PDA

View Full Version : Byron

tennswede
04-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Byron, If you don't mind me asking, can you shine some light on what you call Sulphurs? Do you refer to E. Dorothea (Little Sulphur size 18) or do you mean the E. Subvaria (Large Sulphur size 16) ?. I was also wondering if anyone have seen any Light Cahill S. Canadense (size 14) yet?

I'm also curios to hear if anyone have heard of a Sulphur been referred to as a Light Hendrickson? I'm trying to get this confusion settled.

On a third note: Is the Hendrickson hathces over yet? and here I am talking about the regular Hendrickson a size 14 fly with three tails.

Any info kindly appreciated.

Byron Begley
04-21-2007, 05:32 PM
Hans,

I'm referring to light colored mayflies. I don't know any latin names of insects. Some friends of mine fished last night at Metcalf Bottoms. Most of what they saw were larger sizes. I'd just use a Light Cahill fly or emerger. I haven't heard anything lately about Hendricksons. But, not many people have been fishing up high so they still could be hatching up there, I don't know.

Byron

tennswede
04-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Thanks Byron. I'm not trying to be intellectual it's just that I have found entomology (sp?) to be very interesting. It sounds like the insects you are talking about are what most people call Sulphurs. They are a size 16 three tails and unmarked wings. The smaller Sulphur is a size 18 otherwise not much difference. The smaller insect usually hatch a couple of weeks later than the larger ones.

I'll get off of my soap box now

Thanks

Kytroutbum
04-21-2007, 10:05 PM
I've been fishing a sulfur spinner fall the past few early Junes. It is usually mixed in with Yellow Sally stoneflies at dusk. The flies are a size #14, with an orangish yellow cast, more more yellowish than a cahill. Even though the flies are a #14, I find a #12 parachute is a killer.
Isn't a Lt. Cahill more off white than yellow???

The Lt. Hendrickson have a grayish red cast?? The Biots I tie with are a reddish brown, and a rusty spinner works well during their evening spinner fall.

eastprong
04-22-2007, 08:02 AM
The sulphurs we saw on the Little River the last 2 nights (sparse last night, moderate Friday night) were either Ephemerella Rotunda or Invaria. They are a #14-16 with three tails, light dun wings and tails and pale yellow, slightly brown bodies. The later Dorotheas are a #16-18 and the bodies are much brighter yellow. The spinners of Rotunda/Invaria have the orangery/brown bodies. We'll probably start seeing them late next week.

--Rich

Byron Begley
04-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks Rich,

Maybe I need to take our Aquatic Entomology Class.

Byron

eastprong
04-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Good heavens no! Your advice was right on target -- the important thing as you said is that there are two different types of sulphurs (large/dull bodied, small/bright bodied). That's all one really needs to know. The Latin is just window dressing.

I do think that paying attention to the bugs adds another dimension to the sport. Not that it's truly necessary from a fishing standpoint.

--Rich

tennswede
04-22-2007, 06:44 PM
Thanks Rich!

tennswede
04-22-2007, 06:46 PM
KYTroutbum!

Thanks, it seems like a lot of people are not aware of the fact how similar the Lt Hendrickson imitation is to various sulphur patterns.

eastprong
04-22-2007, 07:33 PM
The fact is that a well timed cast of a Light Hendrickson will be pretty effective as a large sulphur imitation for the Smokies. Personally, I have never seen a Hendrickson in the Smokies -- could someone point me to a stream and approximate emergence date? (I suspect they might be on the Cove portion of Abrams, which I don't fish much.)

I grew up fishing Hendricksons in NYS and if you saw them on the water you'd say "those suckers are gray". When you see the large sulphurs on the Little River you say "those suckers are creamy/dull yellow."

--Rich

Kytroutbum
04-22-2007, 08:14 PM
I've seen some good Hendrickson spinner falls on the Middle Prong of Little Pigeon the First Week of April- My spring break when I was working. They were very heavy at times.As far as the cove area, I also have seen some on Abrams upstream from the Falls trail parking lot, moderately heavy.

tennswede
04-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Okay, Are we talking Light Hendrickson or Hendrickson? Hendrickson is the grayish early hatch in march, april. Light Hendrickson is a month later and is more of a Sulphur. I really would like to find some references to these differences since they are not the same insect, and they are at least a month apart in time. I guess I have to do some research. Too tired tonight, have to go to bed after a long day on Hiwassee.

czkid
04-22-2007, 08:50 PM
We fished the area from Wed thru Sunday, and one of the things that we found crazy was that the fish tended to ignore any of the "yellow" dry flies regardless of size, and nail either emergers or better yet soft hackle flies. For the last three evenings at Metcalf Bottom, if a fish showed itself feeding; a partridge and orange, or partridge and green nailed that fish. The other flies seemed to be a waste of time... I hand a gentleman from B'ham floating a yellow hendrixson next to me... he'd cover the rise with no luck... and I'd nail the fish on one or two passes with the soft hackle... go figure.

Ralph

appalachian angler
04-22-2007, 11:01 PM
Happy B-Day Ralph BTW! I wish I could have got up there for the cane gathering but alas my crazy work schedule had me tyed up again this year. I too have found the soft hackle to be the most effective means to nail trout during the supher emergence on not just the mountain streams but on the tailwaters as well. I Like the partridge and orange or a partridge and yellow tied with orange thread (underbody) a yellow wood duck tail (fairly sparse), a copper rib over yellow floss body. Alittle dubbing ball of mixed rabbit hair in hare's ear, rust and yellow, and then 2 turns of Partridge hackle tyed light on a Mustad 3906 sz 12. This has been my best sulpher incarnation yet! Swing 'em baby!

AA