PDA

View Full Version : Very Strange Sunday But Beautiful Nevertheless

tennswede
04-30-2007, 01:34 PM
I joined up with Kevin for a day on the baby shoe of Abrams. After waiting in line at the gate for half an hour we made our drive to the falls parking area. It was a gorgeous morning with mist in the air and the smell of charred wood after the controlled burns which took place earlier in the week. I guess we began fishing at about 8:30 in the morning. It was instantly a challenge. The water was somewhat stained but at an ideal 54 degrees. We saw sulphurs and some Little yellow stones but no top activity at all. I used a BH Prince size 10 all day and managed to catch 11 bows. I caught one fish which I thought was big and hollered at Kevin. Man I got a big one, well when it came to hand it was 9 inches. I don't know where that trout got it's strength from. We finished fishing at about 3pm and began our trek back. NOW FOR THE INTERESTING PART.

I started feeling a little slow and weak. Kevin was walking briskly in front of me and I was just feeling out of shape. I thought this was just from not fishing much and sitting at home all winter. I was also very hungry which is not normal for me since I had eaten a good breakfast and several fruit bars on the stream.

We said our good byes and I went to LRO to pick up some flies. I talked to Daniel for second while I was picking out some flies. I began to fell extremely fatigued and disoriented in the store. I apologized to Daniel for being kind of tired and not talking like my usual self. I checked out and went over to the Pizza Hut across the street. I got a drink and ate some food and felt a little better.

Then after leaving the restaurant I got the same feeling again. I got real dizzy and felt nauseated. I knew it wasn't the food since I had the same feeling inside LRO about forty minutes earlier. I sat in my car for five minutes and I felt okay enough to drive. I felt somewhat okay during the drive to Knoxville because I was holding my head still against the headrest in my car.

Then it happened. I was 300 yards from my driveway, and I felt extremely dizzy and nauseated. I made it to my house and hollered to my wife we might have to call an ambulance. I stumbled to my bed like a drunk and my wife hollers what you do want? Ambulance or not? I said well let me just lie here for a while. I laid on that bed until 10 pm without moving. I couldn't go to the bathroom or nothing. If I tried to rise the whole room would spin and my eyes would get this black bars blurring my vision. I lied awake most of the night and had to call in sick this morning. I am still feeling a little dizzy but better.

Anyone have any idea what this was? sure makes for an interesting day.

Woody
04-30-2007, 01:49 PM
Sounds like a minor stroke. Have you had your blood presure check lately. Go to WebMD.com and type in the simptoms. Better yet, go see a real doctor.

Paula Begley
04-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Hans

GO TO A DOCTOR!

Paula

mike9593
04-30-2007, 01:54 PM
I have had the exact same symptoms 3 times. I was teaching school in about 1999. I got real dizzy and sick to my stomach. I told the principal I was going to have to go home. He told me it sounded like an inner ear infection. I found out later at the docs that's exactly what it was. I'm no doctor, but that's what it sounds like. It's a scary feeling. It's worth checking out. Same exact symptoms!!!

tennswede
04-30-2007, 02:08 PM
ear related, hmm. Probably true since my mom has had dizzy spells and headaches since child hood. I used to work with a lady who had similar symptoms and she had vertigo. I'm feeling much better now, and I don't think it was stroke or any heart problem. I was actually thinking more like migraine or ear problems. I guess I should add that I have had headaches and slight nausea all my life due to sinus infections and I inherited this from my mom. If it comes back I will definitely go to the doctor. I'm just not so sure that there is a cure. Mom is 66 and they haven't cured her yet.

Anyway, I just thought it would be interesting to share a very strange Sunday for me.

donwinn
04-30-2007, 03:03 PM
I have had vertigo problems due to sinus issues for several years now. I generally have dizziness, vomiting, weakness, and sweats as symptoms. It could be inner ear/vertigo, but the thing that seems out of place is the vision issue. I really think you should go see a doctor. I am not a doctor, and I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but both my parents were in the medical field and I would sure get this checked out.

David Knapp
04-30-2007, 03:15 PM
What everyone else said....go see a Doctor! My health is one thing I don't mess with. I enjoy my time on the water too much to risk losing it...

Flying Trout
04-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Even if it is just an ear thing you'll have that documentation if anything bad ever happens. Shouldn't mess with your health.

Kytroutbum
04-30-2007, 06:04 PM
I Had Exactly The Same Thing Happen 8 Years Ago, After Coming Back From Fishing The West Prong. Nausea Vomiting Thought It Was Food Poisoning. Doctor In Sevierville Thought It Was Also. I Felt A Little Better But Not Great But Fished The Rest Of The Weekend, And Finally Went To My Own Doctor On Monday. Did A Stress Test On Tuesday Morning. Then Had A Heart Cath. And An Angioplasty And Stent With A Major Blockage At The Entrance To A Major Artery.

Don't Wait!!! I Wouldn't Be Here Now If I Had Waited Till The Next Time.

ijsouth
04-30-2007, 07:56 PM
My mom has low blood pressure, and she has episodes just like you're describing, only not quite as severe. The inner ear thing that others mentioned might be the source, too...of course, the thing is to go see a doctor.

Kevin_Thomas
04-30-2007, 09:07 PM
Glad you're feeling better! I had a great time... My first (and maybe last) trip to Abram's without falling.

Looking forward to some Brookies this summer!

Kevin

msdilligaff
05-01-2007, 10:02 AM
Don't mess with your health!!!! Happen to Russel end of March and he had a mild heart attack and now has a stent in his heart. Don't play with it GO TO THE DOCTOR!!!!!!!!

Realtyman
05-01-2007, 12:51 PM
If you don't go to the doctor then you are cheating yourself and your family by placing your pride and ego above common sense. Never met you but still have compassion for other angler's because today I am free and I choose to. Hope you choose to also.

tennswede
05-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Thanks all, I'm fine and I had a physical in march all my levels are fine, perfect blood pressure, sugar levels good, not overweight. I do have had problems with sinus and dizziness since my teen years. I have never had real vertigo though until this past Sunday. I know figured out what caused the whole thing. I drank only a pint of water in seven hours on the stream. The hike out is two miles with a couple of big hills. I got to Townsend and I was extremely hungry due to not eating more than a couple of granola bars for lunch. I don't know what I was thinking. I usually drink lot's of water and bring plenty of food. I guess my planning was off this time. Anyway, this lead to sudden drop of blood sugar and this lead to the Vertigo. I knew it wasn't stroke related or hurt related. I had no pain in my head, no arm pain, no shortness of breath, no chest pain. Thanks all for the concern and I'm fit for next time.

ttas67
05-01-2007, 11:52 PM
The way I saw you hopping boulders at greenbriar, I'd say you're in top form

Jswitow
05-02-2007, 12:16 AM
Hans,
I thought I was bad (about ignoring problems), but you are worse! Go see a doctor!
Best,
John

tennswede
05-02-2007, 07:51 AM
nah, I'm not ignoring anything. I had a checkup March 19 and everything is fine,. I just wanted to share a strange Sunday for me with everyone else. If you have vertigo you can't go to a doctor because you have to lie still in bed. If you try to sit up everything spins. I wasn't going to sit three hours in a Knoxville emergencey room waiting for them to tell me to go home and rest.
The ony other viable option would have been to call an ambulance.

I'm not trying to diss the medical field here, but going to the doctore has it's place and staying put has it's place. I will end this thread here since this is goint out of topic and subject. No harm done and everyone's opinion is respected.

Listen, I'm going camping this Friday for the first time since my army days in 1987, wish me luck and if someone sees a smelly, hairy guy walking in to the store on Sunday afternoon it is me.

Thanks,