PDA

View Full Version : Float trip.

Aaron871
04-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Are there any good rivers to float for trout?

I have always wanted to do a 2 day, fly fishing, float trip.

http://tellico.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/1409371-HPIM0317.JPG

Any suggestions?

Troutman
04-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Watauga and South Holston. You can camp on the Watauga at river ridge campground. I would recommend a guided trip before attempting it yourself.
I-40 west to Asheville, I-26N to Johnson City then N to Elizabethton, TN

RFowler
04-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Not in that unless it's low water.

Flat Fly n
04-19-2007, 09:52 PM
RFowler,
What about the Nolichucky River? Think he could do that river in that thing, as long as he picks a couple of days that they are not predicting big rains?

Flat Fly'n

ttas67
04-19-2007, 10:19 PM
boy, that red old town brings back some memories. a few years ago I took one exactly like that to the everglades. I almost died in that canoe. I didn't have a fly rod with me then, but if you want a real adventure, take that bad boy down to the everglades NP and do a week long canoe/fishing trip. it's like a totally different universe down there. it is without a doubt the harshest environment I've ever been in. my face was so burned that my skin had cracked open and I had pus coming out of my cheeks. loved every minute of it.

RFowler
04-20-2007, 11:43 AM
I just think a canoe is a poor choice for a flyfishing trip on moving water. About the only place I would take a canoe in East Tennessee is the Clinch on low water. If they're used to access wadable water then they can be great.

I've seen people roll canoe's on high water before, it aint a pretty site. They end up losing everything.

Aaron871
04-20-2007, 12:34 PM
I just think a canoe is a poor choice for a flyfishing trip on moving water. About the only place I would take a canoe in East Tennessee is the Clinch on low water. If they're used to access wadable water then they can be great.

I've seen people roll canoe's on high water before, it aint a pretty site. They end up losing everything.

Hey it's that or the Jeep..... lol

http://jeepgod.net/graphics/trips/2003/Windrock%20046.jpg

Well..... maybe the truck.....

http://home.insightbb.com/~jbtater/aaron/DSC00563.jpg

It would be easier to cast from the Jeep I think...

kytroutman
04-20-2007, 12:49 PM
Rusty's right and the risk of losing everything, including your life isn't worth it. A canoe is not practical on those waters, especially if the speed of the current shifts any at all.

Aaron871
04-20-2007, 12:55 PM
Rusty's right and the risk of losing everything, including your life isn't worth it. A canoe is not practical on those waters, especially if the speed of the current shifts any at all.

That's kinda what I thought, anything with trout is too fast for a canoe.

Troutman
04-20-2007, 01:05 PM
I should have clarified that the canoe should only be used on low water for those rivers. I have an IK made for WW but I would not try to fish out of it on high water. Low water is fine and you can float and wade fish when you want.
You can float the Hiwassee but stop and wade fish along the route rather than trying to anchor in the current. That would be dangerous.

Aaron871
04-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Right, we rarely fish from the canoe. It's more of a tool to get to the fishing spots that we don't want to hike to.
Everything gets strapped down and tied in before the rapids. That canoe hs seen class IV 's full of fishing gear..... done it, wont do it again.

I have anchored in fast water before too, I know what happens...:eek:

Jswitow
04-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Is that canoe full of air bladders for white water or is that gear?
Anyway I would agree (have similar madriver myself) I would paddle to the riffles, beach it and wade fish the riffles and tailouts. It will work fine for that. Throw a hundred pounds of rock in the bottom and it will be much more stable. I have gotten mine sideways and stuck in pretty strong current before and not come close to turning it over, though I hope I don't screw up that bad again! I don't fish from it though in moving water.
Best,
John

Jswitow
04-20-2007, 01:28 PM
LRO sells some great tie-downs for rods for canoes, made by Chota.
Best,
John

Aaron871
04-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Those are air bladders, it set's up for one man or two......