PDA

View Full Version : Backcountry article

Gerry Romer
04-30-2007, 11:33 PM
Interesting article from Sunday's Knoxville News Sentinel about backcountry preparedness.

http://knoxnews.com/kns/travel/article/0,1406,KNS_336_5506527,00.html

ijsouth
04-30-2007, 11:46 PM
Good article...I printed it out. I was already going to get whistles for my kids and myself when we go out on the streams - perfect if we get separated, etc.

Gerry Romer
05-01-2007, 12:09 AM
As I understand it, the whistles are also a good idea for letting any bears that are in the area know that there are humans nearby...

Gerry

ttas67
05-01-2007, 01:15 AM
a "space blanket" is something I HIGHLY recommend. the article said he has one made of aluminum, I don't know what that is, but I had one made of something like mylar. they're only a couple dollars, could fit in a wallet and could really save your life.

when I was in the everglades, one night it got brutally cold. I was in a sleeping bag, clothed up pretty well but that wasn't helping. I got to the point that my teeth were chattering uncontrollably and I seriously thought I was going to go into hypothermia. it was a strange kind of cold. the air itself was just real cool. I don't know if it was the humidity mixed with the cold air, or the fact that we were all sunburned, but everybody there agreed, that was about the most uncomfortable temp wise they'd ever been. well, I'd had a couple of those in my pack and forgot about it. after a few hours shivering to the bone, I remembered it. I took off my clothes, slid in and within a few minutes was nice and toasty. I don't know what I'd have done without it. those things are amazing.

DryFly1
05-01-2007, 10:15 AM
Enjoyed the article.

I carry a whistle that has a compass/thermometer and a magnifying glass(basspro). It's light weight and serves several purposes while out in the backcountry. When it comes to backcountry camping and fishing it always a good idea to use things that have multiple uses and this also cuts down on weight.

I carry a space blanket and large garbage bags with me. The trash compactor bags are more durable,lightweight,cheap and have several uses.
1. Pack cover
2. Poncho-just poke a hole for head and arms
3. Vapor Barrier- This is something that can be a life saver in cold weather and only used around camp or in your sleeping bag. Poke a hole for head and arms and put it on "first" right against your skin and then layer up or get into your bag with a shirt over it. It is cold at first but warms up quickly due to body heat and will keep you nice and toasty.
4.Put over end of sleeping bag if your feet tend to stay cold. Many other uses.

Hate to sound selfish but the article mentioned that less people are going into the backcountry? That means more solitude for us BC anglers!!

Mark....

TroutDude
05-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Nice Article.

What other things do you carry into the back country.

I have a little container that I keep in the pack that holds the following items.

space blanket
whistle
bandaids and antibiotic ointments
moleskin
ankle wrap
leatherman micra
safety pin
compass
water purification tablets
jelly belly sports beans
flint fire starter
and my saving grace ... a good luck pig

Barbara
05-01-2007, 02:59 PM
My husband, notorious for falling, took a header off the trail a week ago Sunday. Luckily he was not seriously hurt. But it was so steep he struggled to get back up without slipping and falling again. I wished for a length of lightweight nylon rope that I could have tied off to a tree and thrown down to him for help getting up the cliffside. A lady came along with a pocket full of antibacterial wipes, great to clean off the blood and dirt, just little squares wrapped in plastic, small, lightweight, we are getting some of those too. And a whistle..and more insurance, lots more.

DryFly1
05-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Hey Barbara,

Glad to hear that he is ok! Next time you go pick up 50ft of 5/50 cord or "parachute cord". It is small,light wt and will hold anyone that needs a hand.

Mark....

Barbara
05-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Is parachute cord found at Wal-Mart or hardware store or hiking specialty stores??

Troutman
05-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Look for it at most Hunting supply stores. Maybe even Walmart. One of the best things you could carry. It has probably more uses than duct tape. I've doubled a 50 ft length and rappelled down short distances with it. No soldier or outdoorsperson should be without it. That and a sharp knife! good sugg. Mark.

Barbara
05-01-2007, 05:13 PM
You doubled it? Will it hold 220# single? He was so far down I couldn't have reached him doubled. By the way, his glasses are still down there, brand new, had um 1 week.

DryFly1
05-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Barbara,

It has a tensile strength of 550lbs-thus 5/50 cord. It might just have 550 uses! I carry 50 feet every time I go into the BC. I have never doubled the cord for anything,but if rappelling,it might be a good precaution!

* As troutman said it can be found at most athletic stores,wally-world,etc.....

Mark....

mmorgan135
05-01-2007, 09:21 PM
The nice thing about most parachute chord is that alot of them are made up of either 5 or 7 individual chords of rope covered by an outer layer. You can unbraid or split open the outer layer and have more than double the rope that you thought you had. Granted I wouldnt want to be rappelling on a single strand but for other camping purposes it works out great.

Barbara
05-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Going to Wally world to look for this on my lunch hour.

I have a notion to try going down that cliff after hubby's glasses, if he promises to pull me up should I get stuck. Do I trust that man? Will he have my insurance policy in his back pocket?:eek: