PDA

View Full Version : Hugh Hartsell

Kevin_Thomas
04-30-2007, 08:46 PM
Met up with Mr. Hartsell at Metcalf this morning for his adavanced nymphing class. What a guy... Very professional and knowledgeable. We had a great time working a double nymph rig of "Abram's Searcher & Smoky Mountain Blackbird" The fishing was a bit slow, but I didn't mind. I catch fish all the time, today was about learning and just having a good time listening to everything he had to offer. I've been looking forward to fishing with him since the fly tying days earlier this year. If you have not fished with Mr. Hartsell you should soon!

He did scare me at the end of the day when he said he didn't have many flies tied up for me to purchase. His flies are amazing and apparently he struggles to keep up with demand. Thankfully he scrounged up about a dozen flies for me. I will probably set aside a few to pass along to my son one day...

Thanks again Hugh!
Kevin

ijsouth
04-30-2007, 09:08 PM
I was fishing with some guides up in Virginia last week - I learned a lot, particularly in presentation and hook-setting, which was driving me nuts. I fished Cosby before I headed up there, and I missed the first 10 strikes I had. After learning how to really set the hook properly, I'm up to about 70% landing success.

I've heard a lot of good things about Mr Hartsell and his flies. Learning to fish nymphs "by feel" as opposed to relying on an indicator is a huge plus.

diamonddave7676
04-30-2007, 10:59 PM
Yes Hugh's flies are amazing. I purchased some from him over a year ago and they are the best quality and best looking flies I have ever seen.

Hugh Hartsell
04-30-2007, 11:30 PM
Sometimes, I think that no one can have a better job than I have. What can be more rewarding than getting to guide and teach others about a sport as beautiful as flyfishing. Where can you go to be in any more beautiful setting, and what can you accomplish that is greater than seeing someone start at this most pleasurable sport and become accomplished at it by the end of the day. It has been my pleasure to be a part of teaching some of the nicest people that anyone could ask to meet. Sometimes it's a struggle all the way thru the day and sometimes it just looks like the individual is born with a flyrod in his hand. Whichever it may be, it is always a satisfying feeling of accomplishment when student breaks over the edge and gets the resuts of all you have been teaching them, to work. It may just be that someone enjoys the beauty of a fly that I have tied or it may be that learning to fish a particular way has changed their outcome on the stream. Whichever way it affects you, my thanks to all of you, that I have had any assocation with. I have the greatest and most satisfying job in the world.
GOOD FISHING TO YOU ALL!

Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

WNCFLY
05-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Hugh, do you tie all the flies you sell on your website? I figured you tie the special ones, but I was just curious if you tie all the others.

Realtyman
05-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Hugh stays busy. I have been trying to get our schedules to overlap for a month now while the fishing is good. But I agree with redc4man, I'm interested in the learning as I can catch fish most anytime. Someday Hugh, someday.

Hugh Hartsell
05-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Good afternoon,WNCFLY. I do tie all of the flies that you see on my website. I hope that you have enjoyed looking at it. Byron was kind enough to allow me to have a day this winter, in the Fly Tiers Weekend. Maybe if he has an opening again this coming winter, we can all sit down and look at some of the patterns that you like. We had some great fun at this past winters event, with a bunch of great tiers, and I hope that you get to make it to the next one. I hope that you're getting out on the stream a lot this Spring.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

WNCFLY
05-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the info hugh. I will be buying alot of your flies pretty soon. I refuse to buy flies tied in China or Mexico so until I learn to tie my own I will be honored to use yours. I also plan on taking the nymph class later in the year.

billyspey
05-02-2007, 09:50 PM
be careful bragging on hugh his head will not fit on your screen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good guy and good friend .

tngreg
05-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Hugh is a true southern gentleman!
I was fortunate enough to meet him this winter at his fly tying class at LRO. What a great learning experience, his reputation is right on for being a good hearted mentor to anyone just getting into the art of fly tying and fly fishing.

Very inspiring indeed!

Tight Lines
Greg

mtnman2888
05-03-2007, 09:28 AM
His flies are the best around and about 99% of the time one of his flies are attached to my line. His patterns are truely unique and will catch fish like no other. I've had the pleasure of fishing with him on a couple of occasions and i never stop learning. Glad you got a day out on the water with him.

Craig