PDA

View Full Version : strange fish

ttas67
04-29-2007, 12:45 AM
Today on the Little River I caught a 10" horny head chub on a streamer. this fish was crazy looking, and fought strong. If you've never seen one, it is shaped somewhat like a trout and has little "horns" all over its head. this one was brilliantly colored. he had deep red bands around his body, a pink head and purple colored fins with white tips. tropical looking. if his face wasn't so ugly, I'd say he was one of the prettiest fish I'd ever seen. and he made a croaking noise. man, I've got to buy a new camera. I caught one of these a few years ago, but that one was pretty much colorless. I became curious about this fish and did a little online learning. apparently, they get these rich colors during breeding time. also of interest: this fish builds a nest by picking up rocks with its mouth!

has anyone else ever caught one of these, have any more info on them, or a picture of one in its spawning colors? I searched around online and there are some pictures, but none of one in spawning colors.

mmorgan135
04-29-2007, 03:13 AM
http://www.naturalsciences.org/funstuff/notebook/fishes/hornyheads.html

Did you see this one?

MTN_TRT
04-29-2007, 08:33 AM
yea we have the hornies up here. Theyre declining in numbers though. I cant believe he took a streamer, thats kinda strange. I believe the males get the horns and color during the spawn and then they die after that. I think that is how it goes. As a matter of fact I saw some hornies yesterday afternoon when I was fishin'. When they spawn its called a "show". These guys were 'showin' on a gravel bar.

Kingstonian
04-29-2007, 02:27 PM
The coloration and the "horns" indicate it is a male ready to spawn.

buckeyetrouter
04-29-2007, 06:39 PM
thank goodness I'm not one of those "one and done" fish......of course my exwife may have a different opinion:redface: ........ guess that's why there is an X before her title (truth is she is a good gal, just didn't work out)

buckeyetrouter.....errrrr....I mean fisherJim

sammcdonald
04-29-2007, 08:31 PM
thought that was a "flanker fish"

Brutus
05-03-2007, 01:36 PM
ttas67:

I caught one of those in the plunge pool below Abrams Falls a couple Septembers ago. I was so disappointed it wasn't a trout, but an amazing fish still. Being not from the area, I had never seen one. On the hike out I ran into a park naturalist and told her about it. She produced her digital camera which she had all variety of critters on (as a database), and produced an image of it. She said it was a 7 horned chub. I caught it in a back eddie on a bead head ptail. Don't shoot me, but it was as pretty as a trout. (almost)

SupaFly
05-03-2007, 07:24 PM
This is probably what you saw. I caught one on Basin Creek in North Carolina a few years back. It kinda gave me the creeps. He had the bumps on the head, but was not in spawning colors.

http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.asp?speciesID=577