PDA

View Full Version : Back country Flies?

pmike
04-24-2007, 05:44 PM
If you planned a back country trip to Hazel or Noland Creeks, what flies would you take? In other words being in a remote place, on foot for several days and unable to make a quick drive to the fly shop, what flies or patterns and what sizes would you be sure to take in?

My best guess is that this trip would most likely be in May, or perhaps in September. Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Mike

tennswede
04-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Yellow Stimulator's in sizes 12, 14, 16.

enough said.

Flat Fly n
04-24-2007, 07:36 PM
Charteuse or Yellow X-caddis #14 go along with those Stimy's

Flat Fly'n

mtnman2888
04-24-2007, 07:52 PM
I'll double the vote for stimulators, they are way too versatile a fly to leave at home. Also, gotta go for the smbsh that hugh hartsell ties. From about now until thanksgiving, that fly is untouchable and stays connected to my line in one way, shape, or form.

Craig

David Knapp
04-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Tellicos...

Waterborn
04-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Something light colored (yellows always good) and bushy for the dry - elk hair caddis-like and dropp off a green weenie - or maybe small bh pheasant tail...

pmike
04-25-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm still in the dreaming stage of this venture, but am slowly shifting toward planning. I figure I'm not getting any younger and hope to make this trip soon.

I appreciate all the input and suggestions!

God Bless,
Mike

DryFly1
04-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Hey pmike,

Sounds like a great plan in the making. I like all suggesions thus far. Don't be afraid to toss a few #10's into the dry fly box! I have always had great success with bigger flies.

You don't hear much about them on the board ,but I carry a few terresterials with me and things can get pretty exciting when they are working! I carry a few chernobyl ants, hoppers and beetles. Good luck and let us know how it goes?

Mark.....

Rog 1
04-25-2007, 04:39 PM
The one adage that runs through all these threads the later in the year we progress is yellow, yellow and more yellow....yellow EHC #12-16.....have spent a week in the backcountry without ever using anything else....also like to have a couple of lime trudes.....and will also second the terrestrials....can sometimes bring some of the most vicious hits of the trip....good luck.

TroutDude
04-25-2007, 05:12 PM
I totally agree with everything posted so far.
Yellow Stimulator 12-16
EHC 14-18
Parachute Adams 14-20
Black Beetle 16-18
Flashback PT 16-20
Red Copper John 18
one larger nymph like a tellico or hares ear in a 10 or 12

that would be my basic box... good luck on your trip. I personally just got back from a couple days on Noland and Deep Creek

Dude

MtnMike
04-26-2007, 08:58 AM
Hey Pmike,
I am planning to fish Forney Creek next week (unless the weather causes me to reconsider streams). My flies of choice for most smoky mountain streams
dries
Orange & Yellow Stimulators 14-16
Parachute Adams 14-16
Mr. Rapidan 16
nymphs
Hares Ear, Tellico, Prince 12-14
always carry a few soft hackle wet flies 14-16
and later in the year ants work real well
I usually take most of my fly boxes so if I need some small stuff I will have it.
However, the flies listed above are the flies I count on in the smokys.

Baldeagle
04-26-2007, 06:40 PM
I am surprised that one fly has not appeared on any of the lists and that is the Thunderhead. I have had great luck in the Smokies in sizes #14 & #16. I have found that it works best the further up in the mountains you hike. It floats nice and high on the fast water and I tie the calf tail wings long enough so I can see them with my old eyes.