 9" or so -- and a bunch of small fry -- under 5". They all hit on a 14 parachute Adams except for two small fry that slammed a BHPT dropper. Slammed may not be the right word for small fry but after all the action on the Adams dry they kinda took me by surprise - of course, that may have something to do with the fact that I never do well with droppers:rolleyes:

Gerry

tennswede
04-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Are you available on Sunday for some rod bending at Big Bend on the mighty HI?
see my post in the other forum.

TFnut
04-19-2007, 11:16 PM
I have fished the afternoons since Tuesday with a friend and we have caught about 6 between the two of us, but we have missed several more. I'm fairly new to this, so I consider these a success. I'm confident that if you can catch trout in these waters, you can catch them anywhere.

I caught mine on a March Brown Flymph and a little partridge soft hackle that I tied, which basically has hares ear dubbing for the body ribbed with gold tinsel and orange antron thorax. (My first trout on a fly I tied!) When they hit this fly, it is not subtle!! Missed several small fry on a parachute Adams (hi-vis). My buddy caught a good sized bow on a Montana stone fly nymph of all things. He also caught some with the softhackle that I tied.

Hatches were sporadic, yellow stoneflys, March browns and very small black caddis (probably size 20 or 22).

All in all, three great afternoons fishing. I love these mountains and streams!!!! We are going to fish Little Pigeon and Oconaluftee on the way out tomorrow morning.

Barbara
04-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Got here yesterday & fished 1 1/2 hrs below Tremont until dusk. It rained lightly the whole time. Got 2 rainbow and missed several. They hit a BHPT dropper behind a parachute adams. Lots of action for such a short time.

Today I will try the soft hackles that Paula recommended yesterday. Will Paula's picks succeed???? Tune in tonight.

ijsouth
04-20-2007, 05:45 PM
Hope everything this weekend is as good as advertised...will be on the road up there in about 3 hours.

Barbara
04-20-2007, 10:23 PM
A very good day. Started at Medcalf Bottoms, then Elkmont then Tremont. I think the water at Elkmont was a bit too cold. Tremont was warmer with lots of things hatching but the trout were not active on top of the water.

Ended up with 2 browns and lost count of the rainbow. The largest brown was on Paula's soft hackle, the orange colored one. Good advice Paula!

My non-fishing husband got bored and wanted to go hiking so we went up Anthony Creek Trail. I caught 2 rainbow in a couple of the pools up there.