PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate

donwinn
04-19-2007, 05:08 PM
What is your ultimate rod to use on Smoky streams?

Weight?

Length?

Brand?

Jswitow
04-19-2007, 05:33 PM
Don,
I am guessing you mean if I only had one to cover it all......

Weight: 4 wt.
Length: 8'-0", 4 piece.
Brand: Scott G

Qualification: I fish qute a few rods in the Smokies though, depends on the stream and the water levels. Of course my wife puts some limitations on the arsenal.......
Best,
John

RFowler
04-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Any slow 10ft rod or a cane pole.

scflyfisher
04-19-2007, 05:51 PM
On the East Prong of Little River I always use my 8'3'' 5 wt just in case I hook up with a big fish.

Sage VPS 7'9'' 3wt for everywhere else in the park and western N.C. for me. This is w/out a doubt my favorite rod. Just my 2 cents.

Matt

Waterborn
04-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Any slow 10ft rod or a cane pole.

cane pole, corn pipe, felt hat, coveralls...oh yeah, one of them thar sippn' jugs... ;D

lauxier
04-19-2007, 11:48 PM
3wt 8'3' winston lt--3 wt scott fiberglass 7'0"--Babb cane 7'6" 5wt--these rods will do well for you--the scott is cheapest--then the winston-walter's rod will cost the most ,a cane rod is hand-made,it is hands-on proof of the articulate nature that drives some fisherman to build fly rods that are beautiul and functional----

SupaFly
04-20-2007, 01:49 AM
I still love my Sage 3wt. 7'9" Light Line series. I fish it with a DT line. I also usually pack a 9" 5wt. (Thomas & Thomas Vector) if I think I will be solely nymphing pocket water. The T&T casts great, but I have had problems with poor workmanship/quality with the snake guides of at least 3 of my T&T's.

I don't think I will ever part with my 379LL.

WNCFLY
04-20-2007, 08:03 AM
Orvis superfine, 7ft 6", 4wt. Best feeling rod I have ever used.

Jack M.
04-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Doesn't anyone use inexpensive rods? I'll be using my hand-made $25 generic blank 9 foot 3 weight. And maybe my hand-made $25 generic blank 9 foot 5 weight if it's windy or high water. Perhaps on the smallest of streams, I will pull out my refurbished, modified 6 foot 3 weight bamboo banty rod, lovingly modified from a three-piece 9ft production rod (purchase for about $45 dollars on eBay) by removing the butt section and remounting the grip and seat and re-wrapping the guides and tip-top.

Jswitow
04-20-2007, 01:54 PM
You know the rod really has little to do with fish catching, it is a personal thing. I like my rods, don't hunt, so don't have dogs or guns or bass boats to drop money on. I like my rods....... and most of them have made a trip back to the factory for one reason or another, no charge.
You know if I had only one rod to fish in the smokys it would be an 8' 4wt, fairly fast, maybe with a SA GPX or DT line. For a number of years I fished a reddington that filled that bill.
Best,
John

SupaFly
04-20-2007, 10:04 PM
I hear ya John. I'm not married, don't have any kids, and I like my rods and reels. I have to admit that I started fly fishing with a Shakespeare fiberglass rod and plastic reel combo from K-Mart. I went to the Hiwassee river with that outfit and some sorry looking flies and caught fish. Oh yeah, I am almost positive that sweet combo came with a floating LEVEL line. Go figure!

FRW
04-20-2007, 11:44 PM
Previous years would be Orvis 4wt., full-flex, 7ft with an Orvis BA reel. This year I will be bringing my new 7.5ft, 4 wt bamboo I bought last Fall. Loved it in Mich., looking forward to trying it out in a couple of weeks on my annual Spring trip to Townsend.

Plunker
04-21-2007, 06:02 PM
Temple Fork Outfitters Pro 7'6 3wt uplined to 4wt DT.

More fun than my Orvis frequent Flyer 5wt ( and I love it too!)

Backwards Evolution
04-24-2007, 07:17 AM
I have always enjoyed fishing a light rod. My first rod was a 6-7 Wt I got from my grandfather when i was a kid... and this just seemed a bit much for panfishing. I saved up my money and bought my second rod, a Cortland graphite 3 Wt. 7' long. This was a gem. I caught everything that swam with in 15 miles of my house.

When I started trout fishing, I used this rod. But I was always thinking for 5-8" mountain trout was there something lighter? So I bought myself the lightest at the time: the Sage TXL 00 wt. blank and made the rod for my birthday. It has proved to be an amazing tool for everyday fishing around here. With practice, it rewards you. Challenging yes, windy days can be a little of an eye opener... but you just change tactics. This is a stealth rod. I can cast to rising fish and they never know it.

Not for everyone... but if you get a chance to meet me on the river; ask and I'll let anyone wet a fly with it... truly a joy to fish.

I own many rods, and this is the one I took to Montana. This is the rod my girlfriend always wants. She fishes a Trident TLS 1 Wt. She wants me to buy the new TXL 000 Wt. Blank and make a brookie rod so she can inherit the 00 Wt. It is just so smooth and easy to fish. And each little mountain trout is a joy.

Oh, and 18" rainbows on the tailwaters are no problem either... just use some side pressure and get them out of the swift stuff. They are in the net in short order. Otherwise, just let them have the fly.

All in all; fish what you enjoy.:smile: