PDA

View Full Version : Couple Nice Ones

David Knapp
04-25-2007, 01:41 PM
I fished the Hiwassee for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon and got into a couple better than average fish. Both fish came on a brown hackle peacock softhackle. In addition to the softhackle, small red copper johns continue to do well. The traditional wetfly swing was deadly yesterday in the faster water. I broke off a good brown and caught several smaller fish. These two fish were caught on a dead drift...

http://photo.ringo.com/207/207677741O347379367.jpg

http://photo.ringo.com/207/207677742O714709636.jpg

DryFly1
04-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Sweet! Nice looking fish. That St Croix(at least that's what it looks like) is a fish catcher!! Water looks great..

Mark...

DryFly1
04-25-2007, 01:53 PM
Hey PA,

Any bug activity on the water?

Mark...

kjctown
04-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Nice Fish!!!

David Knapp
04-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Mark,

I was really surprised but there was minimal insect activity. It was raining during the middle part of the day and I had hoped it would bring the mayflies out. However, the sun came back out later and slowed the insect activity. Saw a few caddis and some midges and that is about it. Evening caddis should be good although I didn't have time to stay and find out... There were quite a few small (#18ish) dun caddis on and around the bushes on shore in a few places.

Leinart
04-25-2007, 03:58 PM
Congratulations!!
dan

mmorgan135
04-25-2007, 04:33 PM
nice fish. was TVA pulsing all day or was the water completely off? And did those fish come out of the trophy section or above Big Bend?

David Knapp
04-25-2007, 04:45 PM
Water was pulsing and all fish were caught above Big Bend... There are some very good fish in the river right now. The hard part is finding them out feeding. I have seen huge browns feeding this spring along with the more "normal" 18-20 inch large fish.

mmorgan135
04-25-2007, 05:31 PM
Are you noticing that you are catching more fish when the water is off or when there is a generator running or as the water is rising or falling. My favorite time to fish the HI is with one generator going. I seem to catch less fish when the water is completely off.

Water was pulsing and all fish were caught above Big Bend... There are some very good fish in the river right now. The hard part is finding them out feeding. I have seen huge browns feeding this spring along with the more "normal" 18-20 inch large fish.

David Knapp
04-25-2007, 05:50 PM
That is a very good question. I've been doing equally well during the pulse as when it is at low water... A change of tactics is need though. On the days that produce good hatches (usually cloudy, preferably cool with rain or at least drizzle), the afternoon pulse has seemd to trigger the hatch. The bugs start coming off in earnest as the water falls out after the pulse and continues for an hour or so after the water has dropped all the way out.

During the pulse, the best method has been swinging wet flies. On low water, it is getting warm enough that the fish are starting to stay in the faster water, pockets, etc when the water is off. For the picky risers in flat water, lately they have been taking subsurface flies just fine (dry with dropper...). I will work through the slow flatwater stretches slowly and whenever I see a rise, I will make a quick cast above it if possible. The fish have been very partial to red copper johns but bhpts will also pick up plenty of these fish. These flies should stay small, #16-#18 and fish them 18-24 inches below a dry or small indicator.

Stripping or dead drifting streamers has consistently picked up a few fish as well.

mmorgan135
04-25-2007, 07:16 PM
I think I might be heading home to Cleveland for the weekend, so I hopefully will be able to make it up there Saturday or Sunday. I have been wanting to make a trip down the trohy section by parking one car at Big Bend and the other at Childers Creek and walking the John Muir trail out. I just was wondering if you seemed to be catching more fish close to the powerhouse. Hopefully the weather will hold out over the weekend. But thanks for the update. It seems that living up here in Knoxville has made me miss the HI quite a bit.