PDA

View Full Version : Advice?

Kevin_Thomas
04-26-2007, 09:58 PM
I started fly fishing one year ago. I must admit it seems like a dog year because I got the bug bad and have fished a ton since then. I only live 30 minutes from the park, so I get to fish a lot. I have also been fortunate to become very good friends with some very good anglers. Needless to say my learning curve was helped a lot by these guys. Now to my question... I want to learn insects. What is the best way to learn the bugs of east TN? Thanks in advance for your help!

Kevin

ijsouth
04-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Wow....sounds just like me - I caught this disease back in August. Unfortunately, I can't get my "fix" as often as I would like, given where I live.

I have the little booklet from Orvis - "Trout Stream Insects". That helps a little, but I have to admit it's hard to transfer that knowledge to the stream when you're out there. To make matters even more confusing, this Spring has been so strange there are several different ones hatching at once. I saw mostly small, dull-colored mayflies - they may have been blue quills. I also saw some creamy, almost a pale chartreuse flies that were larger - they may have been sulfurs. Up in Virginia I may have seen some Quill Gordons - it's still early Spring up there. I think I also saw some yellow stoneflies. I qualify all this because I'm just learning about this myself. What was interesting to me is, I fished three different streams over the course of 5 days (Cosby Creek, Tremont/Lynn Camp, and the Rapidan River in Virginia). I saw a few rises on natural insects on the Rapidan, but none on either Cosby or Lynn Camp. I caught numerous brookies on dries on both Cosby and Rapidan, but I only had one teeny bump on a dry on Lynn Camp - I finally managed to catch 2 small rainbows there on prince nymphs.

ttas67
04-26-2007, 11:00 PM
I believe LRO has an entomology class. should be good.

DryFly1
04-26-2007, 11:05 PM
Hey Kevin, I know LRO has a couple of entomology classes coming up. Sounds like a good question for byron or paula. Let us know what you decide on.

Mark...

tennswede
04-27-2007, 06:52 AM
The Classic book "Selective Trout" by Doug Swisher& Carl Richards is a good start, Orvis Streamside guides series includes several titles dealing with Entomology. Also, what previous poster said, a class would help tremendously. LRO should be able to help.

Rog 1
04-27-2007, 08:56 AM
Be careful ... this can lead to a hobby that will take away from your fishing time on the water. Had a friend in college that got going on this and actually had me bring him samples of bugs from some of the creeks....when he finally identified the bugs and matched them with the representative fly it turned out to be what my grandfather had been fishing with for years....a ginger quill..he had come to his choice by process of elimination.

russ
04-27-2007, 08:56 AM
All you need to know is, the color, approximate size, and if it is a mayfly, stonefly, caddis or nymph. The rest of the information isn't needed. If it's yellow, about a size 12, has its wings laid back flat against it's back when resting, then tie on a yellow salley or yellow caddis and start fishing. Who cares what the latin name is!

The class at LRO would probably help you out though.

tennswede
04-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Well, Russ I get a kick out of knowing if it is an Ephemerrella Subvario or Dorothea don't you?

BTW, where are you? We are camping on the 4 May. Are you coming?

russ
04-27-2007, 02:41 PM
I only care about 2 things when it comes to flies.
1. Are the trout eating them right now?
2. Do I have something that looks close enough?

I guess it is important too know if they are eating emergers, spinners, duns, or nymphs. But I still don't care if it is a djeouflathite or a jnbloint. None of the trout that i've ever conversed with care either. However I did have a fish tell me once that he was thouroughly impressed with my orvis fishing vest. I informed him that it wasn't orvis and it was some cheap o' vest and that sob had all of his buddies quit biting. Can you believe that?

Trouttater
04-27-2007, 09:28 PM
LRO does offer a very good aquatic entomology class. I took it a few years ago and it was really informative and even changed the way I tie and fish flies in the park. Highly recommended

Kevin_Thomas
04-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks guys... I guess I'll take the class. Tonight the biggest hatches were something rust colored in a size 12 and something pale yellow in a size 16...

tennswede
04-27-2007, 09:41 PM
Sounds like Light Hendrickson, also known as Sulphur or Pale Evening Dun or yellow dun, confusing isn't it. Proper name would be Ephemerella invaria or Ephemerella routunda, both are very similar.