PDA

View Full Version : sunday cataloochee report

ttas67
04-30-2007, 02:06 AM
Sunday I fished the cataloochee valley for the first time. I took my buddy JR with me, or I should say he took me, as he drove. we started up one creek, walking and fishing runs for about a half mile. I was using a small yellow stone pattern that I'd just designed the night before, and he tied on a parachute adams. After an hour or so, he'd had a couple of half-hearted rises and I had not so much as a look from a fish. I'm pretty sure we were fishing behind someone. Also, since this pattern I tied up was so far unproven, I was starting to lose any confidence in it. we decided to scrap this creek and head to another close by.

within minutes I caught a nice 12" brown. shortly after that, and to my suprise, I caught a small brookie. I went back and forth catching healthy browns and little brookies, and eventually caught a fat 10" bow. grand slam! So my fly worked out after all, and I had a pretty good day. My buddy hooked into a few browns and some brookies as well, but no bow. no elk were spotted, but I did see a crazy dragonfly that was every bit of 6" long.

Sivad
04-30-2007, 08:04 AM
The grand slam on an un-tested fly. You are the man. Glad to hear you had a good weekend on the water.

DryFly1
04-30-2007, 08:17 AM
Hey Trevor,

The Cataloochee Valley is a special place. Good to hear you guys had a successful day and a grand slam to boot!

Mark....

David Knapp
04-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Glad you had a good day! I wish I could have gone but I've been studying for finals...:eek:

Kevin_Thomas
04-30-2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the report! I've never fished there... Would you go back?

ttas67
04-30-2007, 08:48 PM
I should've been studying for finals, but the call of the wild trout is strong.

ijsouth
04-30-2007, 09:05 PM
I fished there last Thanksgiving - my first try at fishing the Smokies. No luck, but then I was VERY green at the time...I've learned a lot since then, and would love to give it another shot. It's a bit of a drive to get in there, but it sure is beautiful. I have heard mixed reports on the fishing there, though.

ChemEAngler
04-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Trevor,

The Cataloochee Valley is my favorite place to fish in the Smokies, and we usually have had good luck in the past. You have such a wide variety of streams that are easily accessible from the campground, not to mention the possibility of fishing alongside elk. I have been trying to get over there for over a month now, and everytime I have a weekend open up the weather turns sour on me. Look forward to heading up that way. Did you happen to notice how crowded the campground was?

Travis

ttas67
04-30-2007, 10:26 PM
campground was not too crowded. there were some people there that had these things set up, they were like a hut, shaped like a house with a door and had chimney stacks coming out of them. thick pipes with tarp walls and a pitched roof. I've never seen one before, it was like a portable house.

I've heard mixed reports up there as well. I think it may just be more technical water. while I caught nice fish, It was challenging (I like that though). it's really hard to describe. I was catching fish steadily, but everything had to be perfect, and I felt like every catch was a direct result of concentration and intention. you had to really read the water and pick your spots. that kind of fishing gives you the feeling that you're actually catching them and they're not just willy nilly hitting your fly. I'm no expert now, but I can tell you that 2 years ago I would have went up there and gotten skunked.