PDA

View Full Version : Will the fishing be slow this year?

Kevin_Thomas
05-01-2007, 10:08 AM
The fish are struggling to turn on and it has got me wondering... With all this crazy weather will this be a slow year?

DryFly1
05-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Absolutely not! The fishing is going to be great! Heck, it's already been great! Only Lynn Camp will be slow for that redc4man character. HeHe...

Mark...

David Knapp
05-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Fishing will be good this year but it might take different tactics from what we are used to. My first few trips to the mountains this year revealed that there are good numbers of "nice" sized fish available this year. I think that this may be a good year size-wise but of course, time will only tell. The backcountry will be lights out for those willing to hike....

Kevin_Thomas
05-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Lynn Camp will be slow for everyone, so my advice would be to go somewhere else. However, I may venture up there a time or two just to verify the poor conditions...

David Knapp
05-01-2007, 10:35 AM
I think you'll need a witness so you should probably let me know when you'll be checking on this stream....:rolleyes: Check your pm's....

Kevin_Thomas
05-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Maybe my question should have been... Will the catching be slow this year? 'cause I know we will all be fishing either way!

Troutman
05-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Overall the fishing so far this year has been very good for me. I think it will get better if we could catch up on the local rainfall amounts. I just hope we don't have any bad flooding rains that causes fish kills like in the past. Theres always up and down years, we just have to adapt and change tactics somewhat.

ijsouth
05-01-2007, 08:01 PM
I had to answer "no idea", as this will be my first full year of fishing the smokies, and even that is sporadic - every couple of months. Anyway, I have no basis to compare yet - all I can say is, I was up over New Year's - nothing, up at the end of February - nothing, up in the second week in April - got a few under miserable conditions, up the next week in April - caught a bunch of brookies. Lynn Camp seemed a bit sluggish - all the action on nymphs, but then again I only fished it for a few hours, which really isn't a fair test.

We'll be back up in June sometime - maybe that will give some indication. One thing's for sure, this Spring has been messed up, weather-wise.

ttas67
05-01-2007, 11:43 PM
so far, this is turning out to be one of the best fishing years yet! I wouldn't say I've necessarily been catching more fish, however: I've met so many great people and made some really good friends on this board, learned to tie, learned a few new streams, and some new tricks to go along with that. in 2007 so far I've caught my biggest fish (in the park), my first grand slam, and my first fish on a fly I tied. to top it all off I'm planning 3 weeks in yellowstone. I feel very blessed.

I think Plateau Angler is correct about there being more nice sized fish. I've noticed this myself. I've also noticed that I'm catching alot more browns than is normal.

May all of you have a good and safe fishing year.

Barbara
05-02-2007, 09:54 AM
"I've also noticed that I'm catching alot more browns than is normal."

Interesting comment about browns. Last year I was happily surprised to catch a brown anywhere except above Elkmont. Two weeks ago above Metcalf I caught 3 in a row in a place I was expecting rainbows. Anyone have any observations?

I admit I was a pretty bad trout fisher last year, but are browns that much different from rainbow?

Second question: My friends ask if rainbow and brown taste differently? My first thought is they should, since their diet is different. However, I never ate a brown so I can't compare.

Rog 1
05-02-2007, 10:08 AM
They do eat the same....unless you get a really big brown their diet is about the same....have caught most of my browns on the same flies I catch everything else on.....

Barbara
05-02-2007, 11:31 AM
When I said the diet of brown/rainbow was different; I was told by a guide that rainbow dined on insects exclusively while brown would eat insects and other fish. The extra protein/calories/etc. = larger growth, maybe different taste? I do not know if that is true or not.

ttas67
05-02-2007, 11:37 AM
last few times at metcalf I have caught more browns than rainbows.

I've caught rainbows on streamers which imitate minnows, so I believe they'll eat other fish as well.

Rog 1
05-02-2007, 12:10 PM
I have always heard big browns associated with a diet that included other small fish....I do know that both will dine on crayfish that frequent the streams in the park....just wonder if such an imitation floated through one of those deep pools would work.....

flyman
05-04-2007, 12:26 PM
I do have some concern about the rain deficit we have had this spring. Low water levels and the heat of summer could definitely have an adverse affect on the fishing.

ijsouth
05-04-2007, 07:38 PM
I do have some concern about the rain deficit we have had this spring. Low water levels and the heat of summer could definitely have an adverse affect on the fishing.

I've been concerned about that, too, but it looks like the rains are coming this weekend for y'all. Down here, we could have made up that 6 inch deficit in about an hour - it poured, and we had quite a bit of street flooding; there's a lot of speculation that the pumping system for New Orleans, damaged by Katrina, still isn't up to snuff.

That's always the fear - the rain will come all at once, instead of being good and steady. Too much at once isn't good for either trout or cars.