PDA

View Full Version : Any Diamonds in the Rough

Woody
04-27-2007, 04:15 PM
This may not be the best place for this post, but I thought getting the opinion from fellow anglers would be of value. I have been looking to purchase some land in the Townsend, Wear Valley area for some time now. I've talked to a few realitors and have visited the usual spots (the same spots they take all us Yankees to). Don't want to spend an arm and a leg, but could for the right property. In an effort not to leave any stone unturned, I'm reaching out to the folks that appreciate the same things about East TN that I do.

At some point within a few years after purchase I will build, so a road and power lines are important. Most important is what my wife is looking for, and that is a view and some solitude. I've narrowed my search to a couple of places off the Foothills Parkway and would like to purchase within the next year. I realize this is not a real estate page and may not get any response. But any advise that might point me in a different direction would be greatly appreciated.

kytroutman
04-27-2007, 04:41 PM
My advice would be to buy a piece of property large enough that you will not have someone on your front porch is a couple of years. Also, Wears Valley seems to be getting more congested by the weekend so that is something to take into consideration.

budman
04-27-2007, 05:38 PM
have you thought about somewhere not in Blount or Sevier Co ? You may be able to find a better deal in, say Monroe or Cocke Co. Still close to civilization, but you might get more bang for your buck (for a longer period of time). Just a thought!
BTW- I totally agree with kytroutman - take into consideration the amount of development going up around a potential piece of property, you may be in a neighborhood before you know it.

Gerry Romer
04-27-2007, 07:06 PM
You might also want to look at the Walland area. Some real undervalued properties still there.

sammcdonald
04-27-2007, 08:13 PM
if you are looking at stuff in happy valley or millers cove, you might want to really, really look at part of these areas (off the foothills west). i wouldn't want my ex buying in most of that...and i don't like her much.

ijsouth
04-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Interesting topic...there's a part of me who would love to move up there - it was hard leaving the mountains a few days ago (which is why I made it home at 5AM). On the other hand, I know bayou country is home - my family has been in the New Orleans area since the 1840s. And then there's this consideration - I fear that the Smokies are being loved to death, and I don't want to contribute to that. In a way, it doesn't matter - I can't go anywhere until the kids are out of the house.

I have been thinking, though, that I wouldn't mind living in one of the outlying areas - such as Maryville...close enough for a very easy drive to the park, etc...of course, who knows what things will be like in 10 years or so - around here, you can't blink without something new being built.

Woody
04-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the input. Gerry / SAM, I hear you. I lived in Maryville from 69 to 79 (worked at Alcoa during the expansion) and want to come back to the area. I aspire to plant flowers at Dollywood (Ha, Ha, Ha). Need to find a way to pay for new waders,bugs and chardonay.

God bless East TN, Hope to see you at the BBQ if its still on???????

lauxier
04-29-2007, 11:11 PM
you put into words---what i have been trying to put into words for 30 years--"i fear the smokey's are being loved to death"...Thanks,I needed that,the park is a not so fragile ecosystem that has taken a lot of abuse,it still abides,for the present....the future will probably find our park,and will attack it with condo's,hotels,vacation subdivisions,being built,close,and crowding the park boundries,which will crowd the streams,which will have to be OK.I remember when the Wear Valley was agricultural with Maw And Paw groceries that were real,owned by real local people,who genuinely appreciated visitors and business...there's plenty of real estate for sale in the Wears Valley,if I was interested in buying real estate in Wear Valley I would do it now...and I do mean now,because as I post this thread,the land of the Wear Valley is being bought....

ijsouth
04-29-2007, 11:40 PM
Well, I can speak from a bit of personal experience. Where I live used to be a rural/resort area. Before the Lake Ponchartrain Causeway (world's longest bridge at 24 miles) was built, one had to either get on a boat or drive around the lake to get to what is known as the "North Shore". It was known as a place for wealthy New Orleanians to escape the heat (and malaria) of a New Orleans summer. Now, the Causeway had been around for years before I came around, but the area was still semi-rural. There were a few major subdivisions, and I grew up in one of them, but most of the trees were left intact. We had no major fast-food outlets around; when we finally got a Pizza Hut, there were lines to get in. Anyway, there were all sorts of swamps, canals, and bayous to fish in as a child, and I could reach them either on foot or on my bike. I would fish all spring and summer - spent all day outside. The population was rapidly growing even then, however, and there was no planning done for it - no plans for highways, infrastructure, etc. Houses were rapidly built where I used to fish. More and more commercial developments sprang up along the major roadways, quickly turning them into daily traffic jams. New subdivisions were built, this time without much thought for asthetics - most of the trees were knocked down. Now, when we get a period of heavy rain, areas flood that never did when I was young, and unlike New Orleans and Jefferson Parish on the South Shore, we have no pumping system to move the water out - all we have is gravity, and there's not much of a gradient down here. The same streams I fished in as a child have to move that water out, into Lake Ponchartrain, and now instead of coming from pine forests and swamps, it's coming in a flash from parking lots. Fast forward to today, and the aftermath of Katrina. Now, St Tammany Parish has 60,000 new residents, mostly refugees from St Bernard Parish, and they're permanently relocating here. The big Catholic high school in St Bernard, Archbishop Hannan High School, is building a new campus just a few miles from where I live.

Anyway, our little area, while nice, isn't anywhere near as spectacular as the Smokies. I've seen the traffic along the main drag through Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg - it matches anything I've had to encounter driving into the city every day for work. The good news is, it looks like most of the development is confined to that corridor; Byron had a good writeup on Townsend and the efforts to keep it a small town a few days ago on the fishing report. I don't mind development, but there has to be some thought behind it, some planning. As said a long time ago about Watergate - "it's hard to get the toothpaste back in the tube".