PDA

View Full Version : caney fork and al gore sr.

moflyer3
04-19-2007, 01:13 PM
i recall reading a story about a couple of fly fisherman that were disoriented while fishing on what i believe was the Caney Fork. In any case, they ended up walking up the bank to a house that turned out to be that of Al Gore Sr. and his wife who very hospitable to them. I would love to track down that story again. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Flat Fly n
04-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Oh wait, he never lived in TN!

HA!

Flat Fly'n

Realtyman
04-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Your mistaken Al Gore Sr. did live in TN. Its Junior that's from Washington D.C. Always has been and always will be. He didn't even carry his home state if that tells you anything!

doghaircaddis
04-19-2007, 01:49 PM
I believe that was a story told by Byron in one of his fishing reports. You may want to send him an IM.

Paula Begley
04-19-2007, 02:12 PM
That story was told by Byron.

Paula

moflyer3
04-19-2007, 02:51 PM
Paula, do you have any idea how I can pull up that report??

moflyer3
04-19-2007, 02:54 PM
great idea... whats an IM?

=)

doghaircaddis
04-19-2007, 09:08 PM
great idea... whats an IM?

=)

I meant to say PM (private message).

Flat Fly n
04-19-2007, 09:48 PM
I know. Jr. didn't live in TN. That's why I asked in the title.......Did they see Junior?

Maybe it was all the air and water pollution in this state (while he was senator) that made him want to live in Washington. I also personally liked the way he now calls and called himself the environmental VP. Remember all those years the Pigeon was seriously polluted UNTIL he anounced he was running for office.......then he started pushing Champion to do something about the discharge.

PS...Thank goodness for junior or we wouldn't be chatting over the internet about fishing!

Realtyman
04-19-2007, 09:59 PM
Yeah, A friend of mine ran a great little sporting goods store in So. Carthage for years up untill the election. See Junior owned the building and my buddy just rented it. Come election time my buddy gets the boot because he sold firearms and Junior didn't want his name tied to anything like that. Wonder why he took the rent payments for all those years if he was so against it?

moflyer3
04-19-2007, 10:38 PM
just looking for the story i read before folks, thats all. Many fine things about your state. I personally rank knowing that the Gores had a place along the Caney as one of them. Ive admired that river from my truck window on my way to the Smokys on many occasion. Hope to be able to fish it some day.

Realtyman
04-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Sorry about hi-jacking the thread. Good luck on your quest!

Flat Fly n
04-20-2007, 06:27 AM
Dittos on the hijacking, but those of us directly envolved in healthcare have a knee jerk reaction everytime we hear the name Al Jr. Why with the TNCare program he saddled the state with that has driven out countless physicians and bankrupted the state, Al Jr. deserves all the ridicule one can come up with.

Good luck on finding your story. I am sure Al Sr. and the wife were very nice.

Paula Begley
04-20-2007, 07:24 AM
Currently Byron does not keep the fishing reports archived on the computer beyond the prior 5 days. We do have notebooks of the old fishing reports, though.

Paula

moflyer3
04-20-2007, 08:05 AM
Any chance that he can recall the source of that fine story?

Paula Begley
04-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Yeah...he was one of the fishermen! :)

Give him a call or private message him, I am sure he will share it again.

Paula

Byron Begley
04-20-2007, 01:00 PM
I told this story in a fishing report sometime last year. I've got copies but it would be quicker to write it again.

At least twenty years ago four of us were floating the lower section of the Caney Fork in canoes. We had never floated that section before. I think we started in Gordonsville and we meant to take out upstream from Carthage. I can't even remember who was there but one of the guys is a professor at MTSU. He came in the store last year and we laughed about this story but I can't remember his name.

Well, we missed our takeout somehow where we had a truck parked for the shuttle. We ended up on a beautiful farm. We walked around the farm and decided our truck was down the road about a mile. We found the home so the professor and I walked up to ask for permission to drive through the fields to get our canoes. We knocked on the door. By then we realized who lived there. I remember a sign that read Gore Farms or something like that. Senator Gore Sr. answered the door and we described our dilemma. He was gracious and invited us in. Mrs. Gore came in the room and talked to us and offered some refreshments. They really were nice people. Senator Gore told us how to get through the fields with our truck and wished us a good day. As we were walking out the door he pointed to another house which I remember was closer to the river. "That's my son Al's house", he said. "He's going to run for President of the United States". We walked to the truck, drove through the fields of this beautiful cattle farm and picked up our boats and buddies. It was a great fishing trip that ended well. I've never met Al Gore but if he is anything like his parents, I like him. He currently lives in the Belle Meade area of Nashville with his wife Tipper.

Byron

moflyer3
04-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Byron,

Thanks for posting. A great story. I recall reading somewhere that Al Sr. and George Sr. used to get on pretty well. Small world i guess.

jrose
04-26-2007, 02:35 AM
Al Jr. Why with the TNCare program he saddled the state with that has driven out countless physicians and bankrupted the state, Al Jr. deserves all the ridicule one can come up with.

It's not really pertinent to the thread, but just for the record, TennCare is a state program that was instituted in 1994 when Don Sundquist was governor. And the state, at the moment, under Phil Bredesen's stewardship is running a surplus.

I'm not sure that Al, Jr can be credited or blamed for either, since he was VP at the time and he's ... well, Oscar-winning, former VP at the moment.

Nice story, though, Byron.

Jack

Stonefly
04-26-2007, 08:58 AM
Tyrone -

I remember you telling me that story 20 yrs ago as we were floating down the Caney near where it happened. In fact, I repeated the story last week on the White River to the guys I was fishing with, before I saw it on the forum here. Is that not a coincidence?! ;)

sb

Flat Fly n
04-26-2007, 09:08 AM
I guess for the record I do not care to discuss this after this post. I just wanted to set the record straight as to when I post I try to be as truthful and accurate as possible. And I would have PM'd but then how do you clear your name as someone who posted incorrectly. I am neither Repubican or Democrat, but a lowly conservative independent...so I tend to fish nymphs without droppers, and use very few hackles anymore, choosing low profile patterns such as X-caddis and synthetic materials.HA!

I live this disaster everyday. For instance.. #1: a TennCare pt. pays more for a half dozen wooly buggers (lets not even talk about cigarettes) than the physician is reimbursed for inserting an epidural (into someone's spinal cord, between two vertebrae)during labor and delivery...FACT. #2 a foreinger visiting a relative here in this state can apply and get TNCare and have open heart surgery done in this state....FACT seen it happen

So for the record. Remember when Clinton took over and Hillary was going to change healthcare with her plans that miserably failed? Think about it, you had the Clintons and Arkansas, Gore and TN. The Arkansas gov. was in his first term, and the fat Oreo eating McWherter was in is last term and headed out the door, and the rest his history.

HOW WE GOT WHERE WE ARE WITH TENNCARE (excerpt for State Rep. Frank Buck-TN)

Governor McWherter in his last year of office in 1994 went to Washington and met with the Secretary of Health to suggest an experimental waiver of the Medicaid Rules to see if Tennessee could create a new type of medical program that would use Federal Medicaid (tax dollars) to fund TennCare. Citizens who were uninsurable could join and pay a premium if they could prove private health insurance companies would not insure them. Medicare is funded out of Social Security Taxes, Medicaid is funded out of tax dollars. The negotiations were successful and Tennessee had to pay about one-third (1/3) of the cost with the feds paying two-thirds (2/3). This was a waiver of the Federal Medicaid Rules. No Tennessee legislative action was required as McWherter put the plan in place by an Executive Order. The only legislative action involved was to fund our one-third (1/3) contribution thru the state budget every year.

Flat Fly'n
promising NEVER again to post a political jab on this website

Paula Begley
04-26-2007, 09:39 AM
Do not make me have to lock this thread - or remove it. I am not kidding.

Paula

Byron Begley
04-26-2007, 03:42 PM
I can't believe it. This weekend the guy who walked up to Al Gore Sr.'s house with me some 20 years ago came in the store. His name is Reubin Kyle a now retired professor from MTSU. He couldn't remember who was in the canoe with me but Glenn Lane was in the canoe with him. Steve, you know both of these guys.

Small world.

Byron

moflyer3
05-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Byron, what a great follow-up to the story. Thanks for posting it. I wish i could have been there as well.. The way you told it initially made it seem like i was.

It seems that the older i get i learn to appreciate others take on things. People usually have strong feelings about things because they are affected by them on a very personal level. Cant say Ive ever met too many conservative independents but Id be honored to share my fly box with one.

TNGlen
05-01-2007, 03:07 PM
moflyer3, I too consider myself a conservative independent and Paula, I will personally spank Flat Fly'n for you.

P.S. too bad jr. didn't turn out to be nice as Sr........OOPS! Sorry!

Paula Begley
05-01-2007, 04:20 PM
moflyer3, I too consider myself a conservative independent and Paula, I will personally spank Flat Fly'n for you.

P.S. too bad jr. didn't turn out to be nice as Sr........OOPS! Sorry!

HA HA.

My comment was not reserved strictly for Flat Fly'n. :smile:

Paula